I have a property in Ocala, Florida with well water. Testing revealed 21 grains per gallon of hardness. I've received quotes for professionally installed water softeners around $3,000. I'm wondering if a more budget-friendly option, like the RHEEM water softener (42,000 Grain Preferred Plus Water Softener for Hard Water and Iron Reduction) available at Home Depot for around $500, would be sufficient.
Has anyone had experience with similar DIY water softeners? Any insights or advice you can share would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
1y
No experience with these, but I'd try the HD version and have my handyman install it. You could always get the extended warranty and still save money over the 3k model.
I replaced my old water softener with an AQUASURE from Home Depot, and it works just as well as the one I had before (which came with the house). Replacement is pretty straightforward; if you're handy, it's definitely an easy DIY project. I'd say go with the budget option.
Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
1y
The $500 plus install is probably fine, the $3,000 one is probably stupid. I went low end of middle. Something like $1,200 for the local “fancy upgrade”. If you have an RC Wiley or similar mid/high end furniture/appliance/home furnishings/flooring shop. They should have what you’re looking for.
Is your concern reliability or effectiveness? I assume the effectiveness is written on each one and I also assume they must perform that well or face class action lawsuits. If it’s longevity I got he 5 year extension for 10% of price many places offer. So for $120 I went from 2 years to 7. Realisticly. The cheap one will probably last 6-12 years. The expensive one MAYBE 7-12, 14 if you take extra good care of of it.
Ps. For those that have 5+ year old water softeners. When I tried to have my malfunctioning one fixed. The first thing the technician did was take a toilet tank cover off and run his hand across the bottom. He came up with a handful of beads and said Don’t bother your medium tank has failed. The beads only show up there because there’s no faucet filter to catch them before you can see them.
I have a property in Ocala, Florida with well water. Testing revealed 21 grains per gallon of hardness. I've received quotes for professionally installed water softeners around $3,000. I'm wondering if a more budget-friendly option, like the RHEEM water softener (42,000 Grain Preferred Plus Water Softener for Hard Water and Iron Reduction) available at Home Depot for around $500, would be sufficient.
Has anyone had experience with similar DIY water softeners? Any insights or advice you can share would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
You can go with a budget friendly option at HD or Lowes, there's nothing wrong with those options for a rental water heater. For install, unless you're familiar with plumbing, I'd have someone install it for you for the first time. The learning curve for plumbing is a nightmare, you'll spend a lot of trips to the store and get frustrated starting over constantly.
Do yourself a solid, sit right next to them and learn how to do it. That way next time you can do it yourself properly. There's nothing wrong with paying for someone to do their job but take the opportunity to learn from them. 9/10 times they don't mind teaching you.
As far as price, $3,000 is about what I'd charge in NY. Seeing how you're in Florida, it's the same price I'd charge down there.