has there ever been a major fire near your rental property?

has there ever been a major fire near your rental property?

Flipper/Rehabber · Monterey, CA · Member since 2014 · 193 posts · 117 votes

This week, one of the huge fires in California is close to my rental properties, which are a few hours' drive from my home. I was visiting my rentals last week; the sky was ugly with smoke, and everything was blanketed in ash. My tenants have been under mandatory evacuation, but at this point it looks like the houses will be spared--if the wind doesn't shift. 

My landlording guides don't cover this kind of situation! Have you ever dealt with this kind of thing? If so, any pointers about what to do, what to watch for, what might be different in the aftermath? Or what to do if the fire does come closer, even burn my places?

I've been in touch with all tenants via texting, and they're all safe with family nearby. I've asked them to let me know of any major changes, and to let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Is there anything more I can/should do?

Thank you!

0Reply
43 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
11y

@Carol Venolia  our rental properties are the least of our problems .

the lake co fire is devastating, over 700 homes burned to the ground one person died

And folks have lost their pets, horses are running around not knowing where to go and to horse owners this is like losing children.

My brother lives in the affected area he is also a heavy equipment operator on Sat he got called to the butte fire  he has worked virtually non stop on fires this summer. Probably out there trying to save your rental !!

shortly there after the Valley fire ( lake county erupted 2 miles north of his small acreage. His wife had to evac with the cloths on her back and the small animals they had to let there horses run free.. and they have been camping in Kelseyville not know yet if their home is destroyed and where their horses are.. this type of disaster far transcends the worries of absentee landlords and their properties which are probably all insured and if they are not then the landlord is an idiot... plus you have loss of rent in most..

We cannot down play what's happening in N. CA is a mitigated disaster of biblical proportions and we need to show the proper respect to those that live there and have been wiped out.

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    11y

    @Carol Venolia The closes I came to the situation was watching the house next door to one of my properties burn down.  Just a house fire, not giant wild fires, so I have no advice to give.  When that fire was next door, it was the first time I was thankful for having asbestos siding on the house though. If it were vinyl or wood siding, my house likely would have burned down too.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Monterey, CA · Member since 2014 · 193 posts · 117 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    @Carol Venolia The closes I came to the situation was watching the house next door to one of my properties burn down.  Just a house fire, not giant wild fires, so I have no advice to give.  When that fire was next door, it was the first time I was thankful for having asbestos siding on the house though. If it were vinyl or wood siding, my house likely would have burned down too.

     Asbestos siding does sound like good advise for the next rehab! I will say that two of my units have stucco siding, and two are mobiles with metal siding. Only one has wood siding. So maybe I'm not in too bad shape?  ;-)

  • Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    Hi Carol,

    Newbie here from Oakland. Glad to hear your tenants and property are safe.   I was in the middle of bidding on our first rental home last week when a smaller wildfire broke out about 4 miles up the road and everything stopped because we can't get insurance.  It is located in the Sierra foothills.  Maybe the fact that it's sandwiched between two larger fires has something to do with it too.  We don't invest in the Bay Area because (besides not being able to afford it) my husband can't stomach the earthquake risk!   I'm interested to know how your story unfolds, keep us posted.

    Anne

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Monterey, CA · Member since 2014 · 193 posts · 117 votes
    11y

    Will do, @Anne Dahl! Sounds like we may be investing in the same area. Good luck with that deal!

  • Rocklin, CA · Member since 2015 · 207 posts · 66 votes
    11y

    Are your Properties in Lake County?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Monterey, CA · Member since 2014 · 193 posts · 117 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Stephen Haynes:

    Are your Properties in Lake County?

     Nope, Gold Country. But Lake County wouldn't be much fun right now either!

  • Rocklin, CA · Member since 2015 · 207 posts · 66 votes
    11y

    Oh I am from Auburn area originally and now live in Rocklin. I had a few friends lose there rentals in the 49er fire a few years ago. That is why it is very important to make sure all of your insurance's are up to date and also to highly advise your tenants to have renters insurance if not mandate it.

  • Rocklin, CA · Member since 2015 · 207 posts · 66 votes
    11y

    Oh the friends that lost their Rentals rebuilt and also bought a few more properties in the same neighborhood. All ended up working out for them in the long run. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Monterey, CA · Member since 2014 · 193 posts · 117 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Stephen Haynes:

    Oh I am from Auburn area originally and now live in Rocklin. I had a few friends lose there rentals in the 49er fire a few years ago. That is why it is very important to make sure all of your insurance's are up to date and also to highly advise your tenants to have renters insurance if not mandate it.

     Yeah, I need to talk with my insurance agent. I've been upgrading the places, so probably need more insurance. I do require tenants to get renter's insurance, but several of them moved in recently and haven't gotten it yet--now I'm concerned that they may not be able to get it for a while. Any ideas about that?

    Thanks!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Monterey, CA · Member since 2014 · 193 posts · 117 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Stephen Haynes:

    Oh the friends that lost their Rentals rebuilt and also bought a few more properties in the same neighborhood. All ended up working out for them in the long run. 

     Glad to hear that!

  • Rocklin, CA · Member since 2015 · 207 posts · 66 votes
    11y

    What town in the are the properties in I have several agents I work with in the area I could refer a few.

  • Rocklin, CA · Member since 2015 · 207 posts · 66 votes
    11y

    Most of the time renters policies don't come out to check everything like homeowners policies do. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Monterey, CA · Member since 2014 · 193 posts · 117 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Stephen Haynes:

    What town in the are the properties in I have several agents I work with in the area I could refer a few.

