Hard Money Lending - Newbie

Hard Money Lending - Newbie

Investor · Maumee, OH · Member since 2017 · 43 posts · 30 votes

Hi BP, 

I am interested in learning more about getting into the hard money business. Let me explain my current situation and any comments or feedback would be much appreciated. 

Currently I own 8 rental units in Northwest Ohio and in Greenville South Carolina. I feel I am really starting to build a good team around me and I want to start doing more flips & BRRRRs, and potentially hard money lending as I mentioned. 

I have a family member who is a high net worth individual who made me an awesome business starting offer. Basically, through his financial advisor, he can set up a private $1.5 million line of credit at about 2% (LIBOR), and he said said we could set up a structure where I could have access to this credit line for a 5% markup interest rate. So if LIBOR stays at 2%, I would pay him 7% annually on the amount I have drawn. This seems like an awesome structure for flips and BRRRs since 7% is much more favorable (I think) then what I would get from a hard money lender myself. 

So then that got me thinking: would this give me any potential to give hard money loans? If I could do it at 12% or higher, I would make the 5% spread plus the points. For example, if an investor needed $300k for 6 months for a project and I could finance that at 12%, I would essentially make 5% interest, or about $7,500 plus points for what would be pretty passive on my end. 

I know if I were to entertain this I would have to spend some time sitting down with my attorney to set things up....so I am not asking for legal advice. Just looking for general advice on what I may be missing here. Thanks for anyone who would take the time to offer me some feedback. Always open to honestly if someone thinks this would not be a smart move. 

3Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Consultant · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 206 posts · 944 votes
6y

@Trevor Dominique


I'm going to give you an answer that will be tough to hear and competently against what everyone has been telling you.

Renting homes or apartments is one of the highest risk investments you can get into and doing a cash-out refinance is even higher risk.

Let me explain. In Las Vegas, in 2006 a home could be purchased for $150,000.00. You could rent it for $1300.00 and after taxes and insurance, you would cash flow at over $150.00 per month. Then came the great recession. Prices on that home fell back to $50k. That home could be rented for $600 a month.

So let's look at the dynamics of a falling market. If I came to you and said, “I have a business that's worth $150,000.00. It will make you $150 a month. In two years the markets will fall and it will be worth $50,000.00.” Would you buy my business? You would say to me, “No! Do you think I’m crazy?”

You see in real estate for some reason we seem to think that we can deny all business fundamentals and that somehow, our situation is different. I have heard everything from, “You don't take a loss until you sell." to "It will rent during a down cycle." Most people who hear me say this still believe in defying the odds. They think of all types of arguments to try to prove my business sense is wrong.

Here is an actual example shared with me that happened at the start of the Covid-19 crisis. As you read this, keep in mind that this happened in one of the market segments that people would have said is the most recession-proof.

There was an investor in Texas that owned a 30 unit complex. COVID-19 hit and they stopped all foreclosures and evictions. All the tenants got together and decided to not pay rent. Now, whoever owned that building and had the loan on it just got trashed by his tenants. He and his family's financial lives have been turned upside down. He cannot even get to a judge until June, and then the courts will be so backed up, it could take months to get his tenants evicted.

Also, my local news reported that 1 in 5 market-rate apartments are missing rents right now, and nationally it's 1 in 3. The real issue is clear. You can buy and rent when a market is headed up a bit, just like a business or a stock that you sell before a market starts to fall.

Buy and hold investing is a term that does not make good business sense. There are much better strategies to do in real estate when a market could potentially fall or is falling.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Trevor Dominique:

    Hi BP, 

    I am interested in learning more about getting into the hard money business. Let me explain my current situation and any comments or feedback would be much appreciated. 

    Currently I own 8 rental units in Northwest Ohio and in Greenville South Carolina. I feel I am really starting to build a good team around me and I want to start doing more flips & BRRRRs, and potentially hard money lending as I mentioned. 

    I have a family member who is a high net worth individual who made me an awesome business starting offer. Basically, through his financial advisor, he can set up a private $1.5 million line of credit at about 2% (LIBOR), and he said said we could set up a structure where I could have access to this credit line for a 5% markup interest rate. So if LIBOR stays at 2%, I would pay him 7% annually on the amount I have drawn. This seems like an awesome structure for flips and BRRRs since 7% is much more favorable (I think) then what I would get from a hard money lender myself. 

    So then that got me thinking: would this give me any potential to give hard money loans? If I could do it at 12% or higher, I would make the 5% spread plus the points. For example, if an investor needed $300k for 6 months for a project and I could finance that at 12%, I would essentially make 5% interest, or about $7,500 plus points for what would be pretty passive on my end. 

    I know if I were to entertain this I would have to spend some time sitting down with my attorney to set things up....so I am not asking for legal advice. Just looking for general advice on what I may be missing here. Thanks for anyone who would take the time to offer me some feedback. Always open to honestly if someone thinks this would not be a smart move. 

