Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Tim Callahan
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Dayton, ME
Votes |
Help me prepare for a potential fight at the end of the lease

Tim Callahan
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Dayton, ME
Posted

We have informed a tenant in writing that their lease will not be renewed when it ends on 10/31/24.  We also plan on sending them a 60 day and a 30 day notice to remind them.  This tenant has been a problem, which is why we aren't renewing.  They pay rent, but there are lots of other problems.  We want to be prepared if they try to stay past the lease end date.  What else can we be doing now to prepare in case they try to stay put?  Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Freed
Agent
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Worcester, MA
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Worcester, MA
Replied

@Tim Callahan - I'd recommend hiring an experienced eviction attorney if you expect a fight and have them manage the process so no crucial steps are missed. In tenant friendly states like Maine and MA, a small error in the paperwork could result in the process starting all over again. Have an expert manage the process, pay a small premium, and ensure it does done as quickly and correctly as possible. 

Candor Realty Worcester Logo

User Stats

Votes
Joe S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Replied

^^^^^^^^^
this

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Tim Baldwin
Legal Services
  • Attorney
  • Pensacola, FL
Votes |
Legal Services
  • Attorney
  • Pensacola, FL
Replied

As @Andrew Freed said, you need a landlord attorney. If they don't vacate according to the lease term, eviction will need to be filed. I recommend that you hire an attorney for this and not do this by yourself. 

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied

What Andrew said. If they don't move out, start the eviction process.  

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @Tim Callahan:

1. Don't worry about things that haven't happened. It's one thing to be prepared, it's another to actually worry about it.

2. Study your eviction laws and be prepared to act immediately. If you're not comfortable with the process, spend some time finding a qualified attorney who can handle it for you.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Tim Callahan
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Dayton, ME
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Dayton, ME
Replied

Thank you guys.  I'm not at eviction stage yet, I have evicted tenants before.  I just want to be prepared for the worst and act immediately if anything happens.  Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Lynn McGeein
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied

For us, there was really no way to prepare other than making sure we were ready in case we needed to evict if they refused to leave, and then planning for but not hiring contractors until we were sure they actually left. It did lead to longer turnover time, but we wanted to renovate more than a standard turnover, anyway.  

User Stats

Votes
Melanie P.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied

If you're going to send later notices include a copy of the original notice and remind them of the notice posted and mailed on ___________ which advised their tenancy would terminate 10/31/2024. You don't want the tenant bringing in a "30 day notice" if your jurisdiction requires 90 days. 

As long as you're sure the tenant received the notice they do not need reminders. And they will probably leave. But the process will have some headaches. Please keep us updated.