Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Classifieds
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
George Duchatelier
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Votes |
How do i find a DSCR lender in OHIO

George Duchatelier
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Posted

My partners and I are interested in purchasing our 2nd rental property somewhere in OHIO. Due to the fact that i have 2 rental properties already in MY name, I know going the traditional route wont work. (I bought a duplex with my partners and a SFH with my wife) I found a post on IG where you can get a DSCR loan. I'm interested in finding a lender that I can contact to see about qualifying and possibly purchasing another rental property some time in 2023. Any information would be helpful and grateful. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied

Happy to connect you with mine 

User Stats

Votes
George Duchatelier
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Replied
Quote from @Eliott Elias:

Happy to connect you with mine 

That would be great! Thank you

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Poeppelmeier
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Maumee, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Maumee, OH
Replied

Talk to @Chris Wharton at First Ohio. He works with several clients of mine. If you're interested in the Toledo market, let's set up a time to talk. 

User Stats

Votes
George Duchatelier
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Replied
Quote from @Dave Poeppelmeier:

Talk to @Chris Wharton at First Ohio. He works with several clients of mine. If you're interested in the Toledo market, let's set up a time to talk. 

I believe I started following him. Thanks! I’m looking at Youngstown area

User Stats

Votes
Chris Wharton
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Columbus, Oh
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Columbus, Oh
Replied
Quote from @George Duchatelier:
Quote from @Dave Poeppelmeier:

I believe I started following him. Thanks! I’m looking at Youngstown area

User Stats

Votes
Chris Wharton
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Columbus, Oh
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Columbus, Oh
Replied

Let's connect. If you have two existing conventional loans it leads me to believe you could continue down that path. GSE max is 10 personally financed properties.

User Stats

Votes
George Duchatelier
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Replied
Quote from @Chris Wharton:

Let's connect. If you have two existing conventional loans it leads me to believe you could continue down that path. GSE max is 10 personally financed properties.

Correct I have 2 properties. I’m looking for a dscr. That’s the only way, besides a hard money loan to try and scale. The goal is 2 more properties. One with my LLC group and one with my wife and I

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon
Pro Member
#3 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied

My partners and I are interested in purchasing our 2nd rental property somewhere in OHIO. Due to the fact that i have 2 rental properties already in MY name, I know going the traditional route wont work. (I bought a duplex with my partners and a SFH with my wife) I found a post on IG where you can get a DSCR loan. I'm interested in finding a lender that I can contact to see about qualifying and possibly purchasing another rental property some time in 2023. Any information would be helpful and grateful. Thanks!

DSCR Loan seems like a good route for you! There is one small wrinkle in Ohio in that the loan amount needs to be at least around $100k for the DSCR lender to have a prepayment penalty which is key to getting lower rates on DSCR loans, so I would make sure its a property worth at least in the $150k+ range

• Robin Simon
  • [email protected]
  • User Stats

Votes
    George Duchatelier
    • New to Real Estate
    • Ohio
    Votes |
    • New to Real Estate
    • Ohio
    Replied
    Quote from @Robin Simon:

DSCR Loan seems like a good route for you! There is one small wrinkle in Ohio in that the loan amount needs to be at least around $100k for the DSCR lender to have a prepayment penalty which is key to getting lower rates on DSCR loans, so I would make sure its a property worth at least in the $150k+ range

I appreciate the info! The price range will definitely be higher than 100k or more because I want to be able to buy a triplex or quad if possible!

User Stats

Votes
    Michael Kinsella
    • Lender
    Votes |

@George Duchatelier Many HMLs have a rental or 'DSCR' product.

You can use BiggerPockets and follow: Network --> Hard Money Lenders --> Filter by state as a starting point.

It appears some of the posters above may have some good referrals as well.

I'm seeing rental product interest rates for SFRs in the 7's right now.

User Stats

Votes
    George Duchatelier
    • New to Real Estate
    • Ohio
    Votes |
    • New to Real Estate
    • Ohio
    Replied
    Quote from @Michael Kinsella:

@George Duchatelier Many HMLs have a rental or 'DSCR' product.

You can use BiggerPockets and follow: Network --> Hard Money Lenders --> Filter by state as a starting point.

It appears some of the posters above may have some good referrals as well.

I'm seeing rental product interest rates for SFRs in the 7's right now.

Thanks for the info. Yes, high 7s have been told to me as well. Looking more so for multi family

User Stats

Votes
    Nicholas Salman
    • Lender
    • Ohio
    Votes |
    • Lender
    • Ohio
    Replied

Hey, George!  We have plenty of options that are investor friendly.  I would love to connect and take a deeper look.

Best wishes!

BiggerPockets logo
    PassivePockets is here!
    |
    BiggerPockets
    Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
    George Duchatelier
    • New to Real Estate
    • Ohio
    Votes |
    • New to Real Estate
    • Ohio
    Replied
    Quote from @Nicholas Salman:

Hey, George!  We have plenty of options that are investor friendly.  I would love to connect and take a deeper look.

