Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Emory Clayton
Pro Member
Votes |
To keep or not to keep, that is the question | Whole house fan

Emory Clayton
Pro Member
Posted

I have a property which has a whole house fan. Its been great while working in the house with the rehab, however I am concerned with a Tennant taking advantage of this: smoking inside, not opening the windows while running it causing a backdraft from other appliances like the water heater which would cause it not able to vent to the outside properly, and I'm sure there are others. 
Was curious as to what other have done with properties that have whole house fans. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied

@Emory Clayton

I've shown my tenants how to use it (if necessary) and let them enjoy it.  I have mine on right now.  So great for cool nights.  Anyway, I've had no problems with it over the past 12 years or so.  Good luck and best wishes.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @Emory Clayton:

It's not rocket science. You can easily train your tenant to use it properly and then let them go.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Emory Clayton
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

It's not rocket science. You can easily train your tenant to use it properly and then let them go.

People sign leases stating that they agree to no pet policies all the time, yet, they still bring them in. Come on man...its not rocket science that a Tennent could use it to smoke in the house, even though I have a no smoking policy. 

User Stats

Votes
Emory Clayton
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied
Quote from @Chris John:

@Emory Clayton

I've shown my tenants how to use it (if necessary) and let them enjoy it.  I have mine on right now.  So great for cool nights.  Anyway, I've had no problems with it over the past 12 years or so.  Good luck and best wishes.

Chris thanks for that feedback. About how many tenants have you had in that house over that 12 year period? 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied
People sign leases stating that they agree to no pet policies all the time, yet, they still bring them in. Come on man...its not rocket science that a Tennent could use it to smoke in the house, even though I have a no smoking policy. 
Yes, the could use the fan for nefarious purposes. They could also use the bathtub to dissolve the body of their grandmother while they continue cashing her social security checks. That doesn't mean you get rid of the bathtub.
  • Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied

@Emory Clayton

We're on our 2nd set of tenants.  It's my former owner occ.  Great house in a great neighborhood, so as long as the tenants keep it up, we're friendly with the rates.  I'm more worried about keeping my former neighbors happy than I am about getting an extra $100-200/mo.