Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 45 posts · 5 votes
When the investors here have cash saved up for down payment money on a new investment property, do you store that money in a standard bank account, in the market, in some other liquid investment? Some combination of the above?
What about reserve cash, my assumption would be that most people keep reserve cash in a more stable account like a bank account or money market, but does anyone do things differently? Especially for people who might store down payment money in the market or a less stable but higher interest vehicle.
Do people use one account per property, or one account for all of their properties and just manage the amount in it to cover reserve for all of the properties thy own?
What are the successful investors best practices for the cash they need to do business?
Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
10y
Hi @Adam Sporinsky. I keep rainy day reserves in a standard savings account, earning basically nothing. It's not there to earn (though it would be nice), but more like insurance.
I am ok with a no-load index fund in my acquisition account that extends out 24+ months. As I'm not really expecting gang-busters in the equities market this or next year, I wouldn't 'invest' with less than 24 month money. The index funds keep the turnover and corresponding div/gain taxes low.
I have a few accounts, but only because I have a few entities. I wouldn't have separate accounts for each property if I was only investing personally. Good questions! Curious to see how the truly successful do it!
Hi @Adam Sporinsky. I keep rainy day reserves in a standard savings account, earning basically nothing. It's not there to earn (though it would be nice), but more like insurance.
I am ok with a no-load index fund in my acquisition account that extends out 24+ months. As I'm not really expecting gang-busters in the equities market this or next year, I wouldn't 'invest' with less than 24 month money. The index funds keep the turnover and corresponding div/gain taxes low.
I have a few accounts, but only because I have a few entities. I wouldn't have separate accounts for each property if I was only investing personally. Good questions! Curious to see how the truly successful do it!
Thanks for the answer. It is my understanding that each entity needs to have a separate account, is that correct? (I haven't set mine up yet. As an aside, do you think I should do that before getting the first property if I plan to FHA/203K and live in the first one, or would having it in an entity at time of sale complicate my process?)
I am also looking forward to responses from the truly successful members here, but I think yours is a great answer to get us started.
Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
10y
I keep my primary residence(s) in my own name. I keep little rental houses in my own name with good insurance. My entities only own my 5+unit apts. I don't think FHA will finance an entity but don't know for sure. You also can't sell for a tax-free gain if in an entity.
Yes, each entity has it's own bank acct. I don't invest in the market in the name of an entity. Not a lawyer or tax guy. Good luck!
Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2015 · 98 posts · 59 votes
10y
I'm interested as well. I always wonder if it is better to put reserves cash in a savings account or pay down my HELOC (relying on the credit limit of the HELOC for reserves). The latter seems to entail some risk (bank may lower HELOC limit in a downturn) but offers a better return.