How have you used real estate to help your children?

How have you used real estate to help your children?

Owensboro, KY · Member since 2021 · 18 posts · 6 votes

One of the reasons my husband and I are looking to get into real estate is to be able to give our kids a boost in some way. We’re new, like brand new, don’t have our first property yet (aside from our home).

We have a 17 year old and 3 between 1 and 6 years old. Since we’re just starting out, I don’t know that we’ll be able to do much for the 17 year old aside rent to her at cost for some time if we have an appropriate property for it. 

I recently learned that a contractor I play ball with has helped all three of his daughters buy houses at 18-19 years old, helping them to secure a good deal on a house needing work, at a price they could afford. (I got the impression that me made the majority of payments, but not because the girls weren’t, because he was able and wanted to.) He used his business to put in about $15k of work at cost into each house. If the girls lived in the houses for at least 5 years, they were allowed to keep all the profit when they sold the house. I thought this was a pretty great plan. He’s making sure the girls are in a nice house, in a decent area. They are “stuck” there for 5 years if they want that money, not moving around with roommates or boyfriends. They are responsible for maintenance and payments, and they come away with a good profit when they decide to sale (after at least 5 years).

I know one of the strategies for benefitting your children is to buy a house to be paid off when your kid turns 18 and sell it to pay for college. That’s also not really feasible for us. 

What are some other ways you all are using your involvement in real estate to give your kids a boost?


0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
5y

@Kayla Johnson

My parents made me do a lot of apartment turnovers with them as a teen 😭

But then they paid for my undergrad. 🤷‍♂️

And although I didn’t realize it at the time I was learning how to operate a business!

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    5y

    @Kayla Johnson good on you thinking about this!

    We bought commercial apts early on. Our state has no minimum age requirements for LLC members, so my younger son has been a 2% owner since he was 6 days old. His and my other son's cash-flow goes directly into mutual funds. We receive the MF statements and talk about holdings, share price, why it changes etc when they ask.

    The other thing we did was hire them to work on properties. Whatever they put in the bank, we double and fund Roth IRAs with it. They've each had a Roth since 12 or 13. The younger one got a $30 birthday check a couple years ago. He looked at it and said "so, if I put this in the bank I can turn it into $60 in my IRA?" YES I said, beaming!

    At least hire them to help you run things.  Learning that work = money is a lifetime lesson.  It can also turn into legitimate deductible expenses for you and bonus if  you open a Roth for them as well!

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Kayla Johnson

    My parents made me do a lot of apartment turnovers with them as a teen 😭

    But then they paid for my undergrad. 🤷‍♂️

    And although I didn’t realize it at the time I was learning how to operate a business!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Denver, CO · Member since 2021 · 661 posts · 389 votes
    5y

    @Kayla Johnson  Because I had a RE license, I was able to help my daughters when they got married and purchased a house by giving them my RE commission on the house they purchased. Another way to help your kids if they go away to college is to buy a place near campus and let them rent rooms to other students. It often pays the mortgage and gives your son/daughter spending money as well. It sure beats paying room and board. You can also do a cost segregation study on the property and defer a lot of taxes. When they graduate in four or five years, you/they can either sell it or keep it as a rental. This teaches them how to be responsible by managing the property and collecting rent. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.