Flaw in the BRRRR strategy?

Flaw in the BRRRR strategy?

Tampa, FL · Member since 2014 · 169 posts · 164 votes

Watched your webinar last night and, perhaps I missed it if you mentioned it @Brandon Turner, but one important consideration for me when I use the BRRRR strategy is price point, not only of the purchase price, but more importantly, of the ARV.

In my model at least, the BRRRR strategy will only work on properties with an ARV of at least $100K because when you go to do the cash-out refi, banks typically aren't interested in doing loans for any less than $70K. There just isn't enough money to be made from loans smaller than that.

Consequently, since most banks only offer a cash-out refi of 70%-75% of the property's ARV, the ARV's going to need to be pretty close to $100K to meet that $70K threshold. So, that limits my acquisitions to properties only in the range of $60-$80K, with a $10K-$30K reno budget + hopefully a small market appreciation to push me to the $100K ARV mark.

This is something I think is important to mention to newbies who may be thinking about buying the cheapest property possible, say $40K, and then sinking $25K into a reno, and now have $65K invested and can't find a bank that will give them a cash-out refi. Now, they're dead in the water and have all their capital tied up and will likely be forced to flip it, unless they go to private lenders or perhaps pay a very high rate at a bank.

Now of course there are plenty of other creative refi options available, but I'm just not experienced enough yet to be able to use them. ;) Gotta watch more webinars!!

BTW-- I also got lucky on my last deal since I was able to find a bank that would give me an immediate cash-out refi, although at a 1/8 point higher rate and at only 70% of ARV rather than the 75% I've achieved on another property. Although that cut slightly into my cash flow and locked-up a bit more cash (as equity) than I wanted, the numbers still worked. I just couldn't wait six months or a year in a rapidly appreciating market like Tampa, FL.

4Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe VilleneuvePro Member
Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
9y

@Mark J. Cash out where I am is 75%. Minimum loan amount is $50k. What you are describing as a "flaw" isn't a flaw...it's a restriction or limitation based on the market you are investing in. BRRRR doesn't work on every property, in every market. What does?

The issue with the BRRRR is that it isn't an entrance strategy...it's an exit strategy, and the problems are the limited number of loans you can get, and depending on the appraisal.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 955 votes
    9y

    Agreed @Mark J.

    Most lenders and banks have a minimum amount to loan. 

    However, you also found a way by calling on different banks. Luck is often disguised as hard work. Like yourself, I found a portfolio lender as well and cashed out at 70% ARV within a couple of months. And that was before I found BP and realized what BRRRR is.

    There are a lot of moving parts of the BRRRR strategy. For newbies, get educated first. Engage in the forums, and take action.

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    9y

    @Mark J. Cash out where I am is 75%. Minimum loan amount is $50k. What you are describing as a "flaw" isn't a flaw...it's a restriction or limitation based on the market you are investing in. BRRRR doesn't work on every property, in every market. What does?

    The issue with the BRRRR is that it isn't an entrance strategy...it's an exit strategy, and the problems are the limited number of loans you can get, and depending on the appraisal.

  • Real Estate Agent · Wesley Chapel, FL · Member since 2016 · 153 posts · 38 votes
    9y

    @Mark J. that is great information. 

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2014 · 169 posts · 164 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Joe Villeneuve-- agreed it's not a flaw, it's a limitation. But as an important limitation (for many markets & properties), I haven't seen it discussed as prominently as it probably should be. As a freshly minted newbie, I didn't know about this refi limitation until I started shopping around for rates near the end of the renovation project. Not so smart, right?! I called & visited over 25 banks, from small local ones to large chains to get the rate/terms I wanted. Fortunately, the numbers still worked out for me and I met the minimum refi amount, but I think it's something that newbies need to be aware of as part of the BRRR strategy. Perhaps call it the QBRRR model. Q for Quotes. ;) Hah! Doesn't really roll off the tounge now does it?! ;)

    Also, would you mind sharing the names of the lenders who do cash-out refis at $50K? That would expand my options for sure. Do they offer rates/terms similar to higher loan amounts? Not sure I understand / agree with your assertion of BRRR as just an exit strategy. The power of BRRR is that it's a total strategy: entrance, process, exit, and next opportunity.

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    9y

    @Mark J. BRRRR is only an exit strategy because it is limited as an entrance strategy due to the limits in the number of loans. If your limit is 10 loans, you can exit out of the 10th, but where do you go then.

    The key to REI is to never spend your money...use it on an unlimited number of properties, but never spend it.

  • Investor · Colonial Heights, VA · Member since 2014 · 115 posts · 68 votes
    9y

    call @Jerry Padilla . He can get you a 30 year mortgage under 50k. he just did one for me. A successful BRRR and got 100% back.

