Seller wont sign termination/Closing attorney will not release earnest money

Seller wont sign termination/Closing attorney will not release earnest money

Stone Mountain, GA · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 1 vote

Hi,

I entered a binding agreement with the Seller to purchase an unlisted property in Atlanta, cash. The closing attorney is holding my $2500 in earnest money. In our contract it states: Seller agrees to furnish a marketable title to the said property and agrees to convey by Limited Warranty deed to Purchaser at closing, subject only to the following:
a. All valid restrictions of record; and
b. Zoning ordinances affecting same
Purchasher shall have reasonable time after acceptance of this Contract in which to examine title and in which to furnish Seller a written statement of objections affecting the marketability of said title. Seller shall have a reasonable time after reseipt of such objections and if the Seller fails to satisfy such valid objections within a reasonable time, then at the option of the Purchaser, evidence by written notice to Seller, this contract shall be null and void.

5 business days after the date of the binding agreement the closing attorney informed me that the title was not clear. There was an open security deed for $176k and a couple of other smaller liens to someone that may be a business partner of the Seller. At this point the Seller was furious with the closing attorney telling them and me via email that the house was purchased at a tax deed sale and the title was clear. He requested the title work from the closing attorney in which he was denied but the closing attorney was willing to make him a summary of what the title showed. This sent the seller into a rant about how he had never been denied the title work. I tried to call and email the seller to let him know if he wanted to use another closing attorney that could provided me with an enhanced title insurance policy I would be willing to use another closing attorney since he felt very strongly that the title was clear.

I wanted the house so bad I failed to terminate the contract or extend it before the said closing date had passed. My closing attorney informed me they might have been able to get a release on the open security deed and that the closing attorney had spoken to one of the sellers partners and he agreed to pay the liens with the exception of the open security deed.

Once the said closing date passed the seller stop communicating with me. I attempted to call to expressed that I wanted to purchase the house and would be willing to wait a few weeks if he could provide a clear title. Seller did not respond

The seller is not willing to sign termination letter since closing date has already passed. He is requesting the earnest money be sent to him due to my default. The closing attorney can not release the funds unless both parties sign the termination and release letter which the seller is not going to do. The closing attorney is saying it would be best to work it out because if he has to turn it over to the court it can be a big hassle for everyone. How do I take the Seller to court over this matter? I'm not sure what to do next but I want my money back even if it takes a year or two.

0Reply
78 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
13y

Galen Dawes I suspect this is playing out exactly as the seller expected. I'm sure he was actually hoping you would close and take this bad deal off his hands. He knew full well he couldn't deliver clear title, though. He was, I suspect, assuming you didn't know what you were doing and would close without a title search.

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Deborah BurianPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 412 votes
    13y

    Not an expert but not certain you're going to see the $ ever again, you missed the contract date. Good luck.

  • Real Estate Investor · FL · Member since 2011 · 586 posts · 360 votes
    13y

    If I am reading it correctly, the seller couldn't perform due to the title issues. Even if you were willing and able to close, it couldn't happen due to the clouds in the title.

    There are always two sides to a story, but the side you told sounds like you should receive your EMD back.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    13y

    Had their been agents involved, I'd have suggested escalating to the agent's broker and then to the state board. Sounds like there are not. Lawyer time.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    You passing any dead lines is irrelevant. The seller could not deliver clear title. That said, collection is another issue, as most people buying at tax deed sales know exactly what they're doing, and tend to be sharks. In Fl he would have to go through the Quiet Title process to get clear title, after buying at a tax deed auction. Sounds like small claims, or use an attorney and try to collect atty fees.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    13y

    Galen Dawes I suspect this is playing out exactly as the seller expected. I'm sure he was actually hoping you would close and take this bad deal off his hands. He knew full well he couldn't deliver clear title, though. He was, I suspect, assuming you didn't know what you were doing and would close without a title search.

  • Stone Mountain, GA · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    I apologize but I forgot to include this in my original post. The seller says he told the closing attorney about the quiet title process and that the closing attorney should be able to look it up to see there was a court order that made the title clear. When I spoke to a business partner of the seller last week which was at the around the same time the seller demanded earnest money and denied signing the termination and release. He told me they went through the whole process of quiet title and there was a court order that proved the title was clear. He sent me something from www.gscca.com (Georgia Superior County Clerks Authority) about the court order. I forwarded this to the closing attorney. He said he was going to resubmit the entire title back to the title insurer. He also told me that if they made a mistake that I would not be held accountable since at the time of closing the title was not clear based on the information they provided to me. My closing attorney will know if the title is clear today sometime. The seller does not even want to sell the property to me anymore. All he wants is the earnest money since I did not terminate the contract or extend it before the closing date. I really appreciate everyone responding so quickly. Bigger pockets is the best thing since sliced bread. Only wish I would have used it sooner. So smalls claims court is my next step?

