questions on how to pitch different seller finance options.

questions on how to pitch different seller finance options.

Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 2 votes

Hello all. Im really excited to be here and start my ROI journey!

Yesterday toured a really unique property that im interested in buying in Colorado. Its on 2 parcels with a 3bd 3ba 4100sqft house. it has a man made pond on property as well as over 4000sqft of shop space between 2 large buildings. He lived there for 30 years and he owns the place outright but has not lived there in 4 years so the place is in need of some love both inside and out. Asking price is 500k but seems motivated. If he is willing to do 100% owner finance im comfortable paying the 500k and structuring a deal based off of that number. anything less and i will be offering between 435k-465k

Ideally i would like to use this as a STR once its back to its previous glory. but would not be opposed to flipping it if the numbers make sense.

We pitched owner finance and he was willing to listen but would not send his numbers he wanted a pitch.  We don't know right now how much he is willing to finance so i i wrote up a few offers to send to him, can i please get some feedback on any and all of these schedules. 1 is a full owner finance, 2 is half, the others are interest only options, 1 for the full amount and another for financing the down payment. Im also considering asking if he would accept a 6 month up front payment as the down payment and start making payments in month 7 because the house will be under construction for 4-6 months minimum with no income. 

I know there are a thousand different ways to structure seller finance and these were just the beginning of my thought process. Im still waiting to hear back from him as he's retired in the Philippines. Im fairly comfortable speaking confidently about the benefit or "win win" of seller finance but am nervous about offending him. He is represented by an agent as am I and we are discussing the possibility of direct contact but as of now we are going through the agents. 

SO in short (long haha) should I be asking what HIS NEEDS ARE? how much a month or how much up front he needs and then structure a deal based on those figures or should i "pitch" any of these ideas and see if he bites? 

100% FINANCE:

Monthly payment-$2,994, Purchase price- $500,000, 10% down- $50,000, Owner carry- $450,000, 5 year Interest- $153,223.83, 7% Interest, 30 Year term, 5 year balloon (1-5 year extension based on market value and ability to refinance) 

50% FINANCEMonthly payment- $1,580, Carry amount- $250,000, 5% Down- $12,500, Owner carry- $237,500, 5 year interest- $80,868, 7% interest 30 year term, 5 year balloon (1-5 year extension based on market value and ability to refinance)

INTEREST ONLY: DOWN PAYMENT

Monthly payment- $500Purchase price- $100,00010% down- $10,000Owner carry- $90,0005 year Interest- $30,0005 year balloon- $90,000Total Payout-$130,000

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe VilleneuvePro Member
Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
3y

First, never wait for the seller to tell you what they want.  You make the first move based on what works for you.

Second, never give the seller option.  Make only one offer.  By giving the seller multiple options, you're giving the seller the open window to take pieces of each offer, and frame them into a counter offer that you'll never accept.  It's an open invitation for a bad negotiation.  Make one offer.  If the seller counters, then you counter back.  You know what you're options are, but the seller doesn't need to.  They'll just take the best (for them) pieces of each, and turn them into a bad deal for you.

I like  your first option the best (100% financed), except the balloon shouldn't be less than 10 years, and you shouldn't be giving them full price.  The shorter the balloon, the lower the interest rate...and the price.  Remember this, the interest is added profit to the seller.  When you give them 100% of the asking price, and add the interest to it, they are getting a lot more than what they are asking for.  In your example, they would be getting almost $600k for the property.  Along with that is the added tax benefits they get from not getting all their money in one lump sum.

The second option of 50% financed is a terrible option.  The goal is the lowest DP possible here.  50% financed means you are paying a 50% DP.  Ouch!!!

Keep in mind, this property is worthless to you until it is usable.  That means added cost and time from both rehab cost and monthly payments to the seller.  I would start by subtracting the cost of the rehab from your purchase price, then go with interest only payments for as long as you think you need to go until the property is usable.  Then sell it.

Actually, buy it using an LLC as the buyer, then when you sell it, don't sell the property...sell the LLC. Way too many advantages to list here and explain doing it this way.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y

    First, never wait for the seller to tell you what they want.  You make the first move based on what works for you.

    Second, never give the seller option.  Make only one offer.  By giving the seller multiple options, you're giving the seller the open window to take pieces of each offer, and frame them into a counter offer that you'll never accept.  It's an open invitation for a bad negotiation.  Make one offer.  If the seller counters, then you counter back.  You know what you're options are, but the seller doesn't need to.  They'll just take the best (for them) pieces of each, and turn them into a bad deal for you.

