Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Timur Salikov
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Crazy property tax increase in Cincinnati Ohio

Timur Salikov
  • Cincinnati, OH
Posted Aug 19 2024, 09:29

Hey guys, 

I bought a 4 unit in Cincinnati in 2020. This month my mortgage payment jumped overnight from $2100 to $3000. Called the mortgage company and they said my insurance has gone up somewhat, but its mostly my property taxes. Then I did a Hamilton county auditor property search and saw my property value went from 167k to 320k, to the amount I bought it for a few years ago. So basically Ill be paying 12K a year for property taxes on a 320k building. Does that sound correct? Can anything be done about this? That's basically a 3.75% tax rate for Hamilton County. Whenever I do any google searches I don't see any rates that high. Seems astronomical to me.

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
Agent
#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Aug 19 2024, 12:39
Quote from @Timur Salikov:

Hey guys, 

I bought a 4 unit in Cincinnati in 2020. This month my mortgage payment jumped overnight from $2100 to $3000. Called the mortgage company and they said my insurance has gone up somewhat, but its mostly my property taxes. Then I did a Hamilton county auditor property search and saw my property value went from 167k to 320k, to the amount I bought it for a few years ago. So basically Ill be paying 12K a year for property taxes on a 320k building. Does that sound correct? Can anything be done about this? That's basically a 3.75% tax rate for Hamilton County. Whenever I do any google searches I don't see any rates that high. Seems astronomical to me.

You should have gotten a letter to contest the increase. A lot of property owners missed this letter though

User Stats

Votes
Timur Salikov
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Aug 19 2024, 18:18

Hmmm, hard to contest the price evaluation because I bought it at 320k and thats what its valued at. I'm just dont understand the rate they are using. It seems off to me. 

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Sam McCormack
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Aug 20 2024, 07:12
Quote from @Timur Salikov:

Hey guys, 

It is ridiculous, I am going to shoot you a message now about it now

User Stats

Votes
Marc Winter
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Northeast PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Northeast PA
Replied Aug 20 2024, 07:22

Timur,

Try visiting the assessor's office to discuss the valuation and millage rates.  Also, ask about the tax protest process for your location.  Just keep in mind, that a tax re-evaluation request MIGHT result in a higher tax. 

Good luck.  Keep investing a moving forward!

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Dunn
  • Investor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied Aug 20 2024, 12:14

You can always fight it. But your right it based off a % of the value. But that is a huge jump in one year.