Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Onita LaFebre
  • North Hollywood, CA
Votes |
Im being bullied

Onita LaFebre
  • North Hollywood, CA
Posted

What are the landlords responsibility when there is a bully.  I live in a 3 apartment building and I am constantly being yelled at and called names by a woman who lives in one of the apartments.  Last week she pushed me.  The landlords tell me that there is nothing they can do.  I live in a rent control building.  Last year a woman who lived here for 15 years moved out because of this bully.  Now she is focused on me. Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
JERMAINE LUCAS
  • Investor
  • Woodbridge, Virginia, landlord
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied

Hi Onita 

My recommendation would be to call the police

User Stats

Votes
David Dachtera
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Rockford, IL
Votes |
  • Rockford, IL
Replied

Yes - this should be a civil matter. At the very least, harassment looks like a good place to start.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
JERMAINE LUCAS
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied

sorry posted by accident

In many cities the police rate the property by amount of calls they receive. When we invested in Iowa the police would ever send us a report that showed our points.

That may motivate your landlord to put some pressure on his problem tenant.

User Stats

Votes
Ned Carey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
ModeratorReplied

The landlord is not responsible for anything a neighbor in another building does. The landlord is responsible for neighbors in his own building. 

What happened to the person who left last year is called "Constructive eviction" In other words, she was forced to leave because the landlord did nothing to fix the situation. This can be big trouble for a landlord. 

California is a very tenant friendly state. My guess is it would be worth talking to an attorney about this. It may be helpful to contact the woman that left.

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Replied

You need to call the police each and every time you are threatened or physically harassed. Your neighbors need to do the same.  You need to make sure that all incidents are reported and that you have the incident report number.  Your landlord needs to be informed of each and every incident, with the report number.  The landlords can and should evict a tenant who is breaking the terms of their lease.  Your neighbor's behavior is in violation of most basic lease terms. The police can advise if you should obtain a restraining order.  If you get no resolution after reporting repeated documented incidents, step it up and get to a legal aid attorney.  Document everything.  

User Stats

Votes
Onita LaFebre
  • North Hollywood, CA
Votes |
  • North Hollywood, CA
Replied

Thank you!  This woman/bully lives in one if the three apartments in the building I live in ...the landlord lives in the apartment between us.  He has told me that he doesn't approach her because he is frightened that she might kill herself in the apartment.  She is that unstable. They say they live next door to her and they don't want to live with any confrontation.  But what about me...I am constantly being called horrible names and this last time she pushed me.  He told me tonight that he understands that the tenant that moved out was harassed by the bully.  But he didn't do anything he says he contacted an attorney and was told there was nothing he could do.  This a month to month with no current lease.  We did sign one when we initially moved in

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Replied
Originally posted by @Onita LaFebre:

Thank you!  This woman/bully lives in one if the three apartments in the building I live in ...the landlord lives in the apartment between us.  He has told me that he doesn't approach her because he is frightened that she might kill herself in the apartment.  She is that unstable. They say they live next door to her and they don't want to live with any confrontation.  But what about me...I am constantly being called horrible names and this last time she pushed me.  He told me tonight that he understands that the tenant that moved out was harassed by the bully.  But he didn't do anything he says he contacted an attorney and was told there was nothing he could do.  This a month to month with no current lease.  We did sign one when we initially moved in

You might end up choosing to leave like the former tenant.  You've got a landlord living in the property who won't act for fear of retaliation or that the tenant will harm herself.  If you force the issue legally with the landlord, you are then living in a 3 unit building with a bully AND a landlord who will become resentful and fearful of you.  You have rights to safety and quiet enjoyment in the property, but it seems unlikely that you will be able get it. Your landlord is actually the problem.  I'd be making plans to find a different apartment.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Yeats
  • Lender
  • Fort Pierce, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Fort Pierce, FL
Replied

If this other tenant has made threats of harming either someone else or herself (even threats to kill herself), the authorities can invoke the Baker Act against her which can result in an involuntary institutionalization or other steps.

PLEASE beware that this does NOT constitute legal advice .... just my (limited) understanding.

I fullly agree with marie.  Follow her advice.

User Stats

Votes
Gino Barbaro
Pro Member
#1 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • St Augustine, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • St Augustine, FL
Replied

@Onita LaFebre

Hi onita

Have you just thought about moving out?  It must be difficult living in that environment.  I would at least tape the confrontations and if you decide to go to the authorities, you have proof

You are in my thoughts 

Gino

User Stats

Votes
Onita LaFebre
  • North Hollywood, CA
Votes |
  • North Hollywood, CA
Replied

I have the most beautiful apt for the rent I pay...I really don't want to move...I was told today by the landlord that they may move out in June because of her

User Stats

Votes
Onita LaFebre
  • North Hollywood, CA
Votes |
  • North Hollywood, CA
Replied

one last thing...do you know of any law that requires the landlord to step in when another tenant is bullied and if so where can I read about it...thank you so very much

User Stats

Votes
Onita LaFebre
  • North Hollywood, CA
Votes |
  • North Hollywood, CA
Replied
Originally posted by @Gino Barbaro:

@Onita LaFebre

Hi onita

Have you just thought about moving out?  It must be difficult living in that environment.  I would at least tape the confrontations and if you decide to go to the authorities, you have proof

You are in my thoughts 

Gino

Hi thank you for your redonse...I greatly appreciate it...you know of any law that requires the landlord to step in when another tenant is bullied and if so where can I read about it...thank you so very much

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Onita LaFebre
  • North Hollywood, CA
Votes |
  • North Hollywood, CA
Replied
Originally posted by @Ned Carey:

The landlord is not responsible for anything a neighbor in another building does. The landlord is responsible for neighbors in his own building. 

What happened to the person who left last year is called "Constructive eviction" In other words, she was forced to leave because the landlord did nothing to fix the situation. This can be big trouble for a landlord. 

California is a very tenant friendly state. My guess is it would be worth talking to an attorney about this. It may be helpful to contact the woman that left.

Hi thank you for your redonse...I greatly appreciate it...you know of any law that requires the landlord to step in when another tenant is bullied and if so where can I read about it...thank you so very much

User Stats

Votes
Ned Carey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
ModeratorReplied

@Onita LaFebre You  might check out the website of Nolo Press. They publish self help legal books. I know they have a book on California landlord tenant law. they have good free info on their site

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Allentown, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Allentown, PA
Replied

Life is too short to mess with this.  You have a beautiful apartment, but a crappy neighbor, and a crappier landlord.  Quality of life is important.  I would advise you to move, but understand that as a renter, you will never have control over some of these issues.