Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Timur Salikov
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Crazy property tax increase in Cincinnati Ohio

Timur Salikov
  • Cincinnati, OH
Posted Aug 19 2024, 09:29

Hey guys, 

I bought a 4 unit in Cincinnati in 2020. This month my mortgage payment jumped overnight from $2100 to $3000. Called the mortgage company and they said my insurance has gone up somewhat, but its mostly my property taxes. Then I did a Hamilton county auditor property search and saw my property value went from 167k to 320k, to the amount I bought it for a few years ago. So basically Ill be paying 12K a year for property taxes on a 320k building. Does that sound correct? Can anything be done about this? That's basically a 3.75% tax rate for Hamilton County. Whenever I do any google searches I don't see any rates that high. Seems astronomical to me.

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
Agent
#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Aug 19 2024, 12:39
Quote from @Timur Salikov:

Hey guys, 

I bought a 4 unit in Cincinnati in 2020. This month my mortgage payment jumped overnight from $2100 to $3000. Called the mortgage company and they said my insurance has gone up somewhat, but its mostly my property taxes. Then I did a Hamilton county auditor property search and saw my property value went from 167k to 320k, to the amount I bought it for a few years ago. So basically Ill be paying 12K a year for property taxes on a 320k building. Does that sound correct? Can anything be done about this? That's basically a 3.75% tax rate for Hamilton County. Whenever I do any google searches I don't see any rates that high. Seems astronomical to me.

You should have gotten a letter to contest the increase. A lot of property owners missed this letter though

User Stats

Votes
Timur Salikov
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Aug 19 2024, 18:18

Hmmm, hard to contest the price evaluation because I bought it at 320k and thats what its valued at. I'm just dont understand the rate they are using. It seems off to me. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Sam McCormack
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Aug 20 2024, 07:12
Quote from @Timur Salikov:

Hey guys, 

It is ridiculous, I am going to shoot you a message now about it now

User Stats

Votes
Marc Winter
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Northeast PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Northeast PA
Replied Aug 20 2024, 07:22

Timur,

Try visiting the assessor's office to discuss the valuation and millage rates.  Also, ask about the tax protest process for your location.  Just keep in mind, that a tax re-evaluation request MIGHT result in a higher tax. 

Good luck.  Keep investing a moving forward!

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Dunn
  • Investor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied Aug 20 2024, 12:14

You can always fight it. But your right it based off a % of the value. But that is a huge jump in one year.