What type of ROI can I expect on a $2,000,000 MF?

What type of ROI can I expect on a $2,000,000 MF?

DORAL, FL · Member since 2015 · 58 posts · 10 votes

Thank you for reading my post. Please let me know if I should be posting this in another category.

I'll start by saying that I am a newbie. Other than my primary residence I bought in 2011, I have yet to make any moves in the market and like many new investors I am scared to make my first move.

That being said I feel like if I can afford to, the right move to make is a big one. One address/as many doors as possible. I figure that a 2 Million dollar building with a few dozen units (maybe more) could be a target for my first investment.

Couple questions for those who are well educated in this space...

1- What type of NOI can one expect today on a property like that?

2- It seems like anything I have found listed online (Loopnet) claims to be in the 5-7% range. For a 1st time investor do you think is a 5-7% NOI is enough to tie up that much cash (20% down payment) on a 2M building?

3-  How would you go about looking for a "good deal" (below intrinsic value) in this space? What cities?

4- Should I only be looking in the state I live in?

5- How would you go about perhaps finding a successful mentor that will help find and go in the deal with me allowing us to maybe buy more than one building together?

Thanks in advance for your input. I love this forum because I can hopefully get answers from experienced folks without having to attend local REI meetings and filter through the BS, the wannabe's, and the ones that are just their for prospecting. No offense to those meetings. I think they can be a great forum, but time is money and it is so frustrating for a newbie to break away from their family on a weekday evening to drive across town and attend one of these meetings only to leave more confused then when they stepped foot in the place and feel like they are back do the drawing board.

0Reply
141 views

Most Popular Reply

Roy N.Pro Member
Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
10y
Originally posted by @Jason Hirko:

@Roy N. How would his NOI not change if he had debt service expense?

While technically the interest portion of your debt service could be included as an operating cost (at least for taxable income purposes), in practice all debt service is taken below the line (i.e. it is deducted from NOI, not before NOI).

How you finance a business does not change the net operating income produced by the business, but it does change the available cash flow before taxes (CFBT).

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Justin Cabral:

    ...

    Couple questions for those who are well educated in this space...

    1- What type of NOI can one expect today on a property like that?

    That is a bit like asking what fuel economy would you achieve with a $70,000 vehicle.  Depending upon "what" you purchase - ie. a 2-tonne truck versus a electric car - your fuel economy could be drastically different.

    The same is true with a building:  If you purchase a 60-yr old, 50-unit building where there have been no improvements to the envelope; where heat is provided by an antiquated central boiler; and there is a tonne of deferred maintenance, your operating costs may be 65 - 75% of your gross revenue.

    Conversely, if you were to purchase a 10yr old, 24-unit building - even one built to our lax North American minimum code requirements - where each unit has its own, independent heat and ventilation, your operating costs may only be 45% of your gross revenue.

    LoopeNet is {generally} where the unsaleable collect. The "good" deals are long-gone before anything is ever listed. Find yourself an reputable commercial broker experienced in the area(s) where you are interested in investing. He or she will know what properties are coming available - or could be made available - long before you will find them on MLS or LoopNet.

    We find our multi-unit prospects through word of mouth (networking) or from brokers who know what types properties fit our profile.

     That is a business strategy you will have to decide based upon your comfort level.  However, with a multiunit building of 24+ units, you will likely have both live-in superintendent and professional management  - the larger the building the more necessary this will be.   If you have good professional property management, then you need not be in the same City, state, or even, country.

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Justin Cabral what market are you looking at? And keep in mind, the NOI listed on loopnet is based on a cash buyer. I think you'd be hard pressed to get the financing you're talking about for any type of long term based on that return. Most lenders on that type of thing will only give you a 20-30 year amortization period, but have a balloon payment at 5 or something. The best ones will still only lock in your interest rate for a certain number of years, and then let it float, which could eat away that whole 5% really quickly

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jason Hirko:

    @Justin Cabral what market are you looking at? And keep in mind, the NOI listed on loopnet is based on a cash buyer. I think you'd be hard pressed to get the financing you're talking about for any type of long term based on that return. Most lenders on that type of thing will only give you a 20-30 year amortization period, but have a balloon payment at 5 or something. The best ones will still only lock in your interest rate for a certain number of years, and then let it float, which could eat away that whole 5% really quickly

     Justin:

    Whether you buy cash or finance, your NOI should not differ. The CFBT will be significantly higher with no debt service, but that's further down the income statement. ;-)

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Roy N. How would his NOI not change if he had debt service expense?

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jason Hirko:

    @Roy N. How would his NOI not change if he had debt service expense?

    While technically the interest portion of your debt service could be included as an operating cost (at least for taxable income purposes), in practice all debt service is taken below the line (i.e. it is deducted from NOI, not before NOI).