    You will have to make sure the properties you are lending on are solid options. A 5% return does not seem good enough to compensate for the risk you are taking

  • Real Estate Consultant · Wittenberg, WI · Member since 2014 · 572 posts · 572 votes
    6y

    That is a typical arbitrage business model that works well. You definitely need to figure out how to protect your money source and yourself. We use a combination of collateral assignments and a servicing agreement. It's absolutely lucrative if done correctly.

  • Troy GandeeBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Charleston, SC · Member since 2013 · 794 posts · 454 votes
    6y

    @Trevor Dominique I think that sounds like a pretty good situation for lending. This is similar to how some of the huge lenders do it. They usually have one or more indiduals with large LOCs at a lower rate and then lend it out at a higher rate. The boots on the ground (originator, processors, etc) usually get to pocket some of the points for their operation, but the funding usually comes from an outside source. I have a good friend in Charleston who lends a lot. She and some other friends have just recently started up a lending institution similar to what you're doing here. You should give her a call. She'd be happy to help you with some of the logistics, but it could also be much easier for both of you to partner your funds with their company. They do the heavy lifting.

  • Investor · Maumee, OH · Member since 2017 · 43 posts · 30 votes
    6y
    I agree that I would never seek 5% if it were my cash, but essentially my investment here is just my time to find the borrowers I want to work with. 

    Originally posted by @Remington Lyman:
    Originally posted by @Trevor Dominique:

    Hi BP, 

    I am interested in learning more about getting into the hard money business. Let me explain my current situation and any comments or feedback would be much appreciated. 

    Currently I own 8 rental units in Northwest Ohio and in Greenville South Carolina. I feel I am really starting to build a good team around me and I want to start doing more flips & BRRRRs, and potentially hard money lending as I mentioned. 

    I have a family member who is a high net worth individual who made me an awesome business starting offer. Basically, through his financial advisor, he can set up a private $1.5 million line of credit at about 2% (LIBOR), and he said said we could set up a structure where I could have access to this credit line for a 5% markup interest rate. So if LIBOR stays at 2%, I would pay him 7% annually on the amount I have drawn. This seems like an awesome structure for flips and BRRRs since 7% is much more favorable (I think) then what I would get from a hard money lender myself. 

    So then that got me thinking: would this give me any potential to give hard money loans? If I could do it at 12% or higher, I would make the 5% spread plus the points. For example, if an investor needed $300k for 6 months for a project and I could finance that at 12%, I would essentially make 5% interest, or about $7,500 plus points for what would be pretty passive on my end. 

    I know if I were to entertain this I would have to spend some time sitting down with my attorney to set things up....so I am not asking for legal advice. Just looking for general advice on what I may be missing here. Thanks for anyone who would take the time to offer me some feedback. Always open to honestly if someone thinks this would not be a smart move. 

    You will have to make sure the properties you are lending on are solid options. A 5% return does not seem good enough to compensate for the risk you are taking

  • Rental Property Investor · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2018 · 53 posts · 34 votes
    6y

    @Trevor Dominique Another thing to consider is that you could do a 12% flat interest rate (seems to be standard for HMLs) That way if you are paying 7% annualized on the money in theory you could do two deals with that money over a year spread. This would mean that you would make 12% per deal per 6 month term. Do the math and that is 24% annualized per deal and 48% annualized for both and you are using the same line of credit. So instead of a 5% spread you would make a much larger spread assuming you assigned only a 6 month term loan. 

  • Investor · Marin County California · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Make sure your source is OK with this use of his or her money.  It may be the case that he or she is counting on your integrity and abilities in making this loan not on those of your borrowers.  No faster way to lose a very beneficial relationship than to betray a person's trust in you. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 206 posts · 944 votes
    6y

    @Trevor Dominique


    I'm going to give you an answer that will be tough to hear and competently against what everyone has been telling you.

    Renting homes or apartments is one of the highest risk investments you can get into and doing a cash-out refinance is even higher risk.

    Let me explain. In Las Vegas, in 2006 a home could be purchased for $150,000.00. You could rent it for $1300.00 and after taxes and insurance, you would cash flow at over $150.00 per month. Then came the great recession. Prices on that home fell back to $50k. That home could be rented for $600 a month.

    So let's look at the dynamics of a falling market. If I came to you and said, “I have a business that's worth $150,000.00. It will make you $150 a month. In two years the markets will fall and it will be worth $50,000.00.” Would you buy my business? You would say to me, “No! Do you think I’m crazy?”

    You see in real estate for some reason we seem to think that we can deny all business fundamentals and that somehow, our situation is different. I have heard everything from, “You don't take a loss until you sell." to "It will rent during a down cycle." Most people who hear me say this still believe in defying the odds. They think of all types of arguments to try to prove my business sense is wrong.

    Here is an actual example shared with me that happened at the start of the Covid-19 crisis. As you read this, keep in mind that this happened in one of the market segments that people would have said is the most recession-proof.

