Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Shari Gibson
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Burleson, TX
Votes |
Tenant Peeing in the P-Trap

Shari Gibson
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Burleson, TX
Posted Nov 19 2014, 08:07

Okay team, I landlord from afar (I'm in TX and property is in MN). I received a call from my tenant that there was a "strong sewer smell" coming from the upstairs shower drain. I had a plumber go investigate it. He charged me $170 for a  2 hour visit and here are the notes from the invoice...

"------- Plumbing investigated a sewer gas smell in the upstairs bathroom.

We didn't find any smell in the attic or when we removed the trim from

the shower. The sewer smell is very strong in the shower area which may

indicate that someone has used the shower as a rest room."

The smell still exists, I'm out $170, and I'm not sure how to approach the topic with the tenant.

Any thoughts on how best to proceed? Should I do a pass-through on the charge? Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

User Stats

Votes
Raj Gandhi
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied Nov 19 2014, 08:14

My leases say tenants are responsible for the first $50 of any service call.  Without anything in your lease for guidance, the bill is a toss-up and depends on the relationship you have or want to have with your tenants.  I'd probably pay it.

I'd have a conversation with the tenant reading the notes from the plumber.  Don't make value judgements but try to understand the information together to ensure the problem doesn't come back.

User Stats

Votes
Shari Gibson
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Burleson, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Burleson, TX
Replied Nov 19 2014, 08:24

Raj, thanks for the tip. I love the part about baking in the "$50 clause" into the lease. Something I will have to keep in mind for next time. I also appreciate the advice on approaching the topic with judgment reserved. Thanks!!!

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.
Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Nov 19 2014, 08:26

Hire a real plumber to deal with your problem. Sounds like the last jackass took a guess just like youre still doing. Step 1. Find the problem. Step 2. Address the problem.......once you get past step 2, step 3 will be assigning blame.

I would guess someone took a dump that is stuck on something caught in the drain.

User Stats

Votes
Jassem A.
  • Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Replied Nov 19 2014, 08:49

Your vent pipe might be clogged.  Try snaking the vent pipe and pouring hot water down it or sticking a garden hose in it.

User Stats

Votes
Michael J.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
  • Louisville, KY
Replied Nov 19 2014, 09:23

I can't imagine that peeing I'm the shower while taking a shower would cause that. Just my opinion but it doesn't sound like the plumber did a very good job.

The only way peeing in a drain could be a problem is if it was done without running water. If that's the case then the tenant is stupid and should pay the bill.

My lease states tenant is responsible for 100% of any issue or damage they cause.

User Stats

Votes
Hawley G.
  • Saint Petersburg, FL
Votes |
  • Saint Petersburg, FL
Replied Nov 19 2014, 09:29

User Stats

Votes
Marcia Maynard
  • Investor
  • Vancouver, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Vancouver, WA
Replied Nov 19 2014, 09:29

Pour some baking soda over the drain and chase it down with white vinegar. That will help clean the drain and freshen up the place. Do this on a monthly basis.  I can't imagine the problem persisting even if someone peed or pooped in the shower, unless something stuck in the drain line. I would question the skill of the plumber before passing blame on the tenant. But do talk to the tenant about the plumber's report to see if the tenant can shed some light on the matter and help you determine the root cause.

When I was a child, my friends and I made a little "play house" area in the attic and equipped it with a rug, chairs, and other household items. We used a bucket in a large crate as our bathroom. We pooped and peed in the bucket and left it there as we were naturally drawn to play outside when the weather got warmer. Imagine my poor father's surprise while working in his workshop in the room below as the temperatures outside rose into the 90s and our "toilet" baked in the heat. I sure heard about it, learned a lesson, and that was the end of our attic play house! One never knows!

User Stats

Votes
Hawley G.
  • Saint Petersburg, FL
Votes |
  • Saint Petersburg, FL
Replied Nov 19 2014, 09:32

Found another one but it had profanity.  It read:

There are two types of people in the world.  Those that pee in the shower and those that **** lie about it.

User Stats

Votes
Shari Gibson
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Burleson, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Burleson, TX
Replied Nov 19 2014, 09:42

Excellent comments on here! Even a few laughs. Thanks everyone!!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Herr
  • Peoria, IL
Votes |
  • Peoria, IL
Replied Nov 21 2014, 20:45

I call shenanigans. There's no way a plumber could determine that someone is peeing while taking a shower by smell. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Weaner
  • Yardley, PA
Votes |
  • Yardley, PA
Replied Nov 21 2014, 20:58

It's all pipes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOlGMPE68Bo

Account Closed
  • Kalamazoo, MI
Votes |
  • Kalamazoo, MI
Replied Nov 21 2014, 21:07

I'm confused here.  Even if someone were to pee into a trap, you should not smell it with proper plumbing.  The water should be water tight, the p trap stops the odor of sewer gasses, and it all goes down the drain to the same place.  As someone who has done some DiY plumbing, I'm not following the explanation of your plumber.  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Hawley G.
  • Saint Petersburg, FL
Votes |
  • Saint Petersburg, FL
Replied Nov 21 2014, 21:22

I bet the tenant is married and just figured it was earlier than lifting the toilet seat.  :-)

User Stats

Votes
Joel Owens
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
ModeratorReplied Nov 21 2014, 22:09

Sounds like possibly some good old junk build up in the shower drain pipe. Soap scum, hair, etc. builds up. The plumber should have fished out the clog. First they should see if the pipe is draining slow or not.

The plumber doesn't sound like they know anything. What did this plumber actually do for 170?? Not much!