Worth Paying 50% of Remaining Loan to Refinance to Lower Rate?

Worth Paying 50% of Remaining Loan to Refinance to Lower Rate?

Investor · Shibuya Ku, Tōkyō-to · Member since 2015 · 90 posts · 36 votes

Refinancing question for the BP community.

I currently have roughly $197k remaining on a seller finance loan for a recently purchased $300k property in Bakersfield, CA, at 5% amortized over 15 years (but I need to pay off the remaining principal balance at the 8 year mark).  I've been speaking to a local bank in the Boston area (where I'm originally from) and they've agreed to loan me $100k at 3.07% over 10 years for a refinance.

My question is, do people think it's worth a refinance to a much lower rate if I have to put down roughly $97k?  Have to consider this payment is in addition to my initial down payment when I purchased a few months back, and would eat up most of my available cash at the moment.  Pros would be higher cash flow, paying off the loan quicker, and significantly lower monthly interest payments; cons would be less capital to spend on possible future projects in the short term.  There are obviously a lot of other factors in play here, but taking the above scenario in a vacuum, and given the current market and financing options, etc., I'd be interested to hear people's opinions.

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Bronx, NY · Member since 2015 · 211 posts · 88 votes
11y

Kind of a broad brush answer but many opportunities could come up in the next 8 years. If you have cash, you can usually find a way to finance a good deal. I would stay with the current deal and look for other investment opportunities with my cash on hand.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    11y

    I would shop lenders.  Another may not have 3.75% available, but could lower your rate and free you from the balloon risk at year 8 without the huge capital requirement.

    $97k is a tough pill to swallow. It will 'swallow' a lot of reserves and investments opportunities. Definitely seek a lender with a higher LTV requirement @Account Closed!

  • Real Estate Agent · Bronx, NY · Member since 2015 · 211 posts · 88 votes
    11y

    Kind of a broad brush answer but many opportunities could come up in the next 8 years. If you have cash, you can usually find a way to finance a good deal. I would stay with the current deal and look for other investment opportunities with my cash on hand.

  • Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2015 · 191 posts · 75 votes
    11y

    Also keep in mind that with a lower interest rate being paid out if refi, then your taxed income will increase due to the lower interest deduction.  Your accountant can tell you by how much and if it's very significant for you.

  • Lender · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Only if you see no opportunity to make more than 2% return per year with the 97,000 if you keep it.  

  • Investor · Shibuya Ku, Tōkyō-to · Member since 2015 · 90 posts · 36 votes
    11y

    Thanks all for the feedback.  My goals are to build up a manageable portfolio over the next 10 years which would allow me to cash flow enough to stop working to pursue other projects and interests (startups, etc.)  So with that in mind agree that having the cash on hand is probably the better move and provides more options moving forward - I just saw the amount I could save on monthly interest payments and got excited, however you can't look at investments in just that manner.

    My situation is a bit of a unique one as I live in Japan and am speaking with local banks in the greater Boston area (where I'm from and often back to visit) for a building in California - thus the low LTV offers. Going to speak to a couple more co-op banks tomorrow and see if I can get someone to pick up the entire remaining loan amount; otherwise 5% amortized over 15 for an investment property isn't terrible financing. The place is a 6 unit and with current financing cash flowing positive when full, break even if 1 unit vacant.

  • Lender · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Much better plan!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.