Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sweta Jain
Votes |
Is business bank account needed for rental income

Sweta Jain
Posted Aug 8 2024, 14:38

Hi, I am starting to self manage my rental property and have below Qs. Please help?

1. I understand its good idea to have a separate bank acc for rental income. Can it be a personal acc? I called WF and they said for business account I need a registered business like LLC etc which I do not have.

2. We will add a addendum to the lease to remove my rental property manager and add owner. Is there any other thing i need to do?

3. Do people just wait for tenants to give them checks/transfer rent or do we need to send a invoice every month to tenant for rent payment?

4. Should I use some SW for all this accounting? Please recommend a free one, as I have only one rental property so not sure i need too many features.

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Tucker
Lender
  • Lender
  • Savoy, TX
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Savoy, TX
Replied Aug 8 2024, 17:31

Hello, You should really talk to an accountant about how to set it up for your best practices, that said we ran into an issue this week when we were working on an SBA loan for a client, and because he owns all his properties in his personal name, we couldn't use his rental income to get the SBA loan. I would recommend setting up an LLC, and putting your investment properties inside your LLC.

1. I understand its good idea to have a separate bank acc for rental income. Can it be a personal acc? I called WF and they said for business account I need a registered business like LLC etc which I do not have.

I would go a step further and set up 1 Bank account for each property, this way at the end of the year you can go through each properties bank accounts to see what the income and expenses were.  try not to purchase items on credit cards for multiple properties, at 1x, make 2 receipts, and write a reimbursement check from the property account.

2. We will add a addendum to the lease to remove my rental property manager and add owner. Is there any other thing i need to do?

You are the owner, The tenant just needs to know where to send the money each month, and who to make the check out to.

3. Do people just wait for tenants to give them checks/transfer rent or do we need to send a invoice every month to tenant for rent payment?

For rent collection, sending an invoice on the 20th greatly helps with getting paid on the 1st.  There is rental software out there that can automate this for your, you can also set up auto emails to go out to your tenants.

4. Should I use some SW for all this accounting? Please recommend a free one, as I have only one rental property so not sure i need too many features.

I would just set up 1 dedicated bank account for your rental property, you are going to have very few transactions.

Thanks,

Dustin

User Stats

Votes
Bill Hampton
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#2 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Tax Strategist, Financial Planner and Real Estate Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#2 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Tax Strategist, Financial Planner and Real Estate Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Aug 8 2024, 22:08
Quote from @Sweta Jain:

Hi, I am starting to self manage my rental property and have below Qs. Please help?

2. We will add a addendum to the lease to remove my rental property manager and add owner. Is there any other thing i need to do?

4. Should I use some SW for all this accounting? Please recommend a free one, as I have only one rental property so not sure i need too many features.

Thanks!

1. Yes, you should have an LLC business bank account. If you don't want an LLC business bank account, a personal bank account that is used solely for real estate is a second but less desirable option.

3. You should use software that automatically sends you rent payments. Zillow offers this as well as other companies. 

4. Stessa and Azibo offer free real estate accounting software. 

5. I also recommend hiring an accountant that specializes real estate taxation. 

Good luck.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Aug 9 2024, 05:29

I recommend two accounts: checking and savings. If you have an LLC, the accounts should be business accounts in the LLC's name. If you have more than one LLC, each LLC should have its own set of accounts.

Checking: Collect all income here, then use it to pay bills, pay the mortgage, or do maintenance. If you set aside funds for capex, taxes, insurance, or other expenses that don't occur monthly, transfer those funds to Savings each month and hold them there until it's time to spend them. You will receive the security deposit in Checking but then transfer it to Savings.

Savings: Hold the deposit here so it's separate from operating funds. You can also hold money for maintenance, capex, taxes, insurance, or other projected expenses. When a tenant moves out, transfer the deposit back to Checking so it's ready to apply towards expenses or refund the Tenant.

If you end up with excess funds in the Checking account, I recommend you transfer it to a third account designated explicitly for future investments. That ensures you don't spend it on other things and know exactly how much you have to spend on the next purchase. If mixed in with your deposits and reserve funds, you may accidentally spend money you shouldn't have.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bartomeo
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Aug 9 2024, 05:59

1. It is not necessary

2. Make sure that they are FULLY aware of how to pay and who/how to contact you.

3. The tenant does not need to be prompted to pay but we send them reminders

4. SW is not normally necessary when you only have a small amount of units

User Stats

Votes
Lynn McGeein
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Aug 9 2024, 06:37

@Sweta Jain we just keep it simple. I didn't like the expense involved when I researched cost of maintaining a business account to self manage 1 rental and found that the LLC route wasn't necessary if we maintained an umbrella policy, so I just keep track of rental income and expenses (not that hard) on the one I self manage and any extra expenses on the ones managed by property management to add to their annual summary for my accountant. I placed the security deposit in a separate savings account. Rents just go into our personal account, and I transfer monthly excess into another savings account to be used for maintenance, renovation, etc. No fees involved and bookkeeping isn't that difficult. If I self-managed them all, I'd probably do it differently.

User Stats

Votes
Sweta Jain
Votes |
Replied Aug 9 2024, 07:33

Thankyou all for great suggestions!

User Stats

Votes
Fulton Sanchez
  • Accountant
  • CPA Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • CPA Miami, FL
Replied Aug 9 2024, 09:04

Hi Sweta, having a business bank account for rental income is a good choice and choosing a software to order the accounting. 
You've come to the right place, there are over 20 enlisted CPAs here in Biggerpockets working with real estate investors across different states. Feel free to reach out to one and set up a consultation call.

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Aug 10 2024, 20:22

@Sweta Jain There’s a difference of opinions about the checking accounts depending on who you talk to.

Some investors say individual accounts for each property and some say one checking and one savings and lump all your properties together.

Personally I have individual accounts (they are personal) for each property. I feel this makes it much simpler to see my income and expenses at all times.

My new bookkeeper thought this was a little weird at first but quickly came to see the benefits.

The only issue you may have is when filing your taxes some preparers charge based on the number of inputs you have such as W2s, 1099s, and P&Ls. When my accountant was with H&R Block they functioned this way and even though he could prepare my return in about 1.25 hours it would cost me $1800 because of the number of inputs I had specifically from my 7 properties.