Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Creative Real Estate Financing

User Stats

Votes
Alain Chautard
  • Rancho Cordova, CA
Votes |
Owner financed deals: Where to find them?

Alain Chautard
  • Rancho Cordova, CA
Posted Sep 4 2018, 17:52

I own two properties financed through two personal mortgages overt he past 2 years. I'm now thinking about my third investment, but don't want to make much of a down payment for it. Instead, I think that an owner financed deal would be great. The only thing is: Where to find such opportunities? Is there any database where owners interested in financing would list their property?

Thanks in advance for your insights!

User Stats

Votes
Dan Barli
  • Attorney
  • Clifton, NJ
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Clifton, NJ
Replied Sep 4 2018, 18:25

I don't know of any databases that have owner financing deals available @Alain Chautard. I think you just have to include that with your offer with sellers until you find the ones that are interested in holding paper on a deal for you. Good luck! 

User Stats

Votes
Patti Robertson
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Sep 4 2018, 18:28

Check with a local agent to see if owner financing is a database field in your MLS. It is in ours. It is very usual to find a seller who would be willing to seller finance with a low down payment though. Usually in order to get that privilege you need to put down a heafty down payment.

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
The Easiest Way to Save 150 hours & $5,000 / year Stop the busy work and start growing your RE business with market leading APY & automated finances

User Stats

Votes
Ralph Newton
  • Houma, LA
Votes |
  • Houma, LA
Replied Sep 4 2018, 20:48

@Alian Chautard  One great way to find  owner financing is to call all sellers that are trying to sell their home “for sale by owner” you would be surprised what you can find out there. you might get some seller financing through subject to the existing loan lease-option there’s any number of ways to get owner financing. There’s a couple to get you started. It would definitely have to be a motivated seller that’s in some kind of situation where you could come in and take over the payments for instants anyway that’s a couple good ways. It’s not easy but Definitely possible good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Alain Chautard
  • Rancho Cordova, CA
Votes |
  • Rancho Cordova, CA
Replied Sep 4 2018, 20:48
Originally posted by @Patti Robertson:

Usually in order to get that privilege you need to put down a heafty down payment.

@Patti Robertson: What percentage of down payment is usually expected? Is it more than 20%?

User Stats

Votes
Patti Robertson
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Sep 4 2018, 22:41

Depends on the seller,  but generally 5-20%.

User Stats

Votes
Alain Chautard
  • Rancho Cordova, CA
Votes |
  • Rancho Cordova, CA
Replied Sep 5 2018, 09:12

Thanks a lot for your answers. This gives me good ideas on where to look next.

User Stats

Votes
Michinori Kaneko
  • Rental Property Investor
  • New York
Votes |
  • New York
Replied Sep 5 2018, 09:19

Interesting thread! Thanks for good info!

User Stats

Votes
Tom S.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Burlington, VT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Burlington, VT
Replied Sep 5 2018, 10:24

@Alain Chautard  Agree with Patti's comments above, typically 10-20% down is what I've done for buying owner financed deals.  Anything less than that usually doesn't spark much interest.  

Some people say offer less down and more than asking price, but personally I would never pay over asking.  Just because owner financing is offered, it's only one component of the investment.  Numbers have to make sense.

Good luck!

- Tom

User Stats

Votes
Alain Chautard
  • Rancho Cordova, CA
Votes |
  • Rancho Cordova, CA
Replied Sep 5 2018, 17:05

@Tom S. and @Patti Robertson: Do you know of any investment strategy that would require less than 10% down? For instance, could this work with private money?

User Stats

Votes
Tom S.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Burlington, VT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Burlington, VT
Replied Sep 5 2018, 17:16

@Alain Chautard  I've had the good luck asking the owner to carry a small second mortgage, say for 15% of the purchase price.  The bank then lends 80%, so I'm in for only 5% down on an investment property.

The key: fund the 20% down first (typically from my 401k), close on the property, then have the seller execute the 2nd mortgage that basically "reimburses me" 15% out of the 20% I put down.  I then repay my 401k, and usually it's only a $75 admin fee to borrow like that.

Still depends on many factors, the bank and our relationship (small banks that portfolio lend and I keep my deposit accounts there) and the banks approval to allow a 2nd mortgage, credit, and the deal all came into play, for me least.

User Stats

Votes
Alain Chautard
  • Rancho Cordova, CA
Votes |
  • Rancho Cordova, CA
Replied Sep 5 2018, 17:23

@Tom S. That's creative, I like it ;-) My take is that in order to get low down payments, using a combination of different financing tricks seems to always be helpful. There isn't one single strategy, but rather a range of options that, when combined together, can work like magic.

