Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Seth M.
  • Investor
  • TN
Votes |
Taking tenant to court - chances of success

Seth M.
  • Investor
  • TN
Posted

In November of 2014 we had the wife of a husband-wife tenant pair inform our property manager she would be moving out. She included a letter signed by her husband stating he assumed all liability for the property. The following month rent never came. When the property manager followed up with the husband he said he had moved out and wouldn't be paying rent anymore (5 months left on lease @1250/month).

Our property manager filed an eviction notice with the court, gave the tenants required time to collect belonging before taking the unit back. 

We were left with over $15k worth of damage and unpaid rent before the unit could be rented again. I compiled all paperwork in the case and hired a property lawyer to take the case to court and receive a judgement against the tenants. Because the tenant is active duty military it is a lengthy process leading up to the court date due to VA law requiring ample notification time through a Guardian Ad Litum.

The court date is set for July 13. If the tenant shows up a trial date is set. If he doesn't the judgment is in my favor on that date.

I'm concerned after I receive the judgment for the damages I still won't receive the money this has cost me, not to mention the addition of the legal fees. Although the judgement will be against both the husband and wife they are now separated with the husband paying child support (x2) and the wife a full time student. 

Has anyone been in a similar situation with a favorable result? Any advice? 

Loading replies...