Is legal action possible if a bank does not follow through?

Is legal action possible if a bank does not follow through?

Hartford, WI · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 2 votes

I have been trying to close on a short-sale Duplex since July of 2016. The process has been long and very, very stressful. When I first seen the property in July, the bank would not take my offer because they were already in the negotiation stage with another buyer. Once this deal fell through, I moved in and made an offer, negotiated and I had an accepted offer by September 14th, 2016. I realize that the short-sale process is a long process, but I have met several other roadblocks along the way. Since I am using an FHA loan, there were several issues flagged in the inspection. I personally went to the house and fixed all the issues and patiently waited for a month and a half before the listing agent would meet with the FHA inspector again to allow him to inspect the property again. The property passed, the slow short-sale process continued and we hit another roadblock. My lender performed a title search and found that there was a second mortgage on the property. The listing agent had never run a title search. The second mortgage was through a separate financial institution as well. When this was discovered, the two banks had to negotiate between each other to divide up their part of the accepted offer. I was recently informed two days ago, that they had finally completed this process. I also found out, two days ago, that the property is being scheduled for auction on the last day of this month, and now the very incompetent listing agent is scrambling to get things done.

My question is, if they fail to follow through with this deal and the house goes to auction is legal action possible? Again, to reiterate, I’m wondering if there is an incentive on the bank’s part to make sure this deal goes through. If there is possible legal action, I would assume that they have an incentive to follow through with this deal and not allow it to go to auction.

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
9y

Your contract is with the seller, not the bank. It is likely contingent on the seller being able to deliver clear title. If it is not contingent on that, then you could be in a bad spot as they could could take legal action against you to take the property with the liens in place

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    Hi @Robert Courtney,

    I doubt you have any recourse. The HELOC lender was apparently never asked to approve the short sale. No lender is ever required to approve a short sale.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago Suburbs, IL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    9y

    @Robert Courtney In my state, if you go to court and bring the contract proving that you are under contract on the home, the judge can either move out the auction date or maybe not confirm the auction sale; I am not sure which because we haven't done it, but a friend of mine who's company bought like a thousand homes in the area over the past few years has a lawyer that does that for him.  

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    9y

    Your contract is with the seller, not the bank. It is likely contingent on the seller being able to deliver clear title. If it is not contingent on that, then you could be in a bad spot as they could could take legal action against you to take the property with the liens in place

  • Investor · Takoma Park, MD · Member since 2016 · 166 posts · 147 votes
    9y

    I agree, you do not have recourse here. This situation is little different than a scenario not involving a short sale where your title company did a search prior to closing and discovered there is a lien on the place.  But on the bright side, if it does go to auction, you might pick it up for less than you previously offered.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    Yep, you definitely had an incompetent listing agent, and also the buyer agent because if they were on the ball they would check for these things.  And no, you have absolutely no recourse against the bank. As for the bank's incentive, they might just feel they will get more at the auction, since they are paying no closing costs, commissions, or contributions to the second mtg.  The motivation is all on your side.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.