Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Windingstad
  • Investor
  • Minnesota
Votes |
Out-of-State LTR Investing

Daniel Windingstad
  • Investor
  • Minnesota
Posted Sep 10 2024, 07:22

Hello,

I own 2 properties (1 sf, 1 duplex) in Minnesota, and find that the rules, fees, tenant laws, taxes, etc. In Minneapolis are making it very hard to be profitable. The best thing i seem to have going is appreciation, which is nice, but cashflow is struggling a bit. 

What are the best out of state markets, and who has invested out of state? What are the major pros and cons, and tips to making it successful out of state? Open to all shared knowledge. 

cheers, 

Dan

User Stats

Votes
Dean Harris
Agent
#4 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Sep 12 2024, 07:15

@Daniel Windingstad

This is alwasy a popular question and everyone will likely suggest the location they are investing in. I invest in Memphis, TN and have a large portfolio of SF properties here. Im sourcing a strong tenant base with the properties I am buying and my average rent is just under $1700. You will be able to find cash flow and some appreciation here in Memphis. I often see the 1% rule all they way yo to the $140,000-$150,000 price range. 

Best of luck!

• Real Estate Agent TN (#00286759) and Mississippi (#s-40616)

CrestCore Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Sep 12 2024, 07:26
Quote from @Dean Harris:

@Daniel Windingstad

This is alwasy a popular question and everyone will likely suggest the location they are investing in. I invest in Memphis, TN and have a large portfolio of SF properties here. Im sourcing a strong tenant base with the properties I am buying and my average rent is just under $1700. You will be able to find cash flow and some appreciation here in Memphis. I often see the 1% rule all they way yo to the $140,000-$150,000 price range. 

Best of luck!

So are you saying ALL IN 170k with rent of $1700? All in 150k rent of $1500 ? 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Dean Harris
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Sep 12 2024, 08:02

I dont see them much in that 1700 range. I do see the 1% rule in 80,000-150,000 range in Memphis

CrestCore Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Sep 12 2024, 08:11
Quote from @Dean Harris:

I dont see them much in that 1700 range. I do see the 1% rule in 80,000-150,000 range in Memphis

Ok so 125k all in rent 1200? WOW I really am spoiled. I get 2% rule. All in 75k rent 1700, all in 90k, rent 2k, 

All the best to you 

User Stats

Votes
Dean Harris
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Sep 12 2024, 11:37
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Dean Harris:

Ok so 125k all in rent 1200? WOW I really am spoiled. I get 2% rule. All in 75k rent 1700, all in 90k, rent 2k, 

All the best to you 

Single Fam? Section 8? There has to be some challenge or the entire country would be in your back yard! :)

CrestCore Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Sep 12 2024, 12:20
Quote from @Dean Harris:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Dean Harris:

All the best to you 

Single Fam? Section 8? There has to be some challenge or the entire country would be in your back yard! :)

Actually no, and the entire word is and has been " in my backyard"  for many years. I know dozens of investors from Israel, Spain, Belgium and all over America, that have purchased 100s and 100s there We used to get 3% rule however prices have tripled and much much more over the last 10 years, 

User Stats

Votes
John Williams
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Clarksville, TN
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Clarksville, TN
Replied Sep 12 2024, 13:21

Start with an established team member in your desired out-of-state market. A great broker, property manager, lender, flipper, etc. can open many doors for you and allow you to leverage their networks. You don't have to reinvent the wheel - just align yourself with a great group of folks who are doing what you want to do in that market!

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Sep 12 2024, 13:41
Quote from @Dean Harris:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Dean Harris:

All the best to you 

No Challege, I have a team that takes care of it all for me, of course I oversee and consult. I have been and am still doing, lets just say a lot of business in my market. Best part I'm on the beach in FL,,,,,,  

All the best to you 

User Stats

Votes
James Wachob
Property Manager
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Sep 12 2024, 15:05

Hello, 

Have you considered looking into Memphis, TN? It could be a fantastic market for what you're trying to achieve. Memphis offers a relatively low cost of entry compared to many other markets, which can help with cash flow right from the start. The city has a diverse and growing economy, with a solid rental market that's often appealing to investors. Additionally, the landlord-tenant laws there are generally more favorable compared to what you might be experiencing in Minneapolis.

Of course, investing out of state comes with its own set of challenges, like managing properties from afar and understanding local market nuances. However, with the right property management team and a bit of research, Memphis could offer the cash flow and profitability you’re looking for.

If you decide to explore this option, I’d be happy to share more insights or connect you with resources that could help you get started

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Sep 12 2024, 15:07
Quote from @James Wachob:

Hello, 

Have you considered looking into Memphis, TN? It could be a fantastic market for what you're trying to achieve. Memphis offers a relatively low cost of entry compared to many other markets, which can help with cash flow right from the start. The city has a diverse and growing economy, with a solid rental market that's often appealing to investors. Additionally, the landlord-tenant laws there are generally more favorable compared to what you might be experiencing in Minneapolis.

Of course, investing out of state comes with its own set of challenges, like managing properties from afar and understanding local market nuances. However, with the right property management team and a bit of research, Memphis could offer the cash flow and profitability you’re looking for.

If you decide to explore this option, I’d be happy to share more insights or connect you with resources that could help you get started

My partner did a lot of biz there about 7 8 years ago then left to join me. Have the numbers improved? Please provide an example of your last deal, all in and rent. If attractive I'm open 

Thanks