  • Stone Mountain, GA · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    At this point, Ive got an accepted contract on another listed property. Before then I was willing and able to purchase the city of Atlanta property that the seller is no longer willing to sell. Do you think I would need to hire a lawyer. I really didnt want to have to pay a lawyer 1500 or more to attempt to get back 2500. If I could represent myself I would rather do that. Whats your take on that? I do not know the sellers physical address since he uses a P.O Box for his LLC. So I'm not sure how everything is going to go with the fact that the Seller is an LLC.

  • Stone Mountain, GA · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    No agents were involved either. Only me, an individual;Seller - LLC - Principal of the LLC and the Closing attorney - Morris, Hardwick and Schidner

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    Galen,
    "He also told me that if they made a mistake that I would not be held accountable since at the time of closing the title was not clear based on the information they provided to me."
    This sounds like your attorney/title co. dropped the ball. It's not the seller's job to provide and point to all the evidence and recorded documents that show clear title. It sounds like the seller may well have been offering clear title and your title co. goofed up.
    Keep us posted.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Wayne Brooks:

    "He also told me that if they made a mistake that I would not be held accountable since at the time of closing the title was not clear based on the information they provided to me."
    This sounds like your attorney/title co. dropped the ball. It's not the seller's job to provide and point to all the evidence and recorded documents that show clear title. It sounds like the seller may well have been offering clear title and your title co. goofed up.

    Exactly, As someone who does a ton of tax lien foreclosures I get frustrated when Title companies refuse to insure my perfectly good title . My attitude is if the title company that the buyer chooses does not insure my title wich the title company I recommended will that is a failing of the buyer not the seller.

    Ned

  • Stone Mountain, GA · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    I havent heard back from my closing attorney to see for sure if the title is clear or not. I was just trying to see if it is clear, do you think I do not have a good case taking it to court. When the seller and I were first informed the title was not clear, I told the seller I would be willing to use another closing attorney that could provide me with enhanced title insurance policy and asked him who would he recommend. No response.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    13y

    Here's my take (I'm not an attorney):

    1. MHS is the largest closing attorney firm in the nation -- I've worked with them many times and they are knowledgeable and honest in my opinion. Does that mean they always do things the way I think they should? Nope. But they are consistent.

    2. If agents were involved, this would be easier. The broker would send a 15 day notice based on whomever signed the termination and the other party would have the opportunity to respond and/or protest. If they didn't, the terminating party would likely get their money back. If there was a protest, the money would be handed over to the courts and it would be up to the parties to litigate and fight for it.

    3. The closing attorney *should* do the same thing -- refer the money to the courts and allow the parties to fight for it. Given that it sounds like MHS represents YOU (does the contract state that???), they should be able to give you advice on how to pursue the EM.

    4. I believe you should just be able to file a small claims suit, go in front of a judge and let the judge decide who gets the EM. I've never had to do this, but I'm under the impression that's the typical way it's done when there is an EM dispute that the broker or attorney refuses to decide on.

    5. While Ned makes a good point about it being YOUR attorney who can't get clear title, presumably the seller agreed to use that attorney for the closing and the title work, so in my COMPLETELY NON EXPERT opinion, the seller should have to accept the fact that the closing attorney HE approved could not get clear title.

    Again, I'm not an attorney, and I've never dealt with this specific situation before, but that's my opinion based on how I've seen and heard about things being done in this state.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 146 posts · 91 votes
    13y

    It's okay if you don't know the address of the individual. File a claim in the correct county and work with a private process server. They will serve the registered agent. If the LLC doesn't have a registered agent then the process server can run a skip on the individual and find the home address.

    Get the individual served and show up at court. You're looking at 300 to file the case, 65 for private service, 100 for a full skip trace.

    You can shop around for the best private process server. Just google it and you will get plenty of companies in Atlanta. I recommend that you work with one that is part of NAPPS.

