Private Lenders in New Jersey

Private Lenders in New Jersey

Investor · Hammonton, NJ · Member since 2015 · 58 posts · 17 votes

Hello, 

I currently have a portfolio of 7 properties (mixed SFHs, duplex, triplex, quad), owned free and clear, each held by separate LLCs (formed Jan 2016).  The problem I am running into is that most of the traditional banks will not accept rental income from these properties until I have 2 full years of tax returns for them. As an aside, my previous employer switched me from salary to K1 when I became Partner, and the banks also require the 2 most recent years of pay stubs be W2 or K1, but won't accept a combination of both. So this leaves me in a weird situation where there is income coming in, but traditional banks won't accept it. Therefore I'm left seeking a private money lender, preferably located in South Jersey where I do my investing. 

Does anyone have any recommendations (especially, experience) with private money lenders in New Jersey and can refer me to some who have reasonable rates? I'm looking for lenders who will do minimum 10 year mortgages, as I am a buy-and-hold investor and don't want to have to plan to refinance through a traditional bank a couple years in. 

Any referrals would be appreciated. If you are a private money lender, located in South Jersey, I'd appreciate if you have references.  

0Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Palm Harbor, FL · Member since 2015 · 307 posts · 96 votes
10y

Sounds like you might simply be speaking with the wrong banks. I've have much better luck with the smaller banks that have a portfolio loan they hold. Try Boiling Springs, First Hope Bank, Investors Bank, and Lakeland Bank. You may need to use a commercial loan take may adjust after 5-7 years but they should be able to put more weight on the property's financials and accept your income.

Adam

See this reply in the discussion

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · Atlanta GA · Member since 2015 · 615 posts · 225 votes
    10y

    @Richard S., hard money guys will not do this type of loan.  Most of them want their money back within a year or so.  Please the rates they will charge will eat up too much of your cash flow.....possibly even kill it.

    Best case scenario is you identify a traditional lender (bank, mortgage company, broker), that would do these loans for you.

    Second option would be to find private individuals that may have IRA or retirement accounts or liquidity that they are looking to invest into a real estate backed investment.

    Those are the 2 avenues I would pursue.

  • Investor · Hammonton, NJ · Member since 2015 · 58 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    Thanks Peter. I am surprised to hear that. If I had the capital to be giving out millions at 15% APR, I'd take it or 10 years or 100. Hard money rates are amazing year over year returns.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2012 · 204 posts · 109 votes
    10y

    Hey @Richard S. - this doesn't make much sense, but I can't say I'm at all surprised that lenders would take that position.

    Are you seeking to refinance your existing properties, or are you exploring your options for future acquisitions? 

  • Commercial Mortgage Underwriter / Broker · New York City, NY · Member since 2016 · 193 posts · 75 votes
    10y

    @Richard S. Are all the properties located in the same general area of NJ? You mention they are owned by separate LLCs formed in 2016. When did you actually purchase properties and how much did you pay for them? I'm a bit surprised you are having issues finding a bank to do these deals.

  • Investor · Hammonton, NJ · Member since 2015 · 58 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    @Ryan Goldfarb Yes, they're all in Hammonton, NJ.  Some were purchased in 2014/2015, and some years prior. The purchase prices vary, most are between 50K-150K purchases from the original purchasing party.  

    Yes guys, I am as EQUALLY as surprised as you are. I went through Wells Fargo first, who is my primary bank around here, then I went through a loan broker who works with a bunch of banks, and he could't get anything pushed through either. Ever since the mortgage crisis, the traditional banks seem really reluctant to give out loans around here unless they have 2 solid years of tax returns tied directly to the owner of the property. 

  • Commercial Mortgage Underwriter / Broker · New York City, NY · Member since 2016 · 193 posts · 75 votes
    10y

    @Richard S. Would you be willing to put all 7 properties under one loan? Or is it important to have individual loans so that it is easier to sell one if the opportunity presented itself? The NJ banks I deal with do not have issues with 2 years of tax returns or the W2 to K1 transition. They do have an issue with seasoning where they will not cash you out on properties you have owned less than 2 years. Was the broker going to commercial banks or looking were they shopping residential deals for you? 

    On a side note, isn't Hammonton the blue berry capital of the world?

  • Investor · Hammonton, NJ · Member since 2015 · 58 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    @Eric Schleif Hammonton is, in fact, the blueberry capital of the world. We just had our annual blueberry festival this past weekend! 

    I am not interested in putting all 7 properties under one loan at this time, but I'd be willing to lump a couple together if the right deal was possible. I need to generate some capital so I can continue growing, and I feel like I shouldn't have such a hard time given that these are all owned free and clear and cash flow positive.   I believe the lender was going to traditional banks. 

    Seasoning may be an issue since they haven't been owned by the LLC (or myself personally) for 2 years. Though I really need to find a lender that will work with me on that.

  • Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    Hi Richard,

    Message me directly with a few of the property addresses and I may be able to help you.

    Best,

    Robert

  • Investor · Hammonton, NJ · Member since 2015 · 58 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    Okay thanks!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2012 · 204 posts · 109 votes
    10y

    @Richard S. - learn something new every day, I didn't know the blueberry capital of the world was in my home state!

    I was going to suggest going the portfolio loan route as well. A commercial loan sounds like it'd make the most sense here, but some lenders around here may balk at doing these as individual loans. 

  • Investor · Hammonton, NJ · Member since 2015 · 58 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    do you guys have a recommendation for a portfolio loan lender?

  • George DespotopoulosBusiness Member
    Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2016 · 936 posts · 287 votes
    10y

    @Richard S.. We hear the same problem you face from other Real Estate Investors on a daily basis. You should not look at Hard Money lenders because they usually charge a 10%+ rate, 2-3 points upfront and the term of the loan is usually less than 12 months. Based on the details above, you should be able to get a longer term loan from a lender (i.e. 30 year loan).

    If you are looking for portfolio lenders, you should look into Colony Capital and B2R. If you are looking for a single loan for each property you own, there are limited alternatives out there but we are diligently trying to change the landscape. 

    Some important things to ask yourself about each property before pre-qualifying for an Investment Property Loan: a) is the DSCR greater than 1.25x for each property? Private Lenders offering this loan review the actual property's rental income and not your personal income to qualify you for the loan b) How much are you looking to get a loan for? 60% LTV? 70% LTV? c) How quickly do you need to close? These lenders often close within 3 weeks but usually charge a rate that is >6.5%.

    Please reach out to me directly if you have any additional questions. 

    Thanks 

    MoFin Lending4.9152 Reviews
  • Developer · Palm Harbor, FL · Member since 2015 · 307 posts · 96 votes
    10y

    Sounds like you might simply be speaking with the wrong banks. I've have much better luck with the smaller banks that have a portfolio loan they hold. Try Boiling Springs, First Hope Bank, Investors Bank, and Lakeland Bank. You may need to use a commercial loan take may adjust after 5-7 years but they should be able to put more weight on the property's financials and accept your income.

    Adam

  • Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    Hi Richard,

    That's what we are... a nationwide portfolio lender, specializing only in this type of product - No Income Verification. It's basically fico/equity driven, so no income/employment verified whatsoever.  However, we don't lend in rural areas so that's why I inquired about the addresses to some of your rentals.  So long as there's strong sales activity in that area, then it makes for a viable loan.  We'll lend to an entity or individual, up to 10 loans (or 5MM) per borrower, and our terms are semi-permanent with 30yr amortization.  This product does exist though, so just wanted to address your inquiry with some comforting news.

    Best,

    Robert

  • Investor · Williamstown, NJ · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    @Richard S., I invest in south jersey also. i wouldn't use Wells Fargo, try a small local bank. I use first colonial bank in cherry hill. They do portfolio loans if that's what you're looking for. You could also get a line of credit on a a couple of your properties that are off to give you some cash to buy then always refinance into a long term loan after the seasoning period. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Plant City, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 379 votes
    10y

    @Richard S..  You just need to talk with more lenders.  Small banks and credit unions will be your best bet.  I will also message you a guy I have used and am currently using.  But private money can be your best bet and cheapest bet so don't give up on that.

  • Investor · Hammonton, NJ · Member since 2015 · 58 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    Thank you to everyone who has replied or messaged me privately. Please feel free to continue if you have other solutions or are new to the thread. You have all given me a lot of resources and good advice and I appreciate it! 

  • Investor · Orangeburg, NY · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    @ Richard Sayer you might want to give a call to Quicken Loans. When i was looking for lenders and i was not sure if i had enough Debt to Income ratio to be able to get a loan, i spoke to rep from quicken loans and he told me that as long as i have one year lease with my tenant, they would use 70% of that income towards my ratio even if at the time i owned that property for only 3 months. 

    All best,

    Boris

  • Investor · Hammonton, NJ · Member since 2015 · 58 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    @Boris Sabovic interesting! I will look into that as well! Thanks for sharing. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Watertown, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Richard S. Have you considered taking on a partner who has the qualifications for conventional lending? I'm in an almost identical situation as you are, so I decided to seek out people in my network who have a great DTI ratio.

    We've agreed on a 50/50 split. My partner will be the beneficiary on the loan, with me co-signing. We have also considered transferring it to an LLC, and having the LLC pay me for doing all of the leg work (finding the deals, doing the rehab, getting it rented, and managing the property). So even though I'm putting in all of the work, I benefit by getting additional income on paper for the future, and more unit(s) added to my portfolio. As they say, "It's better to have 50% of a deal than 100% of nothing".

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Central NJ · Member since 2014 · 49 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    @Richard Sayer shoot me a PM if you need help with funding I can connect you to someone who should be able to help.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.