Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Luke Mccandless
  • Investor
  • Washington
Votes |
Bay Area FHA triplex sanity check!

Luke Mccandless
  • Investor
  • Washington
Posted

I am fully underwritten for an FHA loan to buy a 2-4 unit property in the bay area up to $550,000 ( possible higher depending on the income of the other units).

I am considering a place in West Oakland, currently a slightly high crime area, but strong rental rates and low vacancies. The property is a 3 unit place. There will be very little work required at move in. I will live in the 1/1 and rent the other units. My agent and I feel it will go for ~500k. I am committed to buying a 2-4 unit property and want to be sure I have thought of everything.  My commute will not be great, however, I only have to live in the property for 1 year, 2 if I want to avoid taxes. 

Mortgage with taxes and insurance and PMI is $2800 utilities are $300. No capital improvements needed for some 5 years + I will live in one unit and the rent on the other units will total (currently ) $2300 (market) $3700. As some people may know it's difficult to get market rents due to rent controls tenant's rights etc in California. Over the next year after move in I will work on getting rents up to market.

Questions:

1: If you you know of another property that better fits my needs let me know! 

2: Does anyone else own property in West Oakland? I am very interested in your thoughts.  

Loading replies...