Advice on Banks With Low Down Payments on Investor Properties?

Advice on Banks With Low Down Payments on Investor Properties?

New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 3 votes

I am seeing a lot of articles out there talking about banks that offer loans on investment properties for less than 25%, in the ballpark of 20%. But I can't seem to actually find said banks. Does anybody have recommendations for banks that lend in NY that offer 20% or lower down payments on multifamily investment properties? The 25% plus the 6 months reserves required are killing me. Thanks, and I appreciate any input!

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
8y
If it’s non owner occupied and conventional financing it will likely be 25 percent minimum. Lowest I heard was 20 percent down for a duplex. That bank doesn’t do mortgages anymore though
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    If it’s non owner occupied and conventional financing it will likely be 25 percent minimum. Lowest I heard was 20 percent down for a duplex. That bank doesn’t do mortgages anymore though
  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    @Paul M. on a Single Family Home there are plenty of banks that only need 15% down...but for multifamily I have never seen a bank require less than 25% down. Maybe try this in the New York forum? If the property is in New York I would try there but I'm not sure on how likely it is that you will find a solution. Most people would use the BRRR method to limit their downpayment on any investment property for this very reason.

  • Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 121 posts · 31 votes
    8y

    Try Chemical Bank. Have you considered an acquisition LOC? Many finance 90% of purchase price

  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Paul M.:

    I am seeing a lot of articles out there talking about banks that offer loans on investment properties for less than 25%, in the ballpark of 20%. But I can't seem to actually find said banks. Does anybody have recommendations for banks that lend in NY that offer 20% or lower down payments on multifamily investment properties? The 25% plus the 6 months reserves required are killing me. Thanks, and I appreciate any input!

    Paul,

    I've copied a link to Fannie Mae's eligibility matrix.  it's what most lenders use for determining down payments etc... because they have to conform to Fannie Mae guidelines (unless they're selling to Freddie Mac).  You'll see that the purchase of an investment property is allowed up to 85% loan to value for a single family residential and 2-4 units reduces the loan to value to 75%.

    Hope that helps.  

    Stephanie

    https://www.fanniemae.com/content/eligibility_info...

  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 316 posts · 130 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Ali L.:

    Try Chemical Bank. Have you considered an acquisition LOC? Many finance 90% of purchase price

    How would an acquisition LOC work. A group I am working with is looking to put down the traditional 25-30% for a cash flowing property but, would like to access that equity to help fund a gut rehab job.

  • Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 121 posts · 31 votes
    8y
    The LOC allows repair cost inclusion in LTV calculation. Try Muth Capital or Midwestern Corporate. 
    Originally posted by @Calvin Lipscomb:
    Originally posted by @Ali L.:

    Try Chemical Bank. Have you considered an acquisition LOC? Many finance 90% of purchase price

    How would an acquisition LOC work. A group I am working with is looking to put down the traditional 25-30% for a cash flowing property but, would like to access that equity to help fund a gut rehab job.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.