About to Retire and Wondering about existing Commercial Loans

About to Retire and Wondering about existing Commercial Loans

Investor · Ballwin, MO · Member since 2015 · 111 posts · 83 votes

I have done pretty well with my investment portfolio so far. Over the past couple of years I have pulled together 15 units I own by myself in my company name (duplexes, triplex, and 4 plex) and I have another 10 units I own with a partner in another company (duplexes and SFR's).

Here's my question. Of the properties I own myself, one is on a 30 year fixed mortgage (I bought it in my personal name and moved it to my company once I formed it). I'm not really worried about this one during retirement, but the rest are all commercial loans with 20 year amortizations with 5 year balloon payments. I'm in a position to retire early from my W2 job but I'm worried what will happen in a couple of years when the balloon payments come up if I don't have that W2 income to show.

I have a little over 2 million in stocks, bonds, savings, etc but I don't want to have to pull from any of that to pay the properties off. My preference would be to continue with the 20 year amortization and just pick up another 5 year balloon (and keep doing that until they are paid off).

Does anyone have experience with how banks look at a property (or investor) in my situation? Remember, these are all 2 to 4 unit properties so I don't think they will be treated like commercial real estate even though I have commercial loans on them. Will the bank look at the fact that the payments have always been on time and that the properties all have had positive cash flow over the life of the 5 year balloon, or are they going to see that I have no active (W2) income and possibly not give me the next 5 year balloon.

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
8y

@Mackal Smith  I retired when I had 3 in my name and 10 commercial loans, before I quit my job I asked my commercial bank if that would be a problem moving forward, they said no.  I did another 8 commercial loans that first year.  

There are a lot of personal factors, so just ask your bank 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    8y

    @Mackal Smith  I retired when I had 3 in my name and 10 commercial loans, before I quit my job I asked my commercial bank if that would be a problem moving forward, they said no.  I did another 8 commercial loans that first year.  

    There are a lot of personal factors, so just ask your bank 

  • Wilmington, NC · Member since 2017 · 132 posts · 70 votes
    8y

    Lenders will look at documented income on tax returns. As long as you can show a decent DTI and there's adequate collateral, it shouldn't matter.

  • Investor · Ballwin, MO · Member since 2015 · 111 posts · 83 votes
    8y

    Thanks for the replies @Brie Schmidt & @Ken Jernigan. Ken, the DTI is the thing that has me worried. I'm really lucky right now in that my W2 income is a little over $175K/year. Since it will be 12 years until I can take Social Security. That will more than likely fall to something like $50K/year with the rentals, stock dividends, and bond income when I do retire.

    Even though the rentals actually bring in enough to cover all expenses and debt service and still give me around $15K to $20K/year, with depreciation etc (all the good things I love about REI) the taxes actually show very little (if any) income from them.

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2017 · 231 posts · 191 votes
    8y

    Hi @Mackal Smith

    It sounds like you have a "good problem".  I will address your concerns to the extent that I can without knowing the specific details of your personal financial condition and that of your portfolio.  

    ***As @Brie Schmidt mentioned, please confer with your relevant professionals.  None of this should be considered financial/legal advice.***

    In general, lenders do value your consistent repayment history.  None more so than the lender to which you've made those timely payments.  Speaking to the commercial loans, the main focus of your company's ability to repay the loan is on the cash flow of the business.  Because of this, your primary contribution to this loan is your ability to MANAGE and extract cash flow from your properties (primary source of loan repayment), NOT your personal assets (secondary source).  Your personal financial strength is considered to be a secondary source of repayment and comes into play in the event that the properties can't repay the loans themselves.  

    As you know, past results are not directly indicative of future success. The market/rate environment may be different when your 5-year period is up for reconsideration.  This is one reason why lenders do not commit to the entire 20 years up front.  

    A lack of W2 income will raise flags if that income was relied upon as a key support of the loan approval.   This could be because the lender did not have complete confidence in the ability of your business to repay the loan through the properties (i.e. short/no business history, inexperience of the business manager, foreseeable market challenges, etc.).  

    From what I can gather from your post:

    • You have a portfolio of cash flowing properties
    • You have a history of successfully acquiring and managing them
    • You have personal assets to support loan payments in case something goes awry

    These are all supportive aspects of your loan.  

    Having a dialogue with your lender(s) will be important as they will know how their institutions look at profiles like yours and can recommend steps to be taken to make your position stronger in their eyes, if necessary.  

    Best of luck!  Keep us updated on how it goes!

    ***Note again, please confer with your relevant professionals. None of this should be considered financial/legal advice.***

  • Wilmington, NC · Member since 2017 · 132 posts · 70 votes
    8y

    Lenders know to add back depreciation and any other non cash charges when calculating the DTI. Last bank I worked for used 40%. Underwriting these days is pretty much by the formula, so I wouldn't count on "feel good" factors like on time payment. That's reflected in your credit report anyway. Still, sounds like you shouldn't have too much trouble re-fiing the balloons if you have decent equity in the property.

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    8y

    Commercial lenders do not use DTI - they use DSCR - So I would check your taxes and how you are reporting and make sure the properties are at 1.2 DSCR

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.