Advice for a young investor on first deal

Advice for a young investor on first deal

New to Real Estate · Tempe AZ & Carlsbad CA · Member since 2021 · 27 posts · 21 votes

Hi Bigger Pockets community,

My name is Nick Schwarte. I'm an ambitious student pursuing a degree in Construction Management at Arizona State University, complemented by a minor in Real Estate. My passion lies in exploring investment prospects within the realm of residential real estate while eagerly seeking connections with like-minded individuals

I'm here seeking guidance as I embark on my journey into property investment. This fall, I aim to secure a single-family home to accommodate myself and 3-4 friends, ideally a fixer-upper for a strategic house-hack.

However, being a 19-year-old student, my available funds for a downpayment range between $20,000 - $50,000. Yet, without a full-time job, I face challenges in qualifying for a loan. I'm exploring innovative avenues to overcome this hurdle, including creative financing options like seller financing, lease-to-own arrangements, or potentially leveraging a parental connection for the loan.

Your insights and advice on navigating these financing hurdles would be immensely valuable. Thank you for any tips or information you can provide!

1Reply
28 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Noah CorwickPro Member
    Realtor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2021 · 271 posts · 115 votes
    2y

    Hey Nick, 

    Most on market seller carry's will require a steep 20% down. With most SFHs in PHX averaging around $460k, it could become difficult to find one. 

    I like your idea about a lease to own scenario. This might be the best route to get you in the door and secure your investment until you have a full time job/W2 job. 

    There might also be some loan options to explore, so I would definitely suggest talking to a few Loan Officers. 

    Are there particular areas that you are aiming to purchase in? 

  • Investor · Member since 2023 · 38 posts · 7 votes
    2y

    my advice is to use CC funding. 

    with my CC I get 100K funding,  which gives you up to 100K with 0% interest for 12 months.

    you can DM me and I can connect you with the company I did it.

    good luck with your investment.

  • New to Real Estate · Tempe AZ & Carlsbad CA · Member since 2021 · 27 posts · 21 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Noah Corwick:

    Hey Nick, 

    Most on market seller carry's will require a steep 20% down. With most SFHs in PHX averaging around $460k, it could become difficult to find one. 

    I like your idea about a lease to own scenario. This might be the best route to get you in the door and secure your investment until you have a full time job/W2 job. 

    There might also be some loan options to explore, so I would definitely suggest talking to a few Loan Officers. 

    Are there particular areas that you are aiming to purchase in? 

    Hey Noah, 

    Thank you for your response, it's greatly appreciated. I'm still a student at ASU and aiming to for a house not too far from campus; 20 minutes tops. Would you recommend any loan officers or just reach out to anyone I can?

    Thank you! 
  • Noah CorwickPro Member
    Realtor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2021 · 271 posts · 115 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nicholas Schwarte:
    Quote from @Noah Corwick:

    Hey Nick, 

    Most on market seller carry's will require a steep 20% down. With most SFHs in PHX averaging around $460k, it could become difficult to find one. 

    I like your idea about a lease to own scenario. This might be the best route to get you in the door and secure your investment until you have a full time job/W2 job. 

    There might also be some loan options to explore, so I would definitely suggest talking to a few Loan Officers. 

    Are there particular areas that you are aiming to purchase in? 

    Hey Noah, 

    Thank you for your response, it's greatly appreciated. I'm still a student at ASU and aiming to for a house not too far from campus; 20 minutes tops. Would you recommend any loan officers or just reach out to anyone I can?

    Thank you! 

    You're welcome Nick. 

    Got it, Tempe makes sense. 

    I can connect you with a few LOs. Check your DM! 

  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940 · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 319 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nicholas Schwarte:

    Hi Bigger Pockets community,

    My name is Nick Schwarte. I'm an ambitious student pursuing a degree in Construction Management at Arizona State University, complemented by a minor in Real Estate. My passion lies in exploring investment prospects within the realm of residential real estate while eagerly seeking connections with like-minded individuals

    I'm here seeking guidance as I embark on my journey into property investment. This fall, I aim to secure a single-family home to accommodate myself and 3-4 friends, ideally a fixer-upper for a strategic house-hack.

    However, being a 19-year-old student, my available funds for a downpayment range between $20,000 - $50,000. Yet, without a full-time job, I face challenges in qualifying for a loan. I'm exploring innovative avenues to overcome this hurdle, including creative financing options like seller financing, lease-to-own arrangements, or potentially leveraging a parental connection for the loan.

    Your insights and advice on navigating these financing hurdles would be immensely valuable. Thank you for any tips or information you can provide!


    Hey Nick ! 20-50k is definitely enough to get into a fix and flip with 20% down on the purchase 100% of construction is provided upto 65% ARV . There are no income no doc programs available for first time investors

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.