North/South Carolina rental unit income tax implications.

North/South Carolina rental unit income tax implications.

Flipper · Matthews, NC · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 0 votes

Hi folks,

I was looking at a condo in South Carolina tonight with my realtor when she told me that it probably wasn`t worth my while financially to buy a S.C. property to rent out while I live in N.C. because the tax I would have to pay would be very high.

Does anyone have experience of this?

Thanks,

Al.

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Rock Hill, SC · Member since 2011 · 40 posts · 6 votes
11y

She might referencing that in South Carolina, if the residence isn't your primary residence, you're property tax assessment rate will be 6% instead of 4%. 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Rock Hill, SC · Member since 2011 · 40 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    She might referencing that in South Carolina, if the residence isn't your primary residence, you're property tax assessment rate will be 6% instead of 4%. 

  • CPA · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Al Brennan from a federal/state taxation standpoint, this is hardly an issue. States will grant credits on income taxed in different states, so if your SC rental income ends up being taxed, NC will grant you a credit in the amount of the SC tax in order to avoid double taxation. 

  • Flipper · Matthews, NC · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Thanks Mike,

    That sounds perfectly acceptable to me, I'll have to delve a bit deeper to make sure there are no hidden tax penalties,  but a 6% opposed to 4% is ok to me. 

  • Investor · Simpsonville, SC · Member since 2015 · 132 posts · 54 votes
    11y

    I live in the Upstate and have started investing out of state because of the property taxes. For example I was looking at renting out my primary residence. If I did my taxes would have jumped from around $1,200 to somewhere around $2,500-$2,800. With the rate that property values are (at least in my area), you need to purchase properties at a significant discount. In many areas you can't even find a rent ratio of 1% buying a rent ready unit.

  • Flipper · Matthews, NC · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Actually, the more I do my figures the less attractive it looks :(

  • Investor · Waxhaw, NC · Member since 2014 · 28 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    I live very close to the state line and would love to invest in SC but for the reason stated above I will not. 

    It's too bad because it could be a great market. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.