Can I write off sales tax on repair items

Can I write off sales tax on repair items

Financial Advisor · Member since 2022 · 67 posts · 67 votes

Would appreciate it if any investors or CPAs can answer my questions. I own a duplex in Ohio and live in CA. I own it under my own name. There were some repairs I had my handyman do that had a cost plus the sales tax. For example, $2000 plus a sales tax of $100. So the total cost to me is $2100. Can I write off the $2100 or only $2000. Separately, for utilities like gas, I pay online with a credit card and they charge me a $2 fee. So if the utilities for that month are $50 they will charge me $2 extra ($52) to pay with card. Can I write off $52? Also, are home insurance premiums tax deductible? 

If I sell my duplex and buy another one somewhere else, can I carry those expenses with me to the next property? Can I use these write offs against income I might make from flipping or even selling my duplex? I’m studying to get my real estate license in CA. I heard that there is something called Real Estate Professional status for taxes. How would this work being licensed in CA and owning a duplex in OH? 

3Reply
19 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Sean O'KeefePro Member
    CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 870 votes
    2y

    @Michael A. I'm based in California and have other customers with out-of-state properties in Ohio. 

    1. Deduct the total cost of the expenses including sales tax
    2. You can deduct the cost for utilities and incremental processing fee for payment via credit card
    3. The insurance on a rental property is a deductible expense

    Your other questions are a little more vague. I’d either meet with a Real Estate CPA or provide more detail in this thread so other Real Estate CPAs in this forum can answer these other questions.

    .

    .

    .

    *This post does not create a CPA-client relationship. The information contained in this post is not to be relied upon. Readers are advised to seek professional advice.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.