Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
John Cava
  • Architect
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
Conflicting info asset valuation for in-kind RMD's from real estate

John Cava
  • Architect
  • Portland, OR
Posted Jul 19 2024, 18:15

Hi everyone,

I'm getting conflicting information from supposedly knowledgeable sources on this, so I wondered if anyone has been down this road and can direct me to a reliable info source.

I'm taking in-kind distributions from a SDIRA which is all in just one SF home. The question is this (numbers are just round for ease of calculation): Suppose the home is valued at $500K, and I took a $50,000 (10%) distribution last year, including what was owed for taxes. So then the house is 10% owned by The Person, and 90% owned by The LLC (income and expenses shared accordingly).

Now this year say I want to take the same percentage (10%) - and say it's a flat market and the house is still appraised at $500,000.  

When I report the value of the asset that I am taking the Distribution from, is it still $500,000, as per the current appraisal and receive $50,000? Or do I disregard the 10% portion owned by Me The Person, so I would take 10% of $450,000? In either case, The Person would now own 20% of the asset and the LLC would own 80%.

I've had authorities (not the IRS - that's my last resort) tell me both. Using the LLC asset only makes more sense to me, but I've heard it from tax attorneys for example that the appraised value is what's used each year, until The Person owns 100%, then it's game over.

If anyone has direct knowledge or first hand experience or can point me to a specific reference document (IRS perhaps?), I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

John in Portland

Loading replies...