Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Musolino
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Clarksville, TN
Votes |
Buying a property with another individual

Anthony Musolino
  • Clarksville, TN
Posted

Hello all, I just wanted to know how many of you have invested with a friend or associate in hopes of obtaining a better quality of property. Is this something that is common practice ? If so, what are some things you can do to protect yourself in the case that the partnership goes bad ?

Does one partner go on the loan and the other partner go on the deed at closing ? I have recently been approached to partner on a deal to purchase a multifamily property. My fear is that the partnership goes bad and I’m stuck in a bad situation. Ive always been told that a buy and hold partnership is like a marriage.. everything down to the paint is a joint effort. Would you partner with someone you haven’t known for very long but together have the resources to make a good deal? All feedback is welcome. Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied

I would not partner with someone unless I knew them very well and had a solid contract. Hell, I see life-long friends rent houses together and six months later they can't stand each other!

You have to really know the character of the individual and I wouldn't take that lightly with so much money on the line.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Peter Mckernan
Agent
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Irvine, CA
Replied

@Anthony Musolino The partnership should be something that you build and buy over time (i.e. someone in your SOI, family/friend, co-worker). 

Always buy with an entity (LLC etc.), and line out all the rules, splits in cash/cashflow, profits, and work in an Operating Agreement. Also put in there how you will sell it, how will one partner get out and the other stay in etc. This needs to be lined out before. I would not go into it blind with someone you do not know. You would both want to be on the mortgage and deed.

I'm not an attorney or CPA, it would be prudent to talk with both of those professionals prior to making a full decision. 

The McKernan Group Logo
Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Musolino
  • Clarksville, TN
Votes |
  • Clarksville, TN
Replied

@Nathan G. That was my fear. I have pretty much built my portfolio alone. However, the thought of having the opportunity of purchasing a bigger property does kind of suck you in. I just have a gut feeling and alot of reservations about a joint venture with someone that I dont know too well. I hear about people partnering on deals all the time but when it comes down to it its a big responsibility. I just dont want to pay for a poor choice down the line.

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Musolino
  • Clarksville, TN
Votes |
  • Clarksville, TN
Replied

@Peter Mckernan cool, so create an operating agreement prior to any deals and make sure that we are both on the mortgage and deed. Is there a specific reason why we both have to be on the mortgage and deed ? I heard that some investors just like to be placed on the deed at closing because its less risky. Any truth to that?