User Stats

Votes
Dennis M.#5 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Erie, pa
Votes |
Dennis M.#5 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Erie, pa
Replied Sep 5 2018, 18:52
@Alain Chautard Look for properties on Craigslist or zillow fsbo . Give them two offers . One with a land contract at market prIce and one with a lowball cash offer . Another great tip is call ‘for rent’ signs at potential properties and ask the owner if he is interested in selling instead of renting . I’ve had many reply back . There’s so many baby boomers retiring from landlording they are burnt out and willing to negotiate but most unsophisticated people never snoop around they are lazy ..they just pay retail on the mls . It’s usually only a business minded person who will do land contracts / seller finance . Regular homeowners who don’t do business or invest are very reluctant to sell on terms . I would offer 10% down no balloons and extend out as long as they will agree to . It’s recorded and done through a RE lawyer . Not a handshake or verbal agreement .
BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
Patti Robertson
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Sep 5 2018, 19:27

@Alain Chautard - I am fortunate to be a HomeVestors franchisee and am able to borrow from them for no money out of pocket, fix it up (with their money), lease it up, then refi it with a local bank. I do have one owner financed home in my IRA that I paid nothing down to the seller but paid a wholesaler $8K to bring me a house that I paid $40K for - with 100% financing. Today's market is very, very competitive. We have more buyers than properties. Sellers have options, so it is harder to find those low money down, financed deals. Be patient, the market will eventually shift.

User Stats

Votes
Karen Rittenhouse
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Greensboro, NC
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Greensboro, NC
Replied Sep 6 2018, 08:46

@Alain Chautard

No, there is no such list. These opportunities are not "found", they're created through negotiating with sellers.

And the best deals for owner financed are free and clear - no mortgages. Those you can find either by research or purchasing lists.

Another source are inherited properties or people going into retirement homes - anyone who wants a regular income stream and especially when trying to avoid paying taxes on huge income windfalls.

Good luck to you!

User Stats

Votes
Alain Chautard
  • Rancho Cordova, CA
Votes |
  • Rancho Cordova, CA
Replied Sep 6 2018, 09:04

Thanks everyone, great answers! 

@Dennis M.: I like the idea of hunting for "For rent" properties. It's definitely easy to see how someone looking for a monthly rent could agree to a owner financed deal. Makes perfect sense.

User Stats

Votes
Spencer Cornelia
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Sep 8 2018, 13:51

I'm in agreement to buy a 4plex off market with seller financing.  I sent out mailers to 4plex owners here in Las Vegas.  I pitched the idea to the owner and he was the ideal person to seller finance - owned 100%, no need for huge lump sum of cash, and super nice guy wanting to help out a beginner.  If you are good at selling property owners on the benefits (seller financing is win-win for both sides in my opinion), then you should offer up the idea every time you speak to a property owner who does not have a mortgage.  As for finding them - I can't imagine there's a direct strategy other than calling and asking.

User Stats

Votes
Costa Deir
  • Watertown, NY
Votes |
  • Watertown, NY
Replied Sep 10 2018, 03:54

@Spencer Cornelia Can you explain more how seller financing is a win-win option for seller and buyer? How do you pitch that? Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Rich Hupper
  • Broker / Investor
  • Tewksbury, MA
Votes |
  • Broker / Investor
  • Tewksbury, MA
Replied Sep 10 2018, 05:40

I was looking at the numbers comparing return on equity verse interest earned on principal the other day. The scenario looked at cash flows over 10 years. I was having a hard time seeing what the advantage of seller financing would be for a seller if they owned the property free and clear, where they agreed to a fixed interest rate. 

When sellers hold paper do they ever give buyers 30 year ams with a fixed interest rate and no balloon?

User Stats

Votes
Bill Ernst
  • Windsor CA
Votes |
  • Windsor CA
Replied Sep 10 2018, 06:08

Patti and Karen are spot on - follow their threads.

Out here, I troll around on my Harley and look for a massive pile of garbage, literally, and then I start delicately inquiring and investigating... I was inspired by Carlton Sheets, and there are many o the same ilk. Don’t discount their purpose; meant to inspire and dream and think out of the box. I was inspired, dreamed and thought out of the box — then WORKED-WORKED-WORKED. I’ve made a disgusting amount of money with TERMS/SELLER FINANCING. 

My mantra / game I play and tease people with when we discover an overpriced property is to ask: “What terms could you ask for that would make that price of his worthwhile?”

User Stats

Votes
Spencer Cornelia
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Sep 10 2018, 07:36

@Costa Deir

Seller:
massive reduction in tax hit when selling
receives 6.5% interest rate for 30 years without any work
worst case scenario, I default --> he gets back property with my down payment and payments and can re-sell
nice check every month ($1,513 in my case)
can sell with no closing costs, agent fees, or lawyer fees (I covered these as our agreement)

Buyer:
no rules for down payment - for me, I'm only putting down like 8% on a multi family buy and hold
I get a cash flowing property with only $20k out of my pocket
no PMI if less than 20% down payment (this is huge help to cash flow)
**it may not count towards mortgage limit through the eyes of a lender**  --> not sure about this, I'll need to do some research to confirm.

@Richard -- you never know what a seller's interests are.  Mine wanted to retire and a $1,513 check every month is exactly what he wanted.  He knows the property and how it performs and knows that worst case scenario, he keeps all of my money and equity and gets the property back.

User Stats

Votes
Costa Deir
  • Watertown, NY
Votes |
  • Watertown, NY
Replied Sep 10 2018, 08:25
@Spencer Cornelia good stuff! Thanks man

User Stats

Votes
Efrem Debesay
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Dec 15 2021, 13:36

Thank you for the great info!!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes