To keep or not to keep, that is the question | Whole house fan

To keep or not to keep, that is the question | Whole house fan

Emory ClaytonPro Member
Member since 2019 · 66 posts · 25 votes

I have a property which has a whole house fan. Its been great while working in the house with the rehab, however I am concerned with a Tennant taking advantage of this: smoking inside, not opening the windows while running it causing a backdraft from other appliances like the water heater which would cause it not able to vent to the outside properly, and I'm sure there are others. 
Was curious as to what other have done with properties that have whole house fans. 

0Reply
131 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2020 · 671 posts · 937 votes
2y

@Emory Clayton

I've shown my tenants how to use it (if necessary) and let them enjoy it.  I have mine on right now.  So great for cool nights.  Anyway, I've had no problems with it over the past 12 years or so.  Good luck and best wishes.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 671 posts · 937 votes
    2y

    @Emory Clayton

    I've shown my tenants how to use it (if necessary) and let them enjoy it.  I have mine on right now.  So great for cool nights.  Anyway, I've had no problems with it over the past 12 years or so.  Good luck and best wishes.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Emory Clayton:

    It's not rocket science. You can easily train your tenant to use it properly and then let them go.


    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Emory ClaytonPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2019 · 66 posts · 25 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Emory Clayton:

    It's not rocket science. You can easily train your tenant to use it properly and then let them go.



    People sign leases stating that they agree to no pet policies all the time, yet, they still bring them in. Come on man...its not rocket science that a Tennent could use it to smoke in the house, even though I have a no smoking policy. 

  • Emory ClaytonPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2019 · 66 posts · 25 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Chris John:

    @Emory Clayton

    I've shown my tenants how to use it (if necessary) and let them enjoy it.  I have mine on right now.  So great for cool nights.  Anyway, I've had no problems with it over the past 12 years or so.  Good luck and best wishes.


     Chris thanks for that feedback. About how many tenants have you had in that house over that 12 year period? 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Emory Clayton:
    Yes, the could use the fan for nefarious purposes. They could also use the bathtub to dissolve the body of their grandmother while they continue cashing her social security checks. That doesn't mean you get rid of the bathtub.
    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2020 · 671 posts · 937 votes
    2y

    @Emory Clayton

    We're on our 2nd set of tenants.  It's my former owner occ.  Great house in a great neighborhood, so as long as the tenants keep it up, we're friendly with the rates.  I'm more worried about keeping my former neighbors happy than I am about getting an extra $100-200/mo.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.