Asking Seller to pay for closing cost and escrow fees?

Asking Seller to pay for closing cost and escrow fees?

Simon W.Business Member
Real Estate Consultant · Lehigh Valley PA & New York City · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 664 votes

Hi,

So I am in the middle of negotiating with the seller.

I told to listing agent that if I want to accept the seller's offer, he would have to pay for all the closing cost and escrow fees.

(I am new to this. This would be my first deal. I never bought a house.)

Did I ask the right thing? The agent responded back with

I read that buyer is usually responsible for those fees, but I know that everything in Real Estate is negotiable. And have heard stories people having the other party pay for it.

How should I respond back to that?

Thanks.

Accounting Properties LLC
View Page
CFO LLC
View Page
0Reply
85 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Hyattsville, MD · Member since 2012 · 822 posts · 441 votes
13y

Your settlement company (you have to pick one out that you like) OR your loan officer can give you a loan worksheet (loan company) or estimated HUD (settlement/ title company), which will give you a sense of what you will need to pay at closing (it includes all closing fees, transfer fees and such listed out). This sorts out how to find and estimate of what you might expect to pay. Your bid offer cant say "I want you to pay for everything," rather it must include a specific seller credit for costs incurred at closing. So if your closing costs are ~$3-6k (average financed closing cost before down payment), you can ask for seller concessions for that same amount. If you are financing your offer, you need to ask the loan officer what your maximum seller concessions that are allowed to meet your loan conditions (conventional is usually 3% of bid offer max, but cash offers you can ask for whatever you'd like (and whatever seller might accept)). Finally, with financed offers, buyer is usually not allowed to receive credit from seller for escrow items/ fees. You need to fund that yourself (insurance, taxes etc). So in sum, you need to find out your max allowed seller credits/ concessions, you need to then find out an estimate of your closing costs (not including your down payment), then even then, you might only be able to ask for 3% in seller credits for closing, which might not cover all of your closing costs. Be prepared to have to pay for those closing costs that arent covered. you'll know what to expect to pay at closing if your offer gets accepted. hope that helps!

and no, you are not usually allowed to roll escrow prepaids into the loan. They need to be funded by you so they can pay insurance, state property tax etc. Not just an IOU to them:)

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 231 votes
    13y

    The buyer in not "usually" responsible for those fees. It's just been that way recently because it's been a buyer's market. Things are change now though. When a seller has a couple offers, the buyers back of.

    In terms of who pays what, it depends on your location. In my state, the seller & buyer split the title insurance 50/50. The transfer tax (a BS tax imo) is typically paid by the borrower & is only charged if a village has a transfer tax charge.

    I could be wrong but I don't think a seller would ever pay for a buyer's property taxes. Again, in my state, property taxes are paid in arrears so the buyer gets a credit for the taxes the seller paid and then the seller will pay that amount to the county when the taxes are due (again, in my area in June & September).

    And, yes, in real estate (like anything else in life), everything is negotiable. I have heard where sellers have agreed to pay half of a buyers closing costs as well.

  • Simon W.Business Member
    OP
    Real Estate Consultant · Lehigh Valley PA & New York City · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 664 votes
    13y

    Thanks Scott W.

    The property is in PA. I found a list of closing cost and escrow fees.

    I just took a snapshot at it.

    To make it easier, which one would I (HAVE TO) pay even if I want all the Seller to pay for all the closing cost.

    I am not backing off with the seller pay for all since I know he doesn't have any other backup offers. The numbers work for this property, but I am not attached to it so I don't really care if I get it or not.

    In the event that he does accept my offer I want to make sure I know he is paying and what I am paying for those fees.

    The property tax escrow & proration should be rolled over to the mortgage, right?

    Thank you in advance!

    Accounting Properties LLC
    View Page
    CFO LLC
    View Page
  • Specialist · Victor, NY · Member since 2013 · 823 posts · 844 votes
    13y

    Simon W.,

    Two ways to go about this:

    1) you can stick with your proposal and take the seller's number but say they pay for all the closing costs as you have outlined.....often sellers like the idea of "getting their number" but they are going to scoff at paying expenses that are customarily yours...its a double edged sword. Unlikely that they would agree to the tax escrow part though.

    2) The other option would be to take their number and simply subtract the totals you come up with for closing costs to come up with the new purchase price. Your better able to build the cost of escrow into this structure.

    Obviously this is 6 of one or a half dozen of the other. It shouldn't matter to you as long as you cross the finish line at the right number. My advice would be to be cautious not to make anything more complicated than it need be. I've found the approach you tried to use (incorporating concessions) is best received by folks who are fairly seasoned. In cases, where the seller and/or their agent is used to cookie cutter deals, your better off keeping it simple. Not sure what I wrote will be all that helpful as It sounded better in my head but....... Best of Luck with it. Keep us posted.

