Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Danny Di
  • Toronto, ON
Votes |
Finding Tenants - Canada

Danny Di
  • Toronto, ON
Posted

Hey all,

Just wondering what sites and sources you use to find tenants. I'm currently using kijiji. I heard about viewit, but read bad reviews. I may have it listed on MLS...will lose a full months rent to commissions, which I would like to avoid.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Joe Schwartzbauer
  • Investor
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied

Does Craigslist work in Canada? That is one of the best tenant resources! 

User Stats

Votes
Gary McGowan
  • Investor
  • Stouffville, Ontario
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Stouffville, Ontario
Replied

Craigslist is a bad resource up here in Canada. Kijiji being one of the best ones. 

You could always hire a PM to find a tenant although it usually costs the same as a realtor. 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Danny Di
  • Toronto, ON
Votes |
  • Toronto, ON
Replied

I can try Craigslist but kijiji is hotter down there in Toronto.  I just posted it on CL anyway.

Gary, how can I find a good PM specialized in the Mimico area? Do you happen to know anyone?

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Stephen E.
  • St Thomas, Ontario
Votes |
  • St Thomas, Ontario
Replied

Kijiji is the way I find all my tenants. I find it is cost effective to be a 'top ad' although as they take more and more of the advertising market they keep putting the price up. Relatively recently top ad was about $32 per week. Now it is $40.

User Stats

Votes
Chad U.
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied

Back when I rented in the GTA, putting up a yard sign and running a small ad in the local community newspaper was still effective, not as many leads as Kijiji, but did get the occasional tenant from those means. The more advertising through different means the better. 

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Veres
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Toronto, ON
Votes |
  • Toronto, ON
Replied

I've heard of people being fairly successful on Facebook (if you're like me you shudder with disdain at that word, but sometimes a necessary evil) as it seems to be one of those "hey I know someone who is looking for something like this" type of situations and they may refer them to your ad.  Probably more effective if your property is located in your local social network.

User Stats

Votes
Danny Di
  • Toronto, ON
Votes |
  • Toronto, ON
Replied

Still no bites.

I've tried craigslist, kijiji (paid for top ad).  I built a website with full blown pics and been doing FB Marketing for a week, nothing.  I had just two inquiries....one showing.  The one showing "too small".  The second was was supposed to show today but I just got the text message of the year "Hi, I'm cancelling the appointment today.  My kichen is on fire.  I will reschedule.  Thank you".  Not too sure about rescheduling that one, I have a pretty nice kitchen LOL.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Burr
Pro Member
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Greer, SC
Replied

I'm not familiar with your market in Canada and how competitive it is to find tenants.  However, in my market I haven't paid for advertisement in years.  I find that a a few signs up and ads on the internet and the property is immediately gone.  I have been using postlets.com for a few year and love it....and it's free!

User Stats

Votes
Gary McGowan
  • Investor
  • Stouffville, Ontario
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Stouffville, Ontario
Replied

Hey Danny, Send me the link, I will take a look at it. 

I'm in the GTA, Perhaps I can offer some ideas. 

User Stats

Votes
Danny Di
  • Toronto, ON
Votes |
  • Toronto, ON
Replied

Thanks Gary, coming your way!

User Stats

Votes
Roy N.
Pro Member
  • Fredericton, New Brunswick
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Fredericton, New Brunswick
ModeratorReplied

Danny:

If you are getting no bites ... not even viewings, its something in your ad (presentation, pictures, etc) or your asking rent is out of line with the amenities and location {your not in Jane & Finch are you ;-)}

If you are getting viewings, but no applications, it is most likely price, but could be something quirky about the place.

Gary should help you tune things up pretty quickly.

User Stats

Votes
Danny Di
  • Toronto, ON
Votes |
  • Toronto, ON
Replied

No, not Jane and Finch lol.  It's a really nice area, central and close to everything (The Queensway and Royal York).  Price point is quite good, thre are a couple units maybe 100-150 per mth cheaper but the units are not as attractive, bad views, exposure, no incentives, etc.

I spent $50 for a week - top ad on Kijiji - 341 Hits - 1 Inquiries - 1 Viewing

I spent about $35 on Facebook Ads - 136 clicks to my website - No inquiries

I'm not a pro with the fb advertising, it's hard to target "renters in Toronto'.  Anyone have any tips on how to target the right audience?

Gary advised that the ad, pictures, website is on par :) Just no luck!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Lorini
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
  • Irvine, CA
Replied

I've never paid to advertise.

I consistently use Kijiji and its very effective in Hamilton, ON,

I've also had good success with lawn and window signs.

Keep it up...sometimes you need to be patient.

Oh and I feel for you regarding cancellation/no-shows...Ive driven an 1.5hrs through traffic to show a place and the people didn't show....man can be frustrating....but once you have some solid tenants in place, more than makes up for it!