  • Stone Mountain, GA · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    Thanks for the feedback. I heard back from the closing attorney today, MHS. After sending the title back to the title insurer, they said that

    The title company is not willing to insure do to the fact that there are 2 Assignments that were given to the Michael M. Dobbs IRA and H&R Family Partnership. The underwriter is saying that since these two entities were not given notice to the law suit and were not included in the law suit then they will not be able to insure this transaction without exception.
    Do to the Earnest money agreement that was signed by both you and seller if you all don’t agree to the release of the earnest money then my firm will have to file an interpleader action.

  • Stone Mountain, GA · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    The seller still feels that since I did not terminate or extend the contract before the closing date, he is due the earnest money so he is not willing to cooperate in any way that will mean me getting back the earnest money.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    Galen Dawes Sounds like the seller did NOT do a proper quiet title action, and can not therefore deliver clear title. Give him his last notice. The interpleader action puts the decision in the court's hands, where it will need to be pursued. It seems pretty slam dunk to me, that you are in the right. The seller seems like one of those guys that believes if you tell the same blatant lie consistently enough, that someone will believe it. Go get 'em.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Galen Dawes:
    The seller still feels that since I did not terminate or extend the contract before the closing date, he is due the earnest money so he is not willing to cooperate in any way that will mean me getting back the earnest money.

    Assuming the contract called for the seller to provide clear and marketable title, the seller is the one who couldn't deliver.

    You have no obligation to terminate or extend the contract -- you were willing to close. Unfortunately, the seller was unable to meet the terms of the contract (clear title), so he defaulted and the earnest money should be returned to you.

    Interpleader is standard when the two parties can't agree on the EM...brokers will sometimes award the EM based on their opinion, but attorneys rarely do in my experience. I have a feeling you'll win the suit.

  • Stone Mountain, GA · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    The contract we have does not use the word clear title. It says marketable title.

    Seller agrees to furnish a marketable title to the said property and agrees to convey by Limited Warranty deed to Purchaser at closing, subject only to the following:
    a. All valid restrictions of record; and
    b. Zoning ordinances affecting same
    Purchasher shall have reasonable time after acceptance of this Contract in which to examine title and in which to furnish Seller a written statement of objections affecting the marketability of said title. Seller shall have a reasonable time after receipt of such objections and if the Seller fails to satisfy such valid objections within a reasonable time, then at the option of the Purchaser, evidence by written notice to Seller, this contract shall be null and void.

    Our contract also says :
    Buyer or Seller may extend the closing date six days upon notice to either party prior to or on the closing date if the seller cannot satisfy valid title objections. If the right to extend the closing date is not exercised, the right shall be terminated.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    Galen Dawes In you original post you indicated that you notified seller of the title issue in 5 biz days after the executed contract. Assuming that is well within your time limits, go get 'em.

  • Stone Mountain, GA · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    With Morris Hardwick and Schneider filling an interpleader action, is my next step small claims court?

  • Stone Mountain, GA · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    With MHS filling a interpleader action, what would be my next step, small claims court?

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Galen Dawes:

    Seller agrees to furnish a marketable title to the said property and agrees to convey by Limited Warranty deed to Purchaser at closing, subject only to the following:

    I'm definitely no expert, but I would guess that a reasonable court would determine that if you can't get title insurance, the seller doesn't have marketable title. It's really that simple.


    Our contract also says :
    Buyer or Seller may extend the closing date six days upon notice to either party prior to or on the closing date if the seller cannot satisfy valid title objections. If the right to extend the closing date is not exercised, the right shall be terminated.

    That changes nothing. That just says that if neither of you extend, you should just get your money back sooner... :)

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    Galen, ask the title co. I've never had to do it, but the interpleader action asks the court to decide. I assume you start in the court division where the interpleader filing occurs.

  • Stone Mountain, GA · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    Thanks

  • Stone Mountain, GA · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    Spoke to general counsel at MHS. He is saying that if he files the interpleader action, it would go to state court. He also said that it can take up to a year to actually go to court and price of a lawyer might add up to the total or half of the earnest money. He is suggesting me and the Seller split the money. This kind of sounds like I loose either way. The main reason he is suggesting splitting the money may be the best option for both parties is because the time it takes to go to court and the cost of the lawyer. The general counsel said he wouldnt file the interpleader action in magistrate court because it can be appealed and the process would start completely over in state court if it was appealed.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.