Fourplex FHA finance as a non occupant owner

Fourplex FHA finance as a non occupant owner

Real Estate Agent · Sisters, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

I have a buddy who is looking to by an fourplex with an FHA loan I would be his realtor which is awesome.

His mortgage guy told him that I could by this place with him on an FHA loan. I would have to apply for the loan with him but we would still only need to come up with 3.5% for the down payment. He would be required to live there for 1 year. I wouldn't have to live there at all and still only have to pay this small downpayment.

My question is is this correct?  It seems to good to be true.  Is there any kind of catch?  I know my friend is planning on living there but what if he moved out would I then need to move in?  Any information you guys know about this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris MasonPro Member
Moderator
Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
8y
Originally posted by @Eric Bilderback:

I have a buddy who is looking to by an fourplex with an FHA loan I would be his realtor which is awesome.

His mortgage guy told him that I could by this place with him on an FHA loan. I would have to apply for the loan with him but we would still only need to come up with 3.5% for the down payment. He would be required to live there for 1 year. I wouldn't have to live there at all and still only have to pay this small downpayment.

My question is is this correct?  It seems to good to be true.  Is there any kind of catch?  I know my friend is planning on living there but what if he moved out would I then need to move in?  Any information you guys know about this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

FHA guidelines are a PITA to look up so I can't remember which number it is, but at the last minute the underwriter doing her final checks is going to call for 20% or 25% down in the scenario you just highlighted, assuming there is no fraud afoot.

This is not a good tree for you to be barking up.

Non-family non-occ coborrower + FHA + 3.5% down + 2-4 units = not a thing.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    I do not believe that this is correct.  What they may be referring to is that you could gift your friend the down payment, but I believe that if you were on the loan you would have to live there too otherwise it would be mortgage fraud.

  • Dave Van HornPro Member
    Fund Manager · Wayne, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    That's possible, I was on my sister-in-laws' FHA. The only issue you could run into is if you already have an FHA Loan in your name. I only was able to get around that because we were related (also keep in mind this was more than 20 years ago).

    And speaking from experience, my sister-in-law actually moved out of the property, and I didn't have to move in. So I don't think that's the case here.

  • Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 20 votes
    8y

    Yes, you can have a non-occupant co-borrower.  All the scenarios I've heard of this have been with family (example being parents) as the co-borrower so not sure if it changes anything or there are other stipulations with you being non related.

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Eric Bilderback:

    I have a buddy who is looking to by an fourplex with an FHA loan I would be his realtor which is awesome.

    His mortgage guy told him that I could by this place with him on an FHA loan. I would have to apply for the loan with him but we would still only need to come up with 3.5% for the down payment. He would be required to live there for 1 year. I wouldn't have to live there at all and still only have to pay this small downpayment.

    My question is is this correct?  It seems to good to be true.  Is there any kind of catch?  I know my friend is planning on living there but what if he moved out would I then need to move in?  Any information you guys know about this would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    FHA guidelines are a PITA to look up so I can't remember which number it is, but at the last minute the underwriter doing her final checks is going to call for 20% or 25% down in the scenario you just highlighted, assuming there is no fraud afoot.

    This is not a good tree for you to be barking up.

    Non-family non-occ coborrower + FHA + 3.5% down + 2-4 units = not a thing.

  • Real Estate Agent · Sisters, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Chris Mason

    Not trying to gift anything to him he is a friend not a kid and I am not trying to lie on our underwriting I was told that this is legitimate.  But your saying no way 100% this does not exist?  This guy is saying I can actually own half the place with my friend who is moving in with this tiny downpayment.  But you know this is can’t happen?

    Thanks for clearing this up, it would be a set deal if you could do this.

  • Real Estate Agent · Sisters, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Thank you.  That was very valuable info for me.

  • Lender · San Jose, CA · Member since 2014 · 122 posts · 27 votes
    8y

    If you're the Realtor and you're also the buyer, you may need to worry about a non-arms length transaction.  I believe that you need at least a 15% down payment if that is the case.  Don't quote me on that as I haven't looked up the guideline in a long time. :)  Just be aware. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.