    How you finance a business does not change the net operating income produced by the business, but it does change the available cash flow before taxes (CFBT).

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Roy N.:
    Originally posted by @Jason Hirko:

    @Roy N. How would his NOI not change if he had debt service expense?

    While technically the interest portion of your debt service could be included as an operating cost (at least for taxable income purposes), in practice all debt service is taken below the line (i.e. it is deducted from NOI, not before NOI).

    How you finance a business does not change the net operating income produced by the business, but it does change the available cash flow before taxes (CFBT).

     Agree 100%, with the caveat that if he is looking at a $2MM investment that returns 5%, that $100k will get eaten up by his financing costs really quick. even if he is able to get a 30 year am at 4% with 20% down, the annual payment would be $96,000!!

  • Miami Lakes, FL · Member since 2015 · 133 posts · 83 votes
    10y
    I'm assuming you're looking in Doral and the surrounding areas. Like most of South Florida, Doral is stupid expensive. Not saying don't invest there, but if you're ready to drop $400k on a down payment, you would be wise to check out other markets where you can get a (significantly) better return. If you want to stay in Florida, some cities to consider would be Jacksonville, areas around Orlando or Port St Lucie, just to scratch the surface. Outside Florida, the possibilities are endless. $2m goes a LOT farther in Birmingham, Nashville, Indianapolis or Dayton. If you want to stay in South Florida, there are deals out there. I saw a 12 unit property a few months back over in Little Haiti (I think) that was going for $800k. Every unit was vacant and it needed work, but again, with $200k at your disposal you can buy something like that, rehab units and rent them out. But if I was to drop 20% on a $2m loan, I'd be looking in more linear markets, ones that don't go up and down like a roller coaster. I like boring markets.
  • Rental Property Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2015 · 307 posts · 127 votes
    10y

    I'll second Ken above, central Fla & northern east coast would be viable, or cities like Birmingham, Charleston, Atlanta, Nashville, etc. For a new investor, I wouldn't touch anything below a 10% CAP, as you'll essentially be covering your debt service.

  • Cypress, TX · Member since 2016 · 132 posts · 49 votes
    10y
    I don't recommend "jumping in." Learn the business first. MF is completely different than SF and if you don't know what you are doing you'll lose everything. As for 6% NOI, I assume you are talking about the cap rate. Unless it is a class a property the is way overpriced. Cap rate goes up as the class drops.
  • DORAL, FL · Member since 2015 · 58 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    Thanks for all the input so far and I welcome more feedback please.

     As far as where I am looking, my searches have been primarily south Florida only because I am more familiar with the geography but I am open to out of state given what @Roy N. mentioned (live-in super intendant and/or property manager). 

    @Ken Badziak I agree with you 100% about how volatile the market in south Florida is and I would much prefer to invest in more linear markets for a long term cash flow with exit plan strategy. 

    What are some of those markets so that I can look for commercial brokers in those markets that can send deals my way before they hit mls and loopnet?

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 200 posts · 87 votes
    10y

    I would recommend doing at least a smaller property or two maybe a duplex before buying an apartment complex.

    Here is why:

    1) you will need a team for to manage the apartments

    2) you will need a team to repair the apartments (by the way you need to include the huge repair costs that usually go along with the sale of apartment buildings and a lot of times they are 2-3X greater than the sale price of the building)

    3) you will have to deal with a lot of lower end tenants who move in and out a lot faster and do a lot more damage to the properties

    4) the loans will be tougher to get and cost more if you get a loan

    I would get a feel for managing a property or two and see the real time and effort that goes into it before dialing it up.

    That being said, 5-7% is terrible.  You are better off putting your money in an index fund and getting 8-10% with little work or effort.

    You want really about 12-15% and if you can't get it locally you may have to look to areas like Indianapolis where it is a lot easier to get those kind of returns.  Find some good wholesalers they will help a ton.  Go to Real Estate Investor Association meetings in your area they will help you find sellers that sell for good prices and have worthwhile investments.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 933 posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Justin

    I like the comments around getting some education before looking for your first property.  There are several ways to do that including books, local MF meetups, BP podcasts focused on MF investing, BP forums, hiring a MF coach, etc.  I'm more than happy to give you some ideas.  That said, while you are educating yourself you can also learn and team up w/experienced operators as a limited partner in syndications.   Although often looked at as a passive investment, w/intention of doing your own deals someday, you can learn and earn w/operators who have done it before.  This is IMO a safer way to go than to learn from the school of hard knocks w/your own hard earned money.  I've got a post below that gives some ideas on how I went down this path.  As a syndicator, I think many investors could benefit from going this alternative route.  I also hired a coach to ramp my education quicker and the second post is worth reviewing on how to get started in MF investing.

