How Many Real Estate Deals Have You Completed This Year?

How Many Real Estate Deals Have You Completed This Year?

Lender · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2012 · 714 posts · 169 votes

Many of our real estate investors have commented recently that they were busier in 2010 and 2011 than in 2012. For example, one of our most active investors told me recently that he successfully completed 10 deals in 2010 and in 2011 was able to complete 15. “This is excellent,” I said. But then he told me that in 2012, year to date, he’s only successfully completed 3 deals, with one deal currently in the works.

“So, what’s going on?” I asked him.
“There are many factors,” he explained. Some of the more obvious factors are of course the slowing down of the release of inventory coupled with a splurge of new buyers entering the market because of low interest rates. “The big wave is over,” he flatly told me.

But what about the recent announcements that some of the larger banks will be releasing some new inventory in the last quarter of 2012? No one has a crystal ball, and of course, no one really knows what plans the banks have. We will just all have to wait and see how the rest of this year unfolds.

But for now, I’m curious to hear from some other real estate investors out there. How many real estate deals have you successfully completed this year? Was it less than in 2010 and 2011? Please share.

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Fishers, IN · Member since 2009 · 408 posts · 196 votes
14y

Completed over 75 this year, hope to complete less deals next year and wish we could close more this year but inventory is slowing for us. I anticipate the inventory to open up in November/December after the election.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Fishers, IN · Member since 2009 · 408 posts · 196 votes
    14y

    Completed over 75 this year, hope to complete less deals next year and wish we could close more this year but inventory is slowing for us. I anticipate the inventory to open up in November/December after the election.

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    14y

    75 that a lot of properties @Kevin Kaczmarek

    light rehabs ___ ? heavy / gut rehabs ___ ?

    How many have you completed since you started investing ?

    regardless excellent work

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    14y

    So far this year, we have 9 either completed or in progress. We're hoping for another 10-15 the second half of the year, which would put us ahead of 2010 and 2011...

  • Real Estate Investor · Fishers, IN · Member since 2009 · 408 posts · 196 votes
    14y

    most are light rehabs, very few gut jobs. Our strategy is one of buy and hold for our clients so we are looking for close to turn-key

  • Real Estate Investor · Virginia, DC &, MD · Member since 2008 · 261 posts · 71 votes
    14y

    5 so far this year. I have the capacity to work on 2 at a time but cant find good deals in my area. My goal is to complete 4 more this year.

  • Lender · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2012 · 714 posts · 169 votes
    14y

    Jim S - Did you do more last year or more this year so far?

  • Jason GrotePro Member
    Developer · Austin, TX · Member since 2011 · 286 posts · 88 votes
    14y

    For myself, this year has been markedly better! We completed 5 rehabs and 1 wholesale last year :(

    This year so far we have completed 4 rehabs, 4 wholesale, 2 wholetail, and have 4 under contract. It has been a banner year thus far!

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Hattiesburg, MS · Member since 2011 · 475 posts · 141 votes
    14y

    About 30.... As a agent lol...

    5 Investment deals..... Just need more rehab properties... Foreclosures are dried, coupled with the 15-30 day OO periods things are pretty slow on the rehabs... Investors are just fighting over the dogs...

    Starting to look at different sources instead of foreclosures.. Most recent buy was a estate property.

  • Mark UpdegraffBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Rochester, NY · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 690 votes
    14y

    I'm actually happy that this has been a slow year on the acquisition front. I only closed 1 tri-plex at the beginning of the year. I'm yet to begin rehabbing it! We're finally wrapping up the renovations on a SF I closed on in November of last year. I've been tempted to purchase more, but I'm determined to get caught up before adding any more holding costs to my balance sheet.

    With so many great deals available, it has been pretty hard to resist... but that is just adding motivation to get things stabilized ASAP.

    Happy investing yall!
    Mark in Upstate & Central PA

  • Involved In Real Estate · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2012 · 216 posts · 42 votes
    14y

    I have completed five deals so far with another just purchased. It's my first year out so I don't really have anything to compare it to. It's been great but competition certainly seems to have picked up.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Grand Blanc, MI · Member since 2008 · 885 posts · 316 votes
    14y

    I have completed 14 deals so far this year. I have two more in the works which ought to close within the next few weeks.

    This year ought to have been slower than years in the past, however, I changed my strategy and started focusing more on the buy and holds, opposed to flipping. As already said in this thread, the flipping has slowed down with all the OO bidding and investor competition. Since prices are on the rise, my game plan has changed to acquiring as much as possible for buy and holds.

    I've also started a wholesaling en-devour with a partner. We have four under contract.

    As an agent, this has been a banner year. 2012 has been far better than any other year.

  • Investor · Nottingham, NH · Member since 2011 · 35 posts · 12 votes
    14y

    Wow, you folks rock... So far this year I have closed and rented two Very profitable deals.
    One 4-plex (light renovation) and 1 SFH, nearly turn-key.
    I am a buy and hold with 21 units and a full time job I can't walk away from yet.
    I might squeeze in one more deal this year.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 928 votes
    14y

    My 8th remodel hit the market Saturday. I'm closing on two more in the next two weeks and I'm trying to get to 20 for the year.

  • Investor · El Paso/Socorro, TX · Member since 2012 · 365 posts · 75 votes
    14y

    Just one buy this year, took almost three months to complete. Like Mark Updegraff, I am trying to finish up some fixing on an old one and the new one before moving on. Unless I find a deal I can't refuse, lol!

  • Mobile, AL · Member since 2012 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    14y

    Last year I had a great year. Closed on 27 properties, and cashed in quite nicely. Took some time off, relocated back to closer to home, and now am looking forward to another successful year. Last year was definitively one of my bests, but I think that it was more luck than anything. All of the investors just seemed to line up, and everything just seemed to flow.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.