Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Creative Real Estate Financing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Tina Chau
Votes |
How do I find out if a property has a mortgage on it?

Tina Chau
Posted Aug 26 2022, 18:43

Hi, does anyone know how I can find out if a property has a mortgage on it and how much that mortgage is?  Is there a website I can go on to get that information?  Is it public record?  Thanks!  The property is in pinellas county (clearwater)  

User Stats

Votes
Stephan K.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Clearwater, FL
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Clearwater, FL
Replied Aug 26 2022, 19:07

Look it up here:

https://officialrecords.mypine...

Let me know if you need help. 

User Stats

Votes
Sergey A. Petrov
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Aug 26 2022, 19:09

Pay a title company for a title report. If you asking whether or not a property has a mortgage, the chances are you should think beyond just a mortgage…

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 27 2022, 13:16

The county court of clerks website will tell you if they have a recorded mortgage.   It will say how much of a mortgage they obtained but not the current balance.   You can play around with an amorization table and make an educated guess based on the info found on public record.

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Drury
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Replied Aug 27 2022, 13:27

@Tina Chau
Google the county recorder's office for where you live and it will have that info.

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Stern
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Aug 28 2022, 20:25

@Tina Chau Hey Tina, mortgages are recorded and public record most of the time, you can access this info at the county clerk website where you can sort by document type (mortgage) and see the amount taken out. You can also use platforms like batchleads where you can simply search the property and it will show details like remaining mortgage balance. Hope that helps!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Mason
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • California
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • California
ModeratorReplied Aug 29 2022, 10:51
Quote from @Tina Chau:

Hi, does anyone know how I can find out if a property has a mortgage on it and how much that mortgage is?  Is there a website I can go on to get that information?  Is it public record?  Thanks!  The property is in pinellas county (clearwater)  

The folks above are correct that you can check out the county recorder's office / public records, which may entail having to go down there in person during gov't work hours.

You can also ask your realtor or loan officer, who may be more available, and can send it to you via email. 

You can also pay a title company for the same report -- they give loan officers and realtors free access. 

This will not tell you the current balance, however. It'll tell you a $500k conventional mortgage was recorded in July 2021, you can infer from the ownership record that it was a refi (same owner before/after), and you can ballpark that rates were around 3%, assume it's a 30YF, so the balance "should" be X, but you have no way to know if they made a large lump sum payment, pay extra each month, etc. 

You can also infer other things. For example if someone has owned a house for 5 years, but did NOT refinance in 2020/2021, they left thousands of dollars per year on the kitchen table, which most people will not voluntarily do if they have another choice. So maybe they didn't have another choice, maybe they had lost their job and couldn't refinance. Which in turn could give you insight into their financial position. If they took forbearance (which you can only speculate on) and didn't make a payment for 12 months, their current balance would likely be higher than what the guess from the above paragraph would indicate. 

Ultimately it's all guesses, and if they have a listing agent, being able to use this will be limited, part of the whole point of having representation is to blunt such efforts. 

The "you should refi!" junk mail, from random companies, with spookily accurate details on your current mortgage? This is where that comes from. 

CommLoan Logo

User Stats

Votes
Tom Gimer
Pro Member
  • DMV
Votes |
Pro Member
  • DMV
Replied Aug 29 2022, 16:41

@Chris Mason Try estimating payoffs on mortgages originated in 2006 on properties in foreclosure now! 

User Stats

Votes
Tom Gimer
Pro Member
  • DMV
Votes |
Pro Member
  • DMV
Replied Aug 29 2022, 19:50

For context — anybody who works in foreclosures — many sales are on HOA or COA liens. The older the mortgage the less certain you can be of the balance you'll inherit. You can be WAY OFF with older liens … think neg am and some lienholders are just bad at protecting their interests.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 24 2024, 14:48
Quote from @Sergey A. Petrov:

Pay a title company for a title report. If you asking whether or not a property has a mortgage, the chances are you should think beyond just a mortgage…

User Stats

Votes
Sandeep Dhall
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Pleasanton, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Pleasanton, CA
Replied Feb 25 2024, 21:02

I use Propstream to get that information

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 11 2024, 14:39

Sandeep Dhall, how accurate and up to date is Propstream when someone is looking for mortgage information?