Looking for Investor-Friendly Insurance Broker in Tennessee

Looking for Investor-Friendly Insurance Broker in Tennessee

Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 389 posts · 250 votes

I currently live in Georgia, I am buying a fixer-upper in rural Middle Tennessee and need to shop for insurance coverage.  Because of the current nature of the house (needs to have water diverted from crawlspace, old roof, no HVAC), I'm having a bit of trouble finding a good insurance policy from the standard insurers around town.  Though I plan to rent it for a while to cover expenses, it's not an investment "deal" by any means -- it's a shack with a million-dollar view, for my "retirement" home.

The question is -- can anyone recommend an insurance broker with experience in policies for fixer-uppers that aren't going to be flipped?  The roof will be replaced within 6 months or less, the water issues are going to be attacked the day after closing, etc.  I'm guessing that Chattanooga or Nashville may have bigger, investor-experienced brokers with a range of policies that might fit my needs for this property better.  

Or, in your experience, am I stuck with having to cover it "as is" and then re-shop the policy after repairs?

0Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Dick RosenPro Member
Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 451 votes
11y

NREIG or Affinity Group national coverage for investment real estate. You can Google it or hook up with @Tim Norris on BP

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 84 posts · 60 votes
    11y

    Call Brian Bousselot with ABC Insurance Group.. I know he does some rehabs/ flips himself and should be able to help guide you with what you need.

    He's also always been incredibly straight forward with me, and explaining what I need and why, and not padding the policy with extra junk that just drives up cost.

    615-646-2117

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 84 posts · 60 votes
    11y

    @Anna Watkins

     See above

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 389 posts · 250 votes
    11y

    @Chris Harkins -- Thanks for the recommendation.  Is this agency near Memphis (the house is between Nashville & Chattanooga)?  I don't know how insurance works except within states -- but I bet I'll find out when I call.

  • Dick RosenPro Member
    Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 451 votes
    11y

    NREIG or Affinity Group national coverage for investment real estate. You can Google it or hook up with @Tim Norris on BP

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 84 posts · 60 votes
    11y

    @Anna Watkins, He's in Nashville. I dealt with him for several years before I moved to Memphis.

  • Real Estate Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2008 · 98 posts · 13 votes
    11y

    @Anna Watkins, if it's primarily the property and not the existing dwelling that has value to you, consider getting insurance that covers you for liability without worrying to much about covering the dwelling. Unless you're financing the property, there's no reason you need to worry too much about casualties to the dwelling.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.