  • Investor · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2013 · 132 posts · 58 votes
    9y
    Mark J. Another option if you have multiple properties is to find a commercial lender who will do blanket loans (one loan cross collateralized across multiple properties). This takes your 5 40k properties and allows you to obtain a note for 200k.(just an example).
  • Investor · Malden, MA · Member since 2015 · 66 posts · 14 votes
    9y
    Good information guys! I flipped a couple houses in Boston, but now am finding it too expensive to invest in. So know I'm going to try out BRRR strategy in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh area! Very exited to get started! Little nervous investing out of state though.
  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2014 · 169 posts · 164 votes
    9y

    @Robert Curls - Actually, I've always had a question about blanket loans. Wouldn't that essentially lock-up for your portfolio and prevent you from selling property secured by the loan or would you need to swap in a new property of equal value if you sell an existing one? Thinking as the bank, if there's less collateral securing the original loan, risk goes up. How do this whole thing work?

    In my case, I wouldn't have the capital to buy x5 properties out-right and fund the renovation on each before even being able to get a blanket loan. Perhaps I could do it on two or three properties. Is there a minimum amount for a blanket loan? How are rates / terms affected by this type of financing?

    THANKS!

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2014 · 169 posts · 164 votes
    9y

    Oh, and @Joe Villeneuve - I like how you phrased the difference between "using" your money and "spending" your money. Money as a recyclable, renvenue generating resource is definitely the best strategy (particularly when there's a limited amount of it in my case!) ;) 

  • Developer · Cleveland / Akron, OH · Member since 2008 · 922 posts · 399 votes
    9y

    @Joe Villeneuve A commercial lender I know has a vendor who developed a product that helps with the 10 loans. They refi them all into one non-recourse blanket to free up the conforming loans to be utilized again. They only want 100K+ houses though and nothing in the city proper, so at least someone isn't repeating past mistakes on the lending side.

  • St. Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 13 votes
    9y
    Hello, all; I watched the webcast as well. Being a newbie I'm wondering how to accurately forecast the ARV price of these 100 properties every 30 days to vet the good, bad, and ugly. Am I to rely on a realtor or appraiser willing to churn data the same way we as investor are? If this is addressed somewhere on the forum, could someone point me? Thx
  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Mark J.:

    Oh, and @Joe Villeneuve - I like how you phrased the difference between "using" your money and "spending" your money. Money as a recyclable, renvenue generating resource is definitely the best strategy (particularly when there's a limited amount of it in my case!) ;) 

    I tell REI that "money isn't a noun, it's a verb.  When it becomes a noun...you lose"

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Ryan Arth:

    @Joe Villeneuve A commercial lender I know has a vendor who developed a product that helps with the 10 loans. They refi them all into one non-recourse blanket to free up the conforming loans to be utilized again. They only want 100K+ houses though and nothing in the city proper, so at least someone isn't repeating past mistakes on the lending side.

     I know them too.  It doesn't help in the end.  There are a number of new requirements and restrictions with that "blanket" loan...depending on the source of the loan.  One usual problem is that blanket loan ends up having a higher payment than the cumulative payments of all the properties/loans if they were individual loans.  You can keep going, but you drop CF more than it's worth.

    The better solution is to get a credit partner.  When the credit partner runs out of available loans, you get a different credit partner.  This also allows you to do a number of simultaneous loans/properties, based on the number of credit partners you have. 

    Another way is to have a new cash partner buy into the deal's equity.  If the deal was originally cash, then you have 100% equity.  After the cash partner buys in, you still have 100% equity, so at any time you can refi as well. 

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    The take home message, and it is a good one, is to think through and validate every part of your plan from entrance to exit to make sure it is sound BEFORE entering ... it would be ashame to get through most of the first steps only to find you are pinched in on your planned exit. This still happens from time to time even with sound planning and validation, and that is where having multiple exit strategies becomes important, which I believe a properly executed BRRRR strategy should have.

    Also, good point on the low end limitation ... I'd also say there is a high end on the price limitation in that as you go up in price, the cash flow will not support your cash out refinance (at least initially, if you want to stay cash flow positive post refinance, which most do). So the low end price limit (based on ability to refinance) and the high end price limit (based on cash flow) gives you a defined pricing "sweet spot" for BRRRR.

  • Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 102 posts · 24 votes
    9y
    Mark J. I do agree that it's an obstacle. However I have found a portfolio lender who is willing to do 80% LTV of cash out refi's. They offer a 30 year ammortization with a 15 year balloon. I generally don't buy properties below $90k, but did for my first duplex. I bout it for $76k and refinanced it 2 years later, pulling almost all my investment. For this to happen, you are absolutely right, you need to buy at the right price. If you pay too much, you won't be able to get a high enough appraisal no matter how much you renovate. You simply have too high a starting point.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.