Commercial loan vs residential loan for a 4plex rental property

Commercial loan vs residential loan for a 4plex rental property

Missouri City, TX · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hello, long time reader here.


My business partner and I have discussed different real estate opportunities, and we have decided to go forward with purchasing a 4plex rental property for around 100-150k.

We've spoken to a few credit unions to acquire financing for this property. From the feedback we've been getting, they are willing to structure the loan as a 5 year note with a 25-year amortization schedule and then a balloon payment in the 5th year. We would definitely prefer to have the typical 30-year (or 20 or other longer-dated term) mortgage so that we can match our rental income against our mortgage loan payments (and also not have to pay a large, out-of-pocket balloon payment at the end of the 5th year).

So my questions are:

(1) Do credit unions/banks/conventional lenders typically offer a 5 year or shorter duration loan for real estate investment properties -- or are there ones willing to do longer term?

(2) Is there anyway around this? We've considered the possibility of us living there for a little while so that we can get a residential loan, and then eventually making it a full rental property although I'm not sure about the legal or other type of consequences of that (could the bank claim that violates the terms of the loan and call the loan? ...do they even check this?)

(3) Are there any other creative financing methods for a property? Or any other solution to this issue?

Thank you in advance!

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
11y

@Hanyai Bungals You mention a partner. Residential loans need to be made to the individual, not a business. So if you are trying to by in a LLC then a commercial loan is your only option. If you want a 30 year fixed it needs to be funded off your personal income and finances and offers little protection in a partnership situation.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · WA · Member since 2013 · 38 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    You should be able to get conventional financing in the secondary market on 1-4 family properties. This of course depends on how many you already have financed. There is a limit. Others on this board are expert in that area, and I will address that.

    I can address the commercial loan. If you do have to go with a commercial note either due to your credit profile, the partnership you have (is it an LLC?), then shop for terms. What you have been quoted is typical. But look around at other local community banks, and get one that will push the term out to 10 years. The 25-year am is pretty standard as a maximum. Also, no one really pays the balloon in full. It is generally just renewed into another loan at that maturity date.

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11y

    @Hanyai Bungals You mention a partner. Residential loans need to be made to the individual, not a business. So if you are trying to by in a LLC then a commercial loan is your only option. If you want a 30 year fixed it needs to be funded off your personal income and finances and offers little protection in a partnership situation.

  • Lender · San Jose, CA · Member since 2014 · 122 posts · 27 votes
    11y

    Good questions @Hanyai Bungals .

    1).  Most lenders will lend on a four-plex with traditional underwriting.  As @Brie Schmidt 

    mentioned, you'll have to use personal income and assets to qualify.  You should be able to get a 30 yr. fixed note.  With my lenders, this is usually the only loan you can get.

    2) If you're going to live in the property, no problem.  If not, then usually the loan-to-value will be a lot lower.  In other words, you'll have to bring more cash into the deal.  If you lie in any way and you get caught, then you'll get hammered for fraud.  Personally, I don't know a lot of commercial lenders that will lend on such a small loan amount.

    3)  Not sure.  There may be several people who can help you here.

    Hope that helps.

    Jeff

  • Homeowner · Fairmont, WV · Member since 2014 · 95 posts · 19 votes
    11y

    I used a local bank in northern WV that my parents referred me to. I have 2 commercial loans with the bank now through my LLC. The mortgages are the only reasons I do business with them at this point because they don't have any branches near me that I can use for personal banking.

    The first mortgage was only for about $70k but the most recent one was last month for $200k. In both cases they allowed me to have 20 year mortgage at 4.99%. The rate on the first mortgage is good for 10 years after which it goes to the rate equal to the US 1 yr Treasury note + 2%. On the 2nd mortgage it's 4.99% for 3 years; I don't recall what it changes to after that. I only needed 20% down for the first mortgage. For the 2nd, I also had owner financing of $60k but the building I bought was only $239k. My bank still let me borrow $200k so that I'd have some cash for whatever I needed. They have told me that they may let me do 85/15 LTV but it hasn't been necessary yet.

    So I'd say shop around, especially to avoid having to roll into another note 5 years down the road, even if you didn't actually have to pay the balloon payment.

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    I am all for maxing out the conventional financing. The low interest rate with 30 year terms are AMAZING! Have you talked to a mortgage broker? Our local one is Kings Mortgage. While there fees are slightly higher than a bank. They are MUCH easier to close than a bank AND are usually more relaxed.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.