Cash out refi conditions on portfolio loan

Cash out refi conditions on portfolio loan

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 826 posts · 810 votes

Has anyone else experienced banks placing conditions on fund draws approved for cash out refi on a portfolio loan?

Specifically, we have a bank requesting that we show executed purchase contract before being allowed to draw funds. This is a non-starter for us, but before negotiating harder or walking from this lender, I’d like to get a pulse from others.

1Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Kerry BairdPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y

Is this a line of credit? If so, that makes sense to me. 

I got a loan recently from a portfolio lender on a house that was hit by hail during the escrow period.  Was a good house when I made the offer, and was now a damaged house. 

I renegotiated with the seller, who got the insurance check for the hail damage, and agreed to turn the insurance settlement over to us so that we could complete renovations.  The lender held that check and would not release funds until the work had been completed.  I was of the opinion that it was "our" money to use up front, but it was their opinion that their position was secured by damaged house, and said house needed to be repaired.  Your situation sounds like it might rhyme with this.  

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Is this a line of credit? If so, that makes sense to me. 

    I got a loan recently from a portfolio lender on a house that was hit by hail during the escrow period.  Was a good house when I made the offer, and was now a damaged house. 

    I renegotiated with the seller, who got the insurance check for the hail damage, and agreed to turn the insurance settlement over to us so that we could complete renovations.  The lender held that check and would not release funds until the work had been completed.  I was of the opinion that it was "our" money to use up front, but it was their opinion that their position was secured by damaged house, and said house needed to be repaired.  Your situation sounds like it might rhyme with this.  

  • Lender · United States · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 499 votes
    6y

    A LOC would make sense, but not for a refinance.

  • Linton, IN · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    If the purpose of the loan was to purchase additional real estate and it's a LOC or a loan with some controlled disbursement account attached to it, then yes that makes sense to me. However, I would expect to see some sort of agreement to that fact within your loan documentation.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 826 posts · 810 votes
    6y

    Thank you all for the input. This was simply a cash out refi endeavor. After further dialogue, the lender removed the requirement.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.