Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
John Humphries
  • Investor
  • Courtenay, British Columbia
Votes |
Transferring money from a Roth IRA to a Self Directed Roth IRA

John Humphries
  • Investor
  • Courtenay, British Columbia
Posted Jan 10 2017, 17:03

I've got $30,000 in a Roth IRA with Ameritrade that I used to actively manage in stocks and corporate bonds. I'd like to use this money in real estate and real estate related investments now, but I am only 40 years old and (to my limited understanding) I can't just pull this money out without penalty. It has been over 5 years since I have opened and/or contributed to this Roth.

As an added wrinkle, I live in Canada now and have not had US income since moving here almost 10 years ago so I am not able to contribute new money to my Roth.

What I would like to do is to use this money to invest in two different real estate investment vehicles. One is a crowdfunding, "alternate investment" which basically would be buying shares in a portfolio of houses to be rehabbed, rented, and eventually sold. The other way that I would like to use the money is to buy individual investment properties in the US myself.

My understanding is that you can do either of these with a Self Directed Roth IRA. Is it possible to use one custodian to do both? Can anyone recommend a SDRIRA custodian or at least someone that is qualified to answer some of these questions?

Loading replies...