We Need a Buy-Sell Agreement w/ Goose & Gander Clause

We Need a Buy-Sell Agreement w/ Goose & Gander Clause

Rental Property Investor · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 206 posts · 83 votes

My business partner and I have set up an LLC and currently have one residential property, with another commercial multi-family expected to be under contract this week. Over the course of a few months and 2 lawyers later, we were finally able to get our Operating Agreement drafted to fit our needs. We still need a Buy-Sell agreement w/ a Goose & Gander clause but do not want to keep filtering through lawyers. I'm hoping someone might have a similar Buy-Sell clause to their LLC that they would be willing to share or can point me in the right direction.

Essentially we do not want to allow any sale of 1 members shares to a 3rd party. If either party wants to exit the partnership, they would offer to either buy or sell their shares to the other partner at a specified price. The offeree then has the option to buy (if offeror attempts to buy) or sell (if offoror attempts to sell) at that specified price. This keeps the offering party honest and not low ball any offers, as the offeree has ability to capture the same deal. Since I'm not great at explaining things an example might help

Example: I want to exit the partnership so I offer to sell my shares to my business partner at 85% of fair market value. My business partner would then have the option to either accept, or sell their shares to me at 85% of market value which would trump my offer and I would be obligated to accept. This would keep me from offering to sell at above market pricing, as they can then turn it around and sell their shares to me at the same price, overriding my original offer.

I appreciate any help!

1Reply
24 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Cleveland, OH · Member since 2011 · 400 posts · 223 votes
    7y

    That sounds like a pretty standard Right of First Refusal. You should be able to find some examples googling around. I found a plethora of examples at this website:

    https://www.lawinsider.com/clause/first-right-of-refusal


  • Attorney and Real Estate Broker · Madison, WI · Member since 2016 · 265 posts · 100 votes
    7y

    Yes these types of clauses are standard though you would always want to read through, talk through, and think through for your situation and tweak as necessary before signing. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 206 posts · 83 votes
    6y

    @Christian Carson @Ryan Seib, thank you both. I'll check it out. For some reason I didn't get a notification for the comments.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.