    Dave

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/432/topics/30...

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/223/topics/31...

  • DORAL, FL · Member since 2015 · 58 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    @David Thompson

    Thanks for chiming in. Sounds like a reasonable strategy for someone who still has much to learn. 

    So I guess the million dollar question regarding syndication is how can a new investor finds trustworthy syndicators with a consistant/successful/documented track record and happy investors partners.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 933 posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Justin,

    Good question.  Several hang out in Bigger Pockets apartment forums.  Some have their moniker investor / syndicator on their profile.  They all should provide you w/their track record and references.   Unfortunately we can't advertise our deals but you can reach out to them, get on their investor list and get regular updates from them via newsletters, updates on new projects, etc.  Most of them require investor to be accredited, they will want to understand your goals and objectives, determine suitability and should answer any question you have.  PM me and I can provide a few names that you can start your reserach.

  • Professional · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 876 posts · 301 votes
    10y

    Good topic! Regarding multi-family and syndications, if you are an accredited investor, you can buy into institutional grade $50-125M projects with as little as $100,000 and diversify. Professionals with decades of experience and very impressive track records do all the heavy lifting for you. You get potential cash flow, tax shelter and appreciation. Loans are non-recourse. This is the world of Delaware Statutory Trusts. Feel free to connect with me here on BP and let me know if I can help. Leslie

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 780 votes
    10y

    The short and sweet question is what do you want out of an investment. Every investor is different. So the answer will be different from different investors.

  • DORAL, FL · Member since 2015 · 58 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    @David Thompson

    @Leslie Pappas

    Thank you for your comments. 

    After reading your comments and doing a few searches, I would like to aqcuire more information about RE crowdfunding for accredited investors. 

    In my reading, I came across a platform called PatchOfLand.com that seems to have a heavy following and decent reviews. Can you share your thoughts on this platform and/or others that may appeal to a newbie accredited investor?

  • Rental Property Investor · Malvern, PA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 936 votes
    10y

    @Justin Cabral - Try a search of Bigger Pockets for "Patch of Land".  There are several discussions.  The link below goes to one of them.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/520/topics/11...

    Jim.

  • Ian IppolitoBusiness Member
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Justin, yes, I think it's a smart idea to at least consider crowdfunding: especially if you are new to real estate. While you can make a lot of money with direct investing, you can also lose a lot of money if you don't know what you're doing.

    Patch of Land does mostly residential debt. In my opinion, they were once fantastic (I rated the number 1 last year) but I don't feel the same way about them after all the changes that have happened over the last year.  Peerstreet also does mostly residential debt, has much better loan-to-value ratios, and puts their entire performance online (and to date it's been better than POL).

    However, before you start looking at sites, you need to consider how you want to allocate your portfolio across different strategies (equity versus debt, residential versus commercial, etc.). Once you figure that out, then you can start looking at the different platforms. I would look at the top 3 or 4 in whatever areas you're looking to invest and dive into those. If you have any questions just let me know.

    The Real Estate Crowdfunding Review
    View Page
  • Professional · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 876 posts · 301 votes
    10y

    @Justin Cabral, crowdfunding makes real estate easily accessible, the difference is that PatchofLand is a relatively small "mom and pop" operation and we do institutional real estate with the largest property management firms in the country. Crowdfunding can work if you are an expert at evaluating offerings on your own. With institutional real estate investments, the advice of an expert who works in the industry every day, knows all the players and their track records, and performs due diligence on each offering is a great benefit to you and comes to you at no cost.

  • Investor · Coppell, TX · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 646 votes
    10y

    Hello again!  You are obviously more invested in sales that either personal statements or questions are not asked..  I just hope that you get emails from other people are frustrated with your attempts for making sales .  I do not appreciate your attempts.

  • DORAL, FL · Member since 2015 · 58 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    @Michael Lee

    Can you clarify or elaborate? Your post looks like it was meant for another thread. You did not specify who you are addressing with your innapropiate comment.

  • Investor · Coppell, TX · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 646 votes
    10y

    Hello! I was commenting about you and your injustice.  I am 59 years old and I was born and raised in Dallas Texas and I have seen a bunch is crap and that is what I saw.

  • Miami Lakes, FL · Member since 2015 · 133 posts · 83 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Michael Lee:

    Hello! I was commenting about you and your injustice.  I am 59 years old and I was born and raised in Dallas Texas and I have seen a bunch is crap and that is what I saw.

     Drinking and Internet. Usually not a good combo.

    Friends don't let friends drink and Internet.

  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes
    10y
    What type of ROI can I expect on a $2,000,000 MF? If you have to ask, it'll probably be negative...
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.