Is 70 years old to old to start investing?

Is 70 years old to old to start investing?

Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 5 votes


Most discussions I found about when and how to become real estate investors come from the 18 to 25 age group. Then there are a few with the "Am I too old to start investing at somewhere between 35 to 55 age group. The the replies for the youngsters is educate yourself, find a mentor, improve your credit, etc. All sound advise. (Wish BiggerPockets was around when I sold my first property in 1985,at the age of 35, because I didn't know how to leverage the equity, rent it and buy another property to live in. When I sold it, there was 70K in equity, payments were $143 PITI (included life insurance) & only 13 years left on the mortgage...sigh). I digress. Advise for "older" investors runs from go for it, you have a lot of years left, why bother you only have a few years left, just be safe you don't want to loose the money you have, depends on your risk tolerance, what's your plan old man (I didn't find any women asking the question), to you are retired where would you get the money, etc. The 35 to 55 age group after all only have anywhere from 30 to 50 years left to live (if 85 years old is used for passing on).

So here I am, 70 years old and moving from being an accidental investor to a purposeful investor. Now why would I want to do that? It's a question a lot of people ask or don't ask in a different ways, straight out question, looks of "sure", out right ignoring us at REI meetings, what's your goal & purpose (good questions no matter what age) and a presenter actually saying to the group,"Why would you want to still be investing when you are 70?".

Here's why a 70 year old might consider becoming a purposeful investor, even with just 15 years left to make a fortune. LOL  

  1. Avoiding capital gains on high equity, low cash flow properties (think 1031 exchange)
  2. End of depreciation write-off on current investment property
  3. Social Security & pensions, while nice, are not generally sufficient to live on. When one in a couple dies the other is left with whichever is the greater of the two incomes.  In some cases cutting the remaining spouse with half the income.  Cat food here I come...oh wait some pet food is now more than human food.
  4. Wanting to do more than scrimp by month to month. Passive income creates possibilities to enjoy life, not just buy food, pay property taxes, ulities, gasoline, health insurance, the survival basics. Passive income is nice no matter of age, yet especially nice in old age.
  5. Staying engaged in life. Some "oldsters" aren't interested in playing golf or whatever society expects retired women to do 7 days a week.  Or most dreadfully sit around and wait for children and grandchildren to visit. Worst yet watch TV all day just waiting to die.  (Morbid, huh)
  6. All of the above is true for us. Add to that leaving a prosperous business for our children and grandchildren to inherit, depending on future inheritance tax regulations, tax free.
  7. So to all you who wonder when it is to late to invest, my answer is any age if you are happy with what your financial situation is today and what your retirement years look like as you gaze into the future. My retire income just became greater with the passive income I receive from my 9 new rental properties.
  8. If you made it this far post, thanks for reading. Hopefully you will also reach 70 and want to be engaged. Good luck & great properity to you and yours.
      4Reply
      43 views

      Most Popular Reply

      REI Mentor · Perry, UT · Member since 2019 · 101 posts · 123 votes
      6y

      @Sharon Whipkey Hi Sharon, Nice to meet you! I love your attitude! I'm 55 and started investing when I was 28. I love Real Estate and I cannot imagine just being reitred. I'd get bored out of my skull trying to fuigure out how to occupy myself without it. I don't think I'll ever quit investing. It's too much fun! 

      See this reply in the discussion

      4 Replies

      Jump to latestLatest
      • REI Mentor · Perry, UT · Member since 2019 · 101 posts · 123 votes
        6y

        @Sharon Whipkey Hi Sharon, Nice to meet you! I love your attitude! I'm 55 and started investing when I was 28. I love Real Estate and I cannot imagine just being reitred. I'd get bored out of my skull trying to fuigure out how to occupy myself without it. I don't think I'll ever quit investing. It's too much fun! 

      • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 5 votes
        6y

        Thanks Jan. Finding exciting "work" is fulfilling and rewarding, and keeps us mentally young and stimulated.

      • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
        Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
        6y

        @Sharon Whipkey I am 75 and still buying, if another deal comes along that I like-on it! My goals are very different today; just buying to supplement my retirement income. Lately I have been making unsolicited offers on a few buildings in the area we invest in. My wife does the property management and it works out really quite well-she even lets me help once in a while. When you are older it is important to work at your own pace and to know your limitations. You also have to buy properties with enough margin so you are not trying to be the groundskeeper or janitor, plumber etc. Lots of things need to get done so have trades at hand when you need them. All the best!

      • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
        6y
        Originally posted by @Sharon Whipkey:


        Most discussions I found about when and how to become real estate investors come from the 18 to 25 age group. Then there are a few with the "Am I too old to start investing at somewhere between 35 to 55 age group. The the replies for the youngsters is educate yourself, find a mentor, improve your credit, etc. All sound advise. (Wish BiggerPockets was around when I sold my first property in 1985,at the age of 35, because I didn't know how to leverage the equity, rent it and buy another property to live in. When I sold it, there was 70K in equity, payments were $143 PITI (included life insurance) & only 13 years left on the mortgage...sigh). I digress. Advise for "older" investors runs from go for it, you have a lot of years left, why bother you only have a few years left, just be safe you don't want to loose the money you have, depends on your risk tolerance, what's your plan old man (I didn't find any women asking the question), to you are retired where would you get the money, etc. The 35 to 55 age group after all only have anywhere from 30 to 50 years left to live (if 85 years old is used for passing on).

        So here I am, 70 years old and moving from being an accidental investor to a purposeful investor. Now why would I want to do that? It's a question a lot of people ask or don't ask in a different ways, straight out question, looks of "sure", out right ignoring us at REI meetings, what's your goal & purpose (good questions no matter what age) and a presenter actually saying to the group,"Why would you want to still be investing when you are 70?".

        Here's why a 70 year old might consider becoming a purposeful investor, even with just 15 years left to make a fortune. LOL  

        1. Avoiding capital gains on high equity, low cash flow properties (think 1031 exchange)
        2. End of depreciation write-off on current investment property
        3. Social Security & pensions, while nice, are not generally sufficient to live on. When one in a couple dies the other is left with whichever is the greater of the two incomes.  In some cases cutting the remaining spouse with half the income.  Cat food here I come...oh wait some pet food is now more than human food.
        4. Wanting to do more than scrimp by month to month. Passive income creates possibilities to enjoy life, not just buy food, pay property taxes, ulities, gasoline, health insurance, the survival basics. Passive income is nice no matter of age, yet especially nice in old age.
        5. Staying engaged in life. Some "oldsters" aren't interested in playing golf or whatever society expects retired women to do 7 days a week.  Or most dreadfully sit around and wait for children and grandchildren to visit. Worst yet watch TV all day just waiting to die.  (Morbid, huh)
        6. All of the above is true for us. Add to that leaving a prosperous business for our children and grandchildren to inherit, depending on future inheritance tax regulations, tax free.
        7. So to all you who wonder when it is to late to invest, my answer is any age if you are happy with what your financial situation is today and what your retirement years look like as you gaze into the future. My retire income just became greater with the passive income I receive from my 9 new rental properties.
        8. If you made it this far post, thanks for reading. Hopefully you will also reach 70 and want to be engaged. Good luck & great properity to you and yours.

            I enjoyed reading your view on things,  Sharon.  Well said.

            Investing implies hope and future.  Once we give up on either, it is only then too late.  Keep on keeping on👍

          Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.