    There was an investor in Texas that owned a 30 unit complex. COVID-19 hit and they stopped all foreclosures and evictions. All the tenants got together and decided to not pay rent. Now, whoever owned that building and had the loan on it just got trashed by his tenants. He and his family's financial lives have been turned upside down. He cannot even get to a judge until June, and then the courts will be so backed up, it could take months to get his tenants evicted.

    Also, my local news reported that 1 in 5 market-rate apartments are missing rents right now, and nationally it's 1 in 3. The real issue is clear. You can buy and rent when a market is headed up a bit, just like a business or a stock that you sell before a market starts to fall.

    Buy and hold investing is a term that does not make good business sense. There are much better strategies to do in real estate when a market could potentially fall or is falling.

  • Investor · Maumee, OH · Member since 2017 · 43 posts · 30 votes
    6y
    Some reasons I respectfully disagree with this logic: 

    1. Vegas example: Any market driven by tourism is obviously going to have bigger peaks and troughs when things go wrong. Just like an short term rental investor, you have to prepare for this is you are going to invest in a market like this. Additionally, the "booms" will be stronger than in a non-tourism driven market, which will partially compensate for the busts. Cash reserves more important here. 

    2. Your argument about a falling market is flawed. Obviously if we could all predict the future we would wait to buy until the market bottoms. Intelligent investors, whether stocks, real estate, or some other vehicle are fully aware that it is impossible to predict market behavior. Investing in assets that are PROVEN to increase in value over time will pay off greatly long term. Compound interest is always your friend.

    3. You act like saying "You don't take a loss until you sell" is unsound logic. For those who pulled out of the market in 2009, how do you think they felt about their decision in 2014? Return on investment is a function of risk, and we all know this, so why not prepare for the down market rather than fear it?

    4. Your Texas example is indeed a horror story, but it is also a good example on why diversification is so important. Just like I shouldn't invest my entire 401(k) in Amazon stock, I should not invest my entire real estate portfolio in one property. But once again, you are citing a 1 in a million example. If I cite an example about how someone became rich buying Bitcoin, is that an argument that Bitcoin is a sound investment? Absolutely not. 

    5. Your next argument implies that during the height of COVID an average investor is collecting around 70% of rents. If I apply this to myself, this would make my business turn from being cash flow positive to about flat. Once again, cash reserves become important to whether the downturns that happen EVERY 5-20 years. 

    Long story short, I am going to keep buying rental properties :)

    Originally posted by @David Ginn:

    @Trevor Dominique


    I'm going to give you an answer that will be tough to hear and competently against what everyone has been telling you.

    Renting homes or apartments is one of the highest risk investments you can get into and doing a cash-out refinance is even higher risk.

    Let me explain. In Las Vegas, in 2006 a home could be purchased for $150,000.00. You could rent it for $1300.00 and after taxes and insurance, you would cash flow at over $150.00 per month. Then came the great recession. Prices on that home fell back to $50k. That home could be rented for $600 a month.

    So let's look at the dynamics of a falling market. If I came to you and said, “I have a business that's worth $150,000.00. It will make you $150 a month. In two years the markets will fall and it will be worth $50,000.00.” Would you buy my business? You would say to me, “No! Do you think I’m crazy?”

    You see in real estate for some reason we seem to think that we can deny all business fundamentals and that somehow, our situation is different. I have heard everything from, “You don't take a loss until you sell." to "It will rent during a down cycle." Most people who hear me say this still believe in defying the odds. They think of all types of arguments to try to prove my business sense is wrong.

    Here is an actual example shared with me that happened at the start of the Covid-19 crisis. As you read this, keep in mind that this happened in one of the market segments that people would have said is the most recession-proof.

    There was an investor in Texas that owned a 30 unit complex. COVID-19 hit and they stopped all foreclosures and evictions. All the tenants got together and decided to not pay rent. Now, whoever owned that building and had the loan on it just got trashed by his tenants. He and his family's financial lives have been turned upside down. He cannot even get to a judge until June, and then the courts will be so backed up, it could take months to get his tenants evicted.

    Also, my local news reported that 1 in 5 market-rate apartments are missing rents right now, and nationally it's 1 in 3. The real issue is clear. You can buy and rent when a market is headed up a bit, just like a business or a stock that you sell before a market starts to fall.

    Buy and hold investing is a term that does not make good business sense. There are much better strategies to do in real estate when a market could potentially fall or is falling.

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 344 posts · 258 votes
    6y

    I definitely think that is a feasible plan. However, like @Remington Lyman said, you'd really want to make sure these are good deals, as 5% may not be worth the risk. If lending these funds would be in lieu of you doing your own projects, you'd probably get better returns just using it yourself. Also, as @Darius Ogloza pointed out, you'd want to make sure your source lender is okay with the idea. Especially since they are family! 

    Either way, seems like you have a promising opportunity. Good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.