Do you allow tenant to paint their rooms

Do you allow tenant to paint their rooms

Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes

A tenant applicant asked if she could repaint the rooms in the color of her choice.

She doesn't know the color of her choice yet.

How do you all handle that?

I don't know how handy she is. The current paint was done and I took trouble to move out stove, fridge...removed electrical cover plates, AC vent covers, to paint the back wall and around. I removed closet doors so I can paint the walls and gaps you couldn't otherwise reach.

I don't know is she's going to end up painting 90% and doing a lousy job of it and I end up having to reverse it.

and I don't know if she may paint them purple or dark brown.

Would you allow your tenant to repaint? Any advice?

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
12y

NO WAY.

You'll end up with neon, black, or tacky colored walls.

Paint will get on the crown molding and floors.

Then you're stuck repainting it for the next tenant.

If they paint it without approval, that's damage from security deposit.

I strictly forbid painting of walls, cabinets, ceilings, etc. several times in my lease.

They're not going to be nearly as careful as you are when they paint.

Now, if it's an old house that needs new paint anyway, I might let them choose the color and they pay a professional (that you choose) to repaint it a neutral color.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · NW Indiana · Member since 2012 · 833 posts · 197 votes
    12y

    I allowed my current tenant to do it, but it was only one wall and a neutral color. I kind of regret it. He is a trouble tenant. I haven't seen the place yet to see if he actually did paint it. And if you went through all that trouble I wouldn't allow it. Maybe later if you see they are good tenants and that is still a maybe. Or if you see they are long term to make them happy and feel more at home, but only after some time.

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2013 · 76 posts · 30 votes
    12y

    I rent out rooms in my house & my tenants can have their rooms painted if they want. The stipulations are that I have to approve the colors & a professional will be hired (I pick, they pay).

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    You've done what sounds like a very good job so I probably wouldn't agree to it. If you do you could hand her one of those neutral color pallets from the store and say these are the colors, nothing darker. When I have agreed it is because the room needed painting anyway either because a previous owner had a very dark color or we were showing something before we painted and they expressed a preference. I do advise when you let anyone paint be specific. If you don't want woodwork painted or you want the ceiling white you need to say so. (personal experience). Sometimes people say sure but you have to pay someone to paint it back when you leave.

  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    12y

    NO WAY.

    You'll end up with neon, black, or tacky colored walls.

    Paint will get on the crown molding and floors.

    Then you're stuck repainting it for the next tenant.

    If they paint it without approval, that's damage from security deposit.

    I strictly forbid painting of walls, cabinets, ceilings, etc. several times in my lease.

    They're not going to be nearly as careful as you are when they paint.

    Now, if it's an old house that needs new paint anyway, I might let them choose the color and they pay a professional (that you choose) to repaint it a neutral color.

  • Boston, MA · Member since 2013 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    My tenant didn't even ask me. She won $30k lottery so she repainted the rooms, added hardwood floor, and change laminate to granite in the kitchen. She also prepaid her rent for the whole year. Hard to complain!:(

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Yes I do , with Landlords approval on the color. The agreement that they will paint it back if the next tenant doesn't like it. Honestly I have only had one tenant request to paint out of 4.

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 409 posts · 105 votes
    12y

    No. Unless there is something exceptionally bad (bizarre color, multiple marks on wall) about an existing wall. Most tenants fail to properly tape or remove face plates and end up getting paint on moulding, cabinets, doors, ceilings, face plates.

  • Minooka, IL · Member since 2013 · 353 posts · 85 votes
    12y

    No I don't. People don't tape and they are messy and you have to repaint it anyway. I've said no to people thinking they would complain but I mostly get a "ok no problem we'll live here anyway" attitude.

  • Jean BolgerPro Member
    Aurora, CO · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I have agreed to this way too many times. Why am I such a sucker??

    Tenant: "I'm a great painter! and I'll paint it back however you want!"

    Never. Never. Never have they been even an adequate painter. A palsied monkey could paint better than they did. And you can't undo a bad paint job.

    Now, I will say, "If you want the wall painted, call this guy (a very good, very expensive professional painter). I will approve the color, he will do the painting, and you will pay the bill for paint and labor."

    no one has taken me up on it though

  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Jean Bolger:
    A palsied monkey could paint better than they did. And you can't undo a bad paint job.

    Bahaha. Sadly that's true, a palsied monkey really could paint better. :D

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.