Are the players on your "team" from different unaffiliated companies?

Are the players on your "team" from different unaffiliated companies?

Real Estate Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2014 · 10 posts · 4 votes

Hello all,

I am about to jump back into real estate investing with the goal of purchasing turn-key rentals.  I live in Cali, but will be investing out-of-state.  As I begin to put together my "investment team" in each local market I am analyzing, I wonder whether it is best to assemble members from different companies (i.e. using a real estate agent from one company and a property manager from a different one) or if it is OK to go with one company that offers a wide range of services (a "one-stop shop")?

Do y'all have any thoughts on this?  Are there conflict of interest concerns in using one company that offers a range of services?

Thanks!

0Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Curt DavisBusiness Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
11y

you can certainly use and assemble your own team but most tk companies have a system in place for you to take advantage of which is why most people use a tk provider.  

Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Curt DavisBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    you can certainly use and assemble your own team but most tk companies have a system in place for you to take advantage of which is why most people use a tk provider.  

    Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
  • Real Estate Investor · Asbury Park, NJ · Member since 2015 · 55 posts · 12 votes
    11y

    @Greg Johns

    Some of my most valuable team members referred me to colleagues who also became members of my team. I didn't plan it out that way, but when you find good people and have a bad experience with another professional you work with, you tend to ask those you can count on for advice.

    Hope this helps and good luck bro!

  • Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
    11y

    @Greg Johns

     As a out of state investor, I have a preference for turn-key companies that already have a full team in place, and particularly property management, most preferably under the same ownership.  The PM can really make or break your investment deal, and I want a PM that is motivated to keep investors (and tenants) happy over the long term.    

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Remember the difference in incentive in working with individuals worth an entire team. One individual only has so much incentive to perform properly for you because they will make a minimum amount on the deal. But a company who is in charge of the whole process has a lot more incentive. That company needs each department to perform as best as possible because their sales depend on it. Each department relies on the other, so they all have to work together to make the whole sale a good one. Individual team members don't have that incentive, and likely could care less, so the motivation to go out of their way to make your property perform well is much less, if anything.

  • Registered Nurse (ICU) · San Jose, CA · Member since 2014 · 496 posts · 332 votes
    11y
    That's great advice from everyone so far. And that's why I have grown to like turnkey providers. Especially as an out of state investor.
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11y

    Just as a counter point to think of; with a single provider, if that provider is not good you have a bigger problem then if one person is bad and you just need to fill that one roll. 

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 185 posts · 27 votes
    11y

    I personally run team players from various companies. I don't really work with particular companies; I just work with whoever I like.

  • Real Estate Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2014 · 10 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    Thanks for the insight!  It sounds like finding a company that can provide all of the services is the general preference, particularly for out-of-state investors.  But I can definitely see the drawback if you don't like one part of their service and you are "bought into" a bundled package of services (kind of like cable companies' "triple play" packages, lol).

    The important thing for me from these responses is that there is no bias against using a full-service company.  So if I find one I like, I won't be going against conventional wisdom by using them.

    Thanks everybody!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.