How to deal with rental repairs - quotes, etc.

How to deal with rental repairs - quotes, etc.

Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 73 posts · 49 votes

AC unit on one of my out-of-state properties went down.  How do you deal with getting multiple quotes from vendors?  Do you ask your tenants what times they are around and then have a few vendors come by and give you a quote?  I haven't built my network of trusted AC companies yet that I can trust won't rip me off.

Same applies for any 'major' repair like replacing a water heater, etc.

0Reply
37 views

Most Popular Reply

Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
11y

Fo the AC, I would just call around and get quotes.  That is something they can usually bid without having to see the old one, and they won't need interior access from the tenants.

Check out review sites like yelp, home advisor, angie's list, if you don't have a local network or PM.

Moving forward for repairs, I would get a handyman service.  They can usually handle most things for you.  You may pay more for their after hours rate to accommodate your tenants work schedule, but it will still be cheaper than a PM.  

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Sounds like you are self managing from a distance - I respect you for that. You are bolder than I. If I am wrong, have your PM handle the scheduling of visits.

    Otherwise I think you are on the right track with having your tenants handle letting people in. That protects you from liability because the tenants will always be there when the contractor is in. The contractors can email or call you with their prices and you can take it from there.

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11y

    Fo the AC, I would just call around and get quotes.  That is something they can usually bid without having to see the old one, and they won't need interior access from the tenants.

    Check out review sites like yelp, home advisor, angie's list, if you don't have a local network or PM.

    Moving forward for repairs, I would get a handyman service.  They can usually handle most things for you.  You may pay more for their after hours rate to accommodate your tenants work schedule, but it will still be cheaper than a PM.  

  • Investor · Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2015 · 423 posts · 114 votes
    11y
    Send few guys, text tenants what time they will come or give guys tenants'so phone if tenant agrees. Receive few opinions as problem may be from $50 repair all way to whole system replacement (around $3500) or with furnace $5000. First thing - ask to make an AC service and change filter and check freon :))) sometimes just washing outside AC bloch will help :))) usually it us cheap solution :))) do not get scared
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 646 posts · 392 votes
    11y

    Hi @Petra M.

    There are multiple ways you can do this. Here are a few ways:

    1. HVAC - If you are replacing an HVAC and know the size of the HVAC then you can call the companies and ask the cost to install a new HVAC based on size and labor. Most companies will tell you the cost to install on the phone. Similarly there are standard costs to install a water heater for example 400-600 for the heater 200-300 for labor. Paint is $1/sqft inside outside $1.25-$1.50..again all depends on the local market the type of material etc. 

    2. HVAC- Troubleshooting - Most companies will charge a truck-roll fees i.e. $75 just to come out and tell you what's wrong (i.e. Diagnose the issue) with your HVAC. So it's better to network with fellow investors in the area and ask around who they use for their HVAC issues..don't go for the cheapest find someone who is reliable and gets the job done right the first time. Hopefully, you will find someone reliable by asking around on BP. There are lot of members from LA and can certainly provide you with some references

    3. To get a ball park estimate you can use Homewyse estimate http://www.homewyse.com/ so you know what the price ranges

    4. HD have something called redbeacon where you can get contractor bids after you describe the issue. You can check their ratings etc.

    5. Invest in a small lockbox $30-$40 from HD or your hardware store and if vacant unit put it on the apartment/house door and provide the code to the individual companies going out to give you a quote that way you don't have to be there everyday. Also coordinate times with your tenant and have the companies go out and give you an estimate. 

    Good Luck! 

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Brie Schmidt:

    Fo the AC, I would just call around and get quotes.  That is something they can usually bid without having to see the old one, and they won't need interior access from the tenants.

     not really since she has no idea what's wrong with the unit. it can be the blower, the fan, the capacitor, a leak in the condenser or a line set leak.

    what i'd do is get a very expensive/reputable company to give me a detail quote of what's wrong. even if you have to pay them for the visit, it would be worth it.

    THEN, i'd start calling around having that information in hand and not bothering the tenants by having 15 AC guys going there. that makes you look cheap in tenants' eyes.

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Petra M.:

    AC unit on one of my out-of-state properties went down.  How do you deal with getting multiple quotes from vendors?  Do you ask your tenants what times they are around and then have a few vendors come by and give you a quote?  I haven't built my network of trusted AC companies yet that I can trust won't rip me off.

    Same applies for any 'major' repair like replacing a water heater, etc.

     Use a handyman service, have materials delivered at the door or have a reimbursement system, all items with receipt gets reimbursed. I serve an on-call handyman service for caltrans and another for a school district, I have a "per hour w/tools + gas" contract with them, I am a contractor myself so I get them cheap but I could give them a volume of jobs. I know what I need to pay, when to pay it, and how many hours a job would take. I would not advise paying the same, there is a big risk that you will get a crappy one (i have a really rigorous screening method), but my pay range is $15-25/hr (for clients plus 35% = 8% employer share taxes, 15% work comp, 12% overhead & profit). The rule of thumb is, if they don't get much job from you, you won't get prioritized, they charge more per hour; if you give them enough job so they won't spend time looking for jobs, chances are they won't have gaps on their weekly needs and accept a low paying job.

  • Investor · Century, FL · Member since 2015 · 950 posts · 603 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Petra M.:

    AC unit on one of my out-of-state properties went down.  How do you deal with getting multiple quotes from vendors?  Do you ask your tenants what times they are around and then have a few vendors come by and give you a quote?  I haven't built my network of trusted AC companies yet that I can trust won't rip me off.

    Same applies for any 'major' repair like replacing a water heater, etc.

     You build a relationship with one particular company, and you phone them when you have a problem. Pick one, send them out to fix it and if you faint when you get the bill, use someone else next time.

    But, you will spend more time messing around getting times when the tenant is in, when the ac man can turn up, multiple times, than simply sending in one ac company and get it fixed.

    I wouldn't get quotes unless it's to change out an entire system. You are just wasting your time.

    About two years ago we changed ac companies because they were cheaper. We could not get them to liaise with the tenants at all. They simply would not do it, and the only way they would was if I was there. We Changed back to our old company, they may charge a tiny amount more, but they will talk to our tenants and arrange times that is good for everyone. This is worth $20 or $50 for whatever we pay extra. And it's certainly pays off on my time when I'm called off site to sit at a tenants house because no one can be bothered to coordinate times properly. (And I do not let repair people into houses where someone isn't present as a rule).

    Same with appliance repair man, most appliances can be repaired fairly cheaply. Find one you like and who will liaise with tenants. (The only time a water heater needs replacing is when it's leaking or some old gas water heater where parts are unavailable.)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.