Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
Jim M.
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Manahawkin, NJ
Votes |
Deductions for a newbie

Jim M.
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Manahawkin, NJ
Posted Sep 4 2017, 10:29

So I am a brand-newbie at this, have not done a deal yet.  I realize that the very first thing I need to do is educate myself, which will probably take several months (which will put us into the next tax year) before I am ready to pull the trigger and make that first deal.  My question is, if I spend money now on educating myself (e.g., books, courses, biggerpockets pro membership, etc.) but don't actually begin investing in real estate until next year, will I still be able to deduct those expenses for this tax year?  Or do I need to have a real estate "business" set up first?

FWIW, I am a W-2 employee and also earned a small amount of 1099 income this year, by moonlighting at the same occupation as my full-time job.  My current occupation has nothing to do with real estate.

Thanks so much.  Looking forward to getting to know many of you here on biggerpockets as I begin my journey. :)

Loading replies...