     Thank you, Stephen! I've got rentals in San Andreas and Angels Camp. Know any agents there who might be able to help my tenants with renter's insurance (including dog-bite insurance)?

  • Jason BottPro Member
    Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Carol Venolia Hopefully the firs storm misses you, but if it doesn't, the insurance adjuster will want you to show proof of what ever you lost.  I cant advise enough, DOCUMENT all you can.   The more detailed info you have on your buildings and the improvements you have made, the less wiggle room the insurance carrier has to question your claim.  So, pictures and receipts showing $ amounts for improvements with dates associated with it will go a long way.

    Good luck!

  • Rocklin, CA · Member since 2015 · 207 posts · 66 votes
    11y

    No I don't have anyone in those areas but I know that Nationwide Carries a pretty good renters policy I was speaking with one of their agents a month ago about setting up renters policies for the properties I manage.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Monterey, CA · Member since 2014 · 193 posts · 117 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jason Bott:

    @Carol Venolia Hopefully the firs storm misses you, but if it doesn't, the insurance adjuster will want you to show proof of what ever you lost.  I cant advise enough, DOCUMENT all you can.   The more detailed info you have on your buildings and the improvements you have made, the less wiggle room the insurance carrier has to question your claim.  So, pictures and receipts showing $ amounts for improvements with dates associated with it will go a long way.

    Good luck!

     Thank you, Jason! Fortunately, I've saved all receipts and taken photos. I thought I was just being a big egotistical, taking pictures at every stage of the renovations. But when the fire started, I felt glad. Then I went around taking lots of photos inside my storage shed on the rental property; it's huge and full of tools and materials! So now those are documented, too. Thanks for helping me feel good about what I did! Forgot to mention all that when I recounted what I've done so far.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Monterey, CA · Member since 2014 · 193 posts · 117 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Stephen Haynes:

    No I don't have anyone in those areas but I know that Nationwide Carries a pretty good renters policy I was speaking with one of their agents a month ago about setting up renters policies for the properties I manage.

     Thank you, Stephen! I'll pass on the word about Nationwide to my tenants.

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Carol Venolia I don't have personal experience but for Cali this can be the double whammy when the el nino rain comes. All the vegetation is gone and now the mega mud slides follow like clock work. Maybe check drainage and run off issues. It has been so dry this past decade I think many forgot how bad mud slides can get. You might miss it up north but I would say anyone south of SF should get ready for some serious stuff about to happen. Good Luck!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Monterey, CA · Member since 2014 · 193 posts · 117 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Matt R.:

    @Carol Venolia I don't have personal experience but for Cali this can be the double whammy when the el nino rain comes. All the vegetation is gone and now the mega mud slides follow like clock work. Maybe check drainage and run off issues. It has been so dry this past decade I think many forgot how bad mud slides can get. You might miss it up north but I would say anyone south of SF should get ready for some serious stuff about to happen. Good Luck!

     Thank you, Matt! Fortunately, my properties are in fairly flat areas. But I should check any nearby drainage courses!

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Carol Venolia No doubt, it should be known if there were issues in the past. Most of those areas will start sand bagging in a couple weeks.  It's going to be no joke this season probably. We can get rain like Seattle and one debris plugged catch basin, even in the flats, will flood dozens of homes in a couple hours. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Monterey, CA · Member since 2014 · 193 posts · 117 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Matt R.:

    @Carol Venolia No doubt, it should be known if there were issues in the past. Most of those areas will start sand bagging in a couple weeks.  It's going to be no joke this season probably. We can get rain like Seattle and one debris plugged catch basin, even in the flats, will flood dozens of homes in a couple hours. 

     Good points! Thanks again, and best wishes!

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    On wild fires make sure you have large areas of clear space between between your house and the fire.  Keep your lawn or shrubs well watered,  Make sure all roads in and out of the property have clear areas.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Monterey, CA · Member since 2014 · 193 posts · 117 votes
    11y

    Thank you, @Jerry W.!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Carol Venolia  our rental properties are the least of our problems .

    the lake co fire is devastating, over 700 homes burned to the ground one person died

    And folks have lost their pets, horses are running around not knowing where to go and to horse owners this is like losing children.

    My brother lives in the affected area he is also a heavy equipment operator on Sat he got called to the butte fire  he has worked virtually non stop on fires this summer. Probably out there trying to save your rental !!

    shortly there after the Valley fire ( lake county erupted 2 miles north of his small acreage. His wife had to evac with the cloths on her back and the small animals they had to let there horses run free.. and they have been camping in Kelseyville not know yet if their home is destroyed and where their horses are.. this type of disaster far transcends the worries of absentee landlords and their properties which are probably all insured and if they are not then the landlord is an idiot... plus you have loss of rent in most..

    We cannot down play what's happening in N. CA is a mitigated disaster of biblical proportions and we need to show the proper respect to those that live there and have been wiped out.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Monterey, CA · Member since 2014 · 193 posts · 117 votes
    11y

    @Jay Hinrichs, I hope I didn't sound uncaring about the horrifying events going on around us. I have many friends and neighbors who are directly affected by the Butte and Valley fires; I have offered housing and other assistance. My heart goes out to your brother, and my gratitude for his firefighting work is deep.

    My concern was that I do the best I can to help my tenants, who are traumatized by the Butte fire themselves. This is a new situation for me, and I've been seeking input that will allow me to respond appropriately.

    Blessings and best wishes to you and yours.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.