    I like  your first option the best (100% financed), except the balloon shouldn't be less than 10 years, and you shouldn't be giving them full price.  The shorter the balloon, the lower the interest rate...and the price.  Remember this, the interest is added profit to the seller.  When you give them 100% of the asking price, and add the interest to it, they are getting a lot more than what they are asking for.  In your example, they would be getting almost $600k for the property.  Along with that is the added tax benefits they get from not getting all their money in one lump sum.

    The second option of 50% financed is a terrible option.  The goal is the lowest DP possible here.  50% financed means you are paying a 50% DP.  Ouch!!!

    Keep in mind, this property is worthless to you until it is usable.  That means added cost and time from both rehab cost and monthly payments to the seller.  I would start by subtracting the cost of the rehab from your purchase price, then go with interest only payments for as long as you think you need to go until the property is usable.  Then sell it.

    Actually, buy it using an LLC as the buyer, then when you sell it, don't sell the property...sell the LLC. Way too many advantages to list here and explain doing it this way.

  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    Thanks Joe, I agree i am only going to present 1 offer but am looking for the best one to send to start the conversation. The owner is 67 and retired. Im not sure about health or any burdens he has at the moment but to make the deal more suitable for him i put the 5 year balloon so he is not waiting until he is 77 to get his 500k.

    He isn't selling on owner finance it was just something he was interested in listening to because i brought it up, so again i'm trying to structure the deal to best suit him and entice him to do it rather than accept a low ball cash offer which i don't have right now. I WANT him to see that he is making 153k in interest in the 5 years ( i would be paying more than this if i were to use a HML or PML). This will be my first "investment" deal and i'm pretty sure i can not use FHA or a conventional loan for this purchase. I do have collateral but will be posting in a separate section looking for $$$ if he decided he doesn't want to do any owner finance.

    I will definitely be using a LLC for my purchase thank you for this information.

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Chance Humphrey:

    Thanks Joe, I agree i am only going to present 1 offer but am looking for the best one to send to start the conversation. The owner is 67 and retired. Im not sure about health or any burdens he has at the moment but to make the deal more suitable for him i put the 5 year balloon so he is not waiting until he is 77 to get his 500k.

    He isn't selling on owner finance it was just something he was interested in listening to because i brought it up, so again i'm trying to structure the deal to best suit him and entice him to do it rather than accept a low ball cash offer which i don't have right now. I WANT him to see that he is making 153k in interest in the 5 years ( i would be paying more than this if i were to use a HML or PML). This will be my first "investment" deal and i'm pretty sure i can not use FHA or a conventional loan for this purchase. I do have collateral but will be posting in a separate section looking for $$$ if he decided he doesn't want to do any owner finance.

    I will definitely be using a LLC for my purchase thank you for this information.

    Even if you had the cash to do an all cash offer, I don't care how much lower the purchase price was, it's foolish.  Your cost is ONLY the cash you put in.  The lower the DP, the lower the cost to you.
    Also, never make offers based on what the seller wants, or based on what it takes to get the property.  You don't want the property, you want to deal.  Make offers based on what you need to make it work out financially for you NOW,...not eventually. 
  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    ok so i just sent my offer over, im really hoping i don't offend and get an actual counter offer and not just a "get lost"

    I offered $455,000, 10k down, no payments for 3 months, monthly payment of $2,388 and a 10 year balloon, this is basically 5% down and 5% interest. now just waiting to hear back from seller.

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Chance Humphrey:

    ok so i just sent my offer over, im really hoping i don't offend and get an actual counter offer and not just a "get lost"

    I offered $455,000, 10k down, no payments for 3 months, monthly payment of $2,388 and a 10 year balloon, this is basically 5% down and 5% interest. now just waiting to hear back from seller.

    What were those numbers based on?  In other words, how did you arrive at those humbers?
  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    Mostly yours and others recommendations. I need to keep the monthly payment under $2500

  • Jesse ThomasPro Member
    Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    Hi Chance,

    Just popped in here to look at seller finance strategy, and read through your proposal. I'm about to make my first SF offer, and I appreciate your post here, thank you!

    It says here that you made the offer about a month ago, and I'm curious to know how it went! 

  • Administrative Assistant · Rex, GA · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    Did the seller reply? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.