Best wishes!

Thanks for reaching out. What options besides conventional loans can you offer?

User Stats

Votes
    Nicholas Salman
    • Lender
    • Ohio
    Votes |
    • Lender
    • Ohio
    Replied
    Quote from @Nicholas Salman:

Best wishes!

Thanks for reaching out. What options besides conventional loans can you offer?

We offer plenty of investor options!  I'd be happy to get on a call so I don't solicit per BP guidelines

User Stats

Votes
    Erik Estrada
    Lender
    • Lender
    Votes |
    Lender
    • Lender
    Replied

Hey George, 

I see that you are concerned about having your personal name on title. DSCR Loans are perfect for closing title under an LLC. Unfortunately, you will still have to use yourself, another member, or both to personally guarantee the loan.

Also be aware that many DSCR products have 3-5 year prepayment penalties. There are a few were you can buy down the prepay to 1 year, to save yourself from getting locked into a high interest rate loan for 3-5 years.

User Stats

Votes
    George Duchatelier
    • New to Real Estate
    • Ohio
    Votes |
    • New to Real Estate
    • Ohio
    Replied
    Quote from @Erik Estrada:

Hey George, 

I see that you are concerned about having your personal name on title. DSCR Loans are perfect for closing title under an LLC. Unfortunately, you will still have to use yourself, another member, or both to personally guarantee the loan.

Also be aware that many DSCR products have 3-5 year prepayment penalties. There are a few were you can buy down the prepay to 1 year, to save yourself from getting locked into a high interest rate loan for 3-5 years.

What do you mean by pre payment penalties? There’s an issue if I pay off the loan early?

User Stats

Votes
    Erik Estrada
    Lender
    • Lender
    Votes |
    Lender
    • Lender
    Replied

Hey George, 

What do you mean by pre payment penalties? There’s an issue if I pay off the loan early?

Yes these loans carry Prepays. Typically a 5,4,3,2,1 step down prepayment penalty. Meaning if you paid off the loan the first year, it would be 5% of the loan amount, second year 4% of the loan amount, and so on. 

User Stats

Votes
    George Duchatelier
    • New to Real Estate
    • Ohio
    Votes |
    • New to Real Estate
    • Ohio
    Replied

Hey George, 

Yes these loans carry Prepays. Typically a 5,4,3,2,1 step down prepayment penalty. Meaning if you paid off the loan the first year, it would be 5% of the loan amount, second year 4% of the loan amount, and so on. 

Oh ok. I figured it would be like any other loan where it takes the 30 years to pay off the loan. Since it’s a buy and hold property I’m trying to get

User Stats

Votes
    Erik Estrada
    Lender
    • Lender
    Votes |
    Lender
    • Lender
    Replied

Hey George, 

Oh ok. I figured it would be like any other loan where it takes the 30 years to pay off the loan. Since it’s a buy and hold property I’m trying to get

It still is a 30 year loan that fully ammortizes. Is your goal to pay down the mortgage?

User Stats

Votes
    George Duchatelier
    • New to Real Estate
    • Ohio
    Votes |
    • New to Real Estate
    • Ohio
    Replied

Hey George, 

It still is a 30 year loan that fully ammortizes. Is your goal to pay down the mortgage?

Correct. Have the tenants pay the mortgage for me through rents like my other properties

User Stats

Votes
    Erik Estrada
    Lender
    • Lender
    Votes |
    Lender
    • Lender
    Replied

Hey George, 

Correct. Have the tenants pay the mortgage for me through rents like my other properties

Still possible with a DSCR.

User Stats

Votes
    Erik Estrada
    Lender
    • Lender
    Votes |
    Lender
    • Lender
    Replied

Hey George, 

Still possible with a DSCR. Might have to put more down and buy down the rate so you can lower the mortgage payment. Interest rates are pretty high on these right now.

CV3 Financial logo
    CV3 Financial
    |
    Sponsored
    Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
    Jill F.
    • Investor
    • Akron, OH
    Votes |
    • Investor
    • Akron, OH
    Replied
    We use Wayne Savings and Civista.

User Stats

Votes
    Remington Lyman
    Agent
    #1 Real Estate Events & Meetups Contributor
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Columbus, OH
    Votes |
    Agent
    #1 Real Estate Events & Meetups Contributor
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Columbus, OH
    Replied

I can send you some lender referrals Ohio.

• Real Estate Agent Ohio (#2019003078)

User Stats

Votes
    George Duchatelier
    • New to Real Estate
    • Ohio
    Votes |
    • New to Real Estate
    • Ohio
    Replied
    Quote from @Remington Lyman:

I can send you some lender referrals Ohio.

I appreciate it! I’m going to go with the lender that took care of my 2nd house. I didn’t know he deals with dscr loans.