Neighbor's Dog Reacting to Worn Fence

Neighbor's Dog Reacting to Worn Fence

Member since 2020 · 83 posts · 9 votes

Hi, I have a neighbor with a baby and his wife next door whom they have a big dog. The dog is sensitive to noise in my backyard near a worn fence where it separates the property line. The dog frequently reacts to any of my activity near the fence and barks and lunges at the fence where the lower horizontal rail has been bulging outward for a long time. Although the fence is old but it still stands, yet it's annoying to hear the dog barks and lunges at the fence. I'm concerned that the continuing lunging of the dog at the fence may collapse the already worn fence. If I want to warn my neighbor diplomatically about his dog's behaviors, how should I go about this? Thank you.

0Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Jacky Johnson:

...or make my neighbor pay for the fence, if their dog is the cause of the collapse of the fence

 LOL. It doesn't work that way. At best your neighbor would be liable for the value of an old dilapidated fence that was so bad a dog could knock it over. Basically near $0 value. 

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    Talk to them and let them know you are replacing a board on the fence where the dog often barks. Ask them if they can please keep the dog inside while you work on the fence as you are concerned about the dog.

  • Member since 2020 · 83 posts · 9 votes
    3y

    @Theresa Harris If I prefer not to replace the boards yet (because that the cost could be divided if I decided to replace the fence, or make my neighbor pay for the fence, if their dog is the cause of the collapse of the fence), but merely warns the neighbor not to have the dog bark and lunge at the fence, how should I approach them?

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    Ask them if they are willing to replace the boards where their dog has been going at the fence.  If the dog gets through and you know the fence is weak, I'd be more concerned about something happening to the tenant.  A few fence boards are cheap.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jacky Johnson:

    ...or make my neighbor pay for the fence, if their dog is the cause of the collapse of the fence

     LOL. It doesn't work that way. At best your neighbor would be liable for the value of an old dilapidated fence that was so bad a dog could knock it over. Basically near $0 value. 

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 184 posts · 182 votes
    3y

    Nicely explain the situation to your neighbor. 

    I would request several supervised meet and greet visits with your neighbor and the dog on their side of the fence, while you are on your side.  Then I would ask if I can give the dogs treats when I am out there. 

    If that still doesn’t work, at least you have put in the neighborly effort and can then escalate requests. 

  • Member since 2020 · 83 posts · 9 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Danny Polanski:

    Nicely explain the situation to your neighbor. 

    I would request several supervised meet and greet visits with your neighbor and the dog on their side of the fence, while you are on your side.  Then I would ask if I can give the dogs treats when I am out there. 

    If that still doesn’t work, at least you have put in the neighborly effort and can then escalate requests. 

    What is the reason for giving the dog treats when I am out there?


  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 184 posts · 182 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jacky Johnson:
    Quote from @Danny Polanski:

    Nicely explain the situation to your neighbor. 

    I would request several supervised meet and greet visits with your neighbor and the dog on their side of the fence, while you are on your side.  Then I would ask if I can give the dogs treats when I am out there. 

    If that still doesn’t work, at least you have put in the neighborly effort and can then escalate requests. 

    What is the reason for giving the dog treats when I am out there?


    Dogs, oftentimes, respond well to treats.

    The idea is to change the dog’s behavior from an aggressive stranger reaction to a known friend. And with good doggy manners, you provide the yummies.

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    Got to ask.

      Who are you?  What is your background?  

    I normally look back over peoples post to get a better approach to answering their questions.  But I can’t tell if you’re alone and need help, yanking people’s chains, or don’t know.  

    The answers to dog barking, leaves falling, parked cars, surveillance cameras, cutting down trees, paint spray on new car, paint peeling, loose boards in fence, dog barking, etc aren’t the answer.  

    What is your situation and I will try to come up with either help or a path for you.  

    On the fence issues.  
    1.    where is the surveyed property line?

    2.   Where is the fence relative to the property line?

    3.  How big is your yard?  Xx feet wide by xx feet deep?

    4.  No matter what happens next with the fence itself the dog is still going to bark at you.  You can plant a hedge or build a fence on your side.  

    5.  If you don’t want it to bark at you and you don’t want to talk with your neighbor do the following.
    a.   Buy a box of slim Jim’s

    b.  Put a lawn chair next to the fence you can sit in.  

    c.  Whenever you see the dog in the neighbors yard I want you to go sit in the chair.  


    d.  Wait till the dog quits barking

    e.  Say any word or noise several times.

    f.  Give them the treat. 

    g.  Go back inside your house

    h.  Do this for 4 days and the dog will either quit barking or worst case, bark louder since he has you trained.

    Haha. No. He will quit barking. Especially when you say the magic word or noise.  

    Your paint problems could just be old or moisture issues.  If moisture you need to put a sealer first.  Let it dry   Then paint.

    Car parked outside.  Two things. Two pounds of sugar down the gas tank at night.  Use a funnel.  Close the cap and lid.

    For a week keep putting adult dog kibble in the tail pipe.  Don’t stuff it in. Just put a handful each day.  Put some hazelnuts for variety.

    About 10 days later start the process everyone already told you.  

    Cars will never show up in your neighborhood again.  By now you’re probably asking me the question I asked you.   Who are you?

  • Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 281 posts · 133 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Henry Clark:

    Got to ask.

      Who are you?  What is your background?  

    I normally look back over peoples post to get a better approach to answering their questions.  But I can’t tell if you’re alone and need help, yanking people’s chains, or don’t know.  

    The answers to dog barking, leaves falling, parked cars, surveillance cameras, cutting down trees, paint spray on new car, paint peeling, loose boards in fence, dog barking, etc aren’t the answer.  

    What is your situation and I will try to come up with either help or a path for you.  

    On the fence issues.  
    1.    where is the surveyed property line?

    2.   Where is the fence relative to the property line?

    3.  How big is your yard?  Xx feet wide by xx feet deep?

    4.  No matter what happens next with the fence itself the dog is still going to bark at you.  You can plant a hedge or build a fence on your side.  

    5.  If you don’t want it to bark at you and you don’t want to talk with your neighbor do the following.
    a.   Buy a box of slim Jim’s

    b.  Put a lawn chair next to the fence you can sit in.  

    c.  Whenever you see the dog in the neighbors yard I want you to go sit in the chair.  


    d.  Wait till the dog quits barking

    e.  Say any word or noise several times.

    f.  Give them the treat. 

    g.  Go back inside your house

    h.  Do this for 4 days and the dog will either quit barking or worst case, bark louder since he has you trained.

    Haha. No. He will quit barking. Especially when you say the magic word or noise.  

    Your paint problems could just be old or moisture issues.  If moisture you need to put a sealer first.  Let it dry   Then paint.

    Car parked outside.  Two things. Two pounds of sugar down the gas tank at night.  Use a funnel.  Close the cap and lid.

    For a week keep putting adult dog kibble in the tail pipe.  Don’t stuff it in. Just put a handful each day.  Put some hazelnuts for variety.

    About 10 days later start the process everyone already told you.  

    Cars will never show up in your neighborhood again.  By now you’re probably asking me the question I asked you.   Who are you?

    @Henry Clark my new favorite response to a post!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.