  • Investor · Hyattsville, MD · Member since 2012 · 822 posts · 441 votes
    13y

    Your settlement company (you have to pick one out that you like) OR your loan officer can give you a loan worksheet (loan company) or estimated HUD (settlement/ title company), which will give you a sense of what you will need to pay at closing (it includes all closing fees, transfer fees and such listed out). This sorts out how to find and estimate of what you might expect to pay. Your bid offer cant say "I want you to pay for everything," rather it must include a specific seller credit for costs incurred at closing. So if your closing costs are ~$3-6k (average financed closing cost before down payment), you can ask for seller concessions for that same amount. If you are financing your offer, you need to ask the loan officer what your maximum seller concessions that are allowed to meet your loan conditions (conventional is usually 3% of bid offer max, but cash offers you can ask for whatever you'd like (and whatever seller might accept)). Finally, with financed offers, buyer is usually not allowed to receive credit from seller for escrow items/ fees. You need to fund that yourself (insurance, taxes etc). So in sum, you need to find out your max allowed seller credits/ concessions, you need to then find out an estimate of your closing costs (not including your down payment), then even then, you might only be able to ask for 3% in seller credits for closing, which might not cover all of your closing costs. Be prepared to have to pay for those closing costs that arent covered. you'll know what to expect to pay at closing if your offer gets accepted. hope that helps!

    and no, you are not usually allowed to roll escrow prepaids into the loan. They need to be funded by you so they can pay insurance, state property tax etc. Not just an IOU to them:)

  • Wholesaler · Newark, DE · Member since 2011 · 50 posts · 4 votes
    13y

    just get a set number paid back from seller. Is this an investment loan?
    if so you are limited to 2% back from seller.

    if it's conventional OO then you can get up to 6%

    every private sale I have gotten concession from sellers. I had the last seller pay the transfer tax (2%) so that maxed out the concessions.
    Another one was a OO so I was able to bump it up and get a lot more back.

    FROM MY UNDERSTANDING: realize that the seller cannot have money go back to you, meaning seller concessions can only go towards closing fees. So your mortgage company will not let seller pay for anything going into escrow.

    They can put that 2% towards any FEES. so towards title insurance, transfer tax, any other fees from the bank/state.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    13y

    As others have mentioned, the seller is limited to what they can pay. Manipulating the sale price, up or down doesn't effect costs that much as there are cash expenses and amounts financed won't help.

    This looks like an estmate by a lender, there are certainly some gig fees there, an insured closing letter is free from the title company and given to the lender, so ask what that "closing protection letter" BS is. Looks like the loan amount might be 69,500 underwriting and processing 2 points, and who gets that origination fee of only 280?

    What is a title endorsement? Who endorses title other than the notary attesting to the seller's signature?

    Your real estate taxes should be 2/3 months in escrow and 5 months for arrears, not a years worth. Depends on when you close. Unless PA has some years tax escrow requirement.

    Title insurance looks high, perhaps charging for a lenders policy and owner policy, lender's policy is usually free to lenders, if your sale price is about 76K, yes, I'm guessing based on title insurance costs and transfer tax.

    Anyway, find out who the closing company is and confirm costs charged they should tell you. I'd be loan shopping too and beating down gig fees, but it is whatever is customary there. :)

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    You could just ask the seller to pay a specific amount of the buyers closing cost: "Seller agrees to pay $1,000 of the buyers closing costs and in addition agrees to forfeit any tax prorates and/or reserves to the buyer at closing."

    You need to check out what typically is allowed with each type of financing because many times an appraiser will just deduct that from the sales price and your appraisal will come in low.

  • Real Estate Investor · chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 231 votes
    13y

    with the market coming back, and becoming a seller's market, do you think the days of the seller paying for some of the buyer's closing costs will go away? it's stupid i should have to pay for somebody's closing costs. if they can't afford, they should just have it rolled into the loan or save enough $ until they can afford it.

  • Simon W.Business Member
    OP
    Real Estate Consultant · Lehigh Valley PA & New York City · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 664 votes
    13y

    Scott, I am only doing so because of the seller's counteroffer.

    Accounting Properties LLC
    View Page
    CFO LLC
    View Page
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    The reality is that if you ask the seller to pay the cost rather then asking them to reduce the price of the purchase you are in fact paying the cost.

  • Simon W.Business Member
    OP
    Real Estate Consultant · Lehigh Valley PA & New York City · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 664 votes
    13y

    Michael, I am bit confused with your statement

    Example

    $35,000 is what I will pay and he will pay for the cost that might be $3000. I save myself $3000.

    If I ask him to reduce the price to $32,000 sure I can pay the cost.

    If it's $35,000 and I need to pay for the cost, that's a total of $38,000 that I am paying.

    He gave me the price and of course I don't want him to have the last offer. I want it to be in terms that I can work with.

    Accounting Properties LLC
    View Page
    CFO LLC
    View Page
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y

    I agree with Michael Quarles. Given that in PA you will have a transfer tax (RTT) that gets paid, it's possible to set up the purchase so that your purchase price is lower but the seller nets the same or more!

    So the typical RTT in PA is 2%. Common practice is to split RTT equally between buyer and seller.

    So in common practice, with $100K purchase amount, seller will net $99K due to seller paying $1K of the RTT. I will offer to buy from seller for $99K and I pay all RTT; so seller still nets $99K (no different than the common practice), but I pay total (purchase price plus ALL of the RTT) only $100980 (vs the common practice scenario where I would have paid $101k total). This example shows a tiny dollar amount, but if you buy in one of the locations where the RTT is 4% or 5% you can have better results.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Steve's example holds true for title costs as well as the cost is calculated on the sales price. So if you reduce the purchase price by the cost then pay them yourself youre paying less.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y

    Michael Quarles - of course you are correct. Once the purchase price is lower, title costs get lowered, and other fees / expenses based on purchase price will also be lowered. And any splits also get lowered, and by the buyer accepting to pay for all the fee rather than splitting, the net to seller can be kept the same at a lower purchase price. I kept the example above to just RTT because I could make the simple math involved work (2% is the actual RTT for most areas in PA), and hoped that the astute readers (such as yourself) would be able to take the concept and extend it ...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.