Would you owner-occupy in a high-crime area?

Would you owner-occupy in a high-crime area?

NY 路 Member since 2019 路 26 posts 路 7 votes

Hi there! My husband and I are new investors and are looking for an owner-occupied multifamily in New Jersey. This will be our first property. We've been viewing homes and putting in offers for a few months now. This past weekend we had an offer accepted on a property that we had some second thoughts about due to the neighborhood, and some issues with the house itself. Both times we visited the property, we did not feel very welcome or comfortable on the block, and a search on Trulia showed the area to be high in crime.

We were pretty conflicted when the offer came back accepted (contingent upon us using their preferred lender), and we ultimately decided to pass on the property. The more we thought about it, the more we struggled to really picture ourselves living there comfortably, especially when we considered that we're planning to start a family after we purchase this first house.

So, what are your thoughts on owner-occupying in this scenario? Would you have bought the house, or let it go? What factors would go into your decision?

1Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor 路 Virginia Beach, VA (Virginia Beach) 路 Member since 2019 路 173 posts 路 129 votes
6y

For me personally I would pass just as you did whether I was planning to owner occupy or not, i tend to avoid high crime areas for a multitude of reasons, primarily they present occupancy challenges.

I will say that prior to submitting an offer i would research the area you are shopping in and have that information going in.  The more you know ahead of time the more informed of an offer you can then submit.

I approach every building from the same lens, i ask my self "Would i move into this building with Jen (my wife)?  If the answer is no and its a problem i can not rectify (such as high crime) i move on its that simple. I do not want to rent a unit that i would not feel comfortable and or safe living in.  There are 1000 different things involved but that is my first litmus test when scoping out a new area in a market everything else comes next to that.

Have patience and the deal will come!

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor 路 Virginia Beach, VA (Virginia Beach) 路 Member since 2019 路 173 posts 路 129 votes
    6y

    For me personally I would pass just as you did whether I was planning to owner occupy or not, i tend to avoid high crime areas for a multitude of reasons, primarily they present occupancy challenges.

    I will say that prior to submitting an offer i would research the area you are shopping in and have that information going in.  The more you know ahead of time the more informed of an offer you can then submit.

    I approach every building from the same lens, i ask my self "Would i move into this building with Jen (my wife)?  If the answer is no and its a problem i can not rectify (such as high crime) i move on its that simple. I do not want to rent a unit that i would not feel comfortable and or safe living in.  There are 1000 different things involved but that is my first litmus test when scoping out a new area in a market everything else comes next to that.

    Have patience and the deal will come!

  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant 路 Madison, NJ 路 Member since 2016 路 6k+ posts 路 7k+ votes
    6y

    You have to be comfortable where you live no matter the deal on the table. If you are planning on house hacking, it usually will come with some drawbacks, but your own personal comfort and safety should not be something you give up. When price point is an issue as to the areas you are finding homes, you have to weigh it and decide if you should build up some more money to push the location into an area you might actually like more. Lastly, don't even put an offer in on a home you are unsure about as a new investor. Too many people want a deal under their belt and forget they have to enjoy living there too.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Member since 2019 路 31 posts 路 11 votes
    6y

    What neighborhood is the home in?

  • NY 路 Member since 2019 路 26 posts 路 7 votes
    6y

    @Jacob Malakoff West Side of Newark, NJ

  • Specialist 路 Atlanta 路 Member since 2019 路 88 posts 路 53 votes
    6y

    If you don't feel comfortable visiting the neighborhood, you should not even put an offer on the house

  • Rental Property Investor 路 South Florida 路 Member since 2020 路 9 posts 路 0 votes
    6y

    If you do not feel comfortable living there, while house hacking it (and living completely or mostly for free), I think you're going to struggle to find a tenant who is willing to pay to live there.

    I think you made the right decision by passing up on the property.

  • NY 路 Member since 2019 路 26 posts 路 7 votes
    6y

    @Jared Wilbraham That was exactly my thought process. Thanks!

  • Realtor 路 Mcallen, TX 路 Member since 2015 路 28 posts 路 14 votes
    6y

    @Patrice Bocci I had been contemplating the same most recently. Really glad I saw this post! Hope you find a better deal 馃榿

    Would be great to get an update on what kind of deal you ultimately come across as an alternative if you wouldn't mind. Great to see when thing work out despite the obstacles that present themselves in the investor world.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 TN 路 Member since 2018 路 2k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    6y

    Earning a few bucks is never worth being a crime victim.  Having you house broke into once is not worth whatever you make on the deal.  The loss of feeling safe and secure in your home can not be replaced.  And potential violent crimes make the property worth even less.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Ithaca, NY 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Patrice Boccii

    I would have made the same decision as you.

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Southington, CT 路 Member since 2008 路 5k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    6y

    While numbers are always important when evaluating a house hack situation, in my opinion the only thing that should trump the numbers in the decision making process is your safety and security. Living somewhere you do not feel safe just because a spreadsheet says the numbers are good never made sense to me. 

    I have had many clients over the years buy house hack deals and almost all of them eventually gravitate to neighborhoods they are comfortable in as opposed to areas where the paper numbers may be better in a worse neighborhood. 

  • NY 路 Member since 2019 路 26 posts 路 7 votes
    6y

    @David Trevino I absolutely do!

  • Cincinnati, OH 路 Member since 2020 路 4k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Patrice Bocci  I can only echo others responses.  But I want to add some color on how I look at properties, regardless of house hack or straight investment:

    Would I live here with my wife and two small children?
    Would I be comfortable sending my wife to the property at 3am alone?

    If either is no, I won't buy it.  Not only do I not want to be a victim, but also because I know I am average.  And that means if I would live there, other people will want to live there.  

    That being said, if the crime rate is currently high, but it is going down, dramatically.  A coffee shop has opened, maybe a new hip restaurant, then you are on the precipice of a likely strong turn around and could get in for cheap.  But there is a lot of risk in that.  Typically, that turn around is very fragile for many years, and can revert back quickly.  BUT you look like a genius if it does turn around and you bought in before others saw it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.