Cost Segregation on my House Hack to reduce W2 income

Cost Segregation on my House Hack to reduce W2 income

Investor · Meriden, CT · Member since 2020 · 35 posts · 22 votes

Hi, I am currently house hacking a triplex. It's my understanding that an individual is allowed to deduct up to $25,000 in PASSIVE losses against ACTIVE income if and only if that individual earns less than 100k MAGI (modified adjusted gross income). I am making less than 100k MAGI in this current tax year. I am NOT referring to a real estate professional status, but rather referring to Passive Activity Limits. Here's a link to what I am referring to: https://www.stessa.com/blog/pa...

My question then is, if I did a cost segregation study on my triplex using verified/trusted software such as KBKG (which only costs $400 to do), could I use all that accelerated depreciation to take an additional $25,000 reduction against my W2 income, and carry over any remaining accelerated depreciation into future years?

The follow up to this question being, since I only rent out 2/3rds of the property, would I only be allowed to claim 2/3rds of the accelerated bonus depreciation? And the final follow up to that is: If I am only allowed to take 2/3rds of the depreciation because I live in one of the units, am I missing out on carrying forward any losses I would be able to gain from depreciation once I am not occupying the property in another year and it is fully rented/investment. 

-- I understand this is tricky/intricate and extremely specific. I appreciate insight! 

1Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
Moderator
Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
4y

You can definitely utilize a cost seg on the 100% business units. 

As long as your AGI is under $100k you'll be able to utilize up to $25k in passive losses against other income sources.

Another thing to be mindful of is that if you expect to move out and rent all 3 units you may want to wait and utilize a cost seg at that time. 

If it isn't the original year of purchase a form 3115 needs to be filed to account for the depreciation changes brought forth by the cost seg- and this form is a little complicated and your CPA will likely charge for it so you won't want to do it twice. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Ryan Newport:

    Hi, I am currently house hacking a triplex. It's my understanding that an individual is allowed to deduct up to $25,000 in PASSIVE losses against ACTIVE income if and only if that individual earns less than 100k MAGI (modified adjusted gross income). I am making less than 100k MAGI in this current tax year. I am NOT referring to a real estate professional status, but rather referring to Passive Activity Limits. Here's a link to what I am referring to: https://www.stessa.com/blog/pa...

    My question then is, if I did a cost segregation study on my triplex using verified/trusted software such as KBKG (which only costs $400 to do), could I use all that accelerated depreciation to take an additional $25,000 reduction against my W2 income, and carry over any remaining accelerated depreciation into future years?

    The follow up to this question being, since I only rent out 2/3rds of the property, would I only be allowed to claim 2/3rds of the accelerated bonus depreciation? And the final follow up to that is: If I am only allowed to take 2/3rds of the depreciation because I live in one of the units, am I missing out on carrying forward any losses I would be able to gain from depreciation once I am not occupying the property in another year and it is fully rented/investment. 

    -- I understand this is tricky/intricate and extremely specific. I appreciate insight! 

    - You don't want to suspend your losses from cost seg when you don't qualify as RE pro. However, if you expect to make less than 100k for the next few years and you can fully absorb the suspended PAL, then it is ok. 

    - Yes, only the two units will qualify for the deduction. 

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | AI-Powered Tax Planning
  • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    You can definitely utilize a cost seg on the 100% business units. 

    As long as your AGI is under $100k you'll be able to utilize up to $25k in passive losses against other income sources.

    Another thing to be mindful of is that if you expect to move out and rent all 3 units you may want to wait and utilize a cost seg at that time. 

    If it isn't the original year of purchase a form 3115 needs to be filed to account for the depreciation changes brought forth by the cost seg- and this form is a little complicated and your CPA will likely charge for it so you won't want to do it twice. 

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    If you are househacking, you are not suppose to put the full house 'into service' when calculating the depreciation. 
    Therefore, you are technically not doing 2/3 of the depreciation.

  • Accountant · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2016 · 213 posts · 66 votes
    4y

    I think you should get quotes from cost segregation professionals. If you read over a cost segregation report, most of it is talking about the person's experience and qualification for